Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 12:37 AM

4 posts, read 11,492 times

Advertisements

I've been talking with my wife recently about buying a home up in Lake Arrowhead. I don't have a ton of money but I would like to be in Arrowhead Woods so I would have lake rights. It seems that the places closest to the lake are the most expensive, but I had a few questions about the pros and cons of a couple of the Arrowhead Woods areas that are a bit further away from the lake:

1. Arrowhead Woods (Twin Peaks area) - This is the area south of the country club, but north of Twin Peaks, yet still in Arrowhead Woods. Any pros and cons I should be aware of? Why are the homes less expensive in this area? Any unique problems or issues in this area?

2. Arrowhead Woods (Cedar Glen area) - This is the eastern end of the lake near Cedar Glen, but again still within Arrowhead Woods. Homes appear to be less expensive in this area as well. Any reason why this is the case? Any unique problems or issues in this area?

We are fans of areas that are more heavily wooded (we actually like Skyforest a lot, but it doesn't have lake rights). My understanding is that the south side of the lake is the more wooded part of the lake, correct? Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 06:54 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
I've lived in Lake Arrowhead for 14 years, so I believe I can answer your questions.

1. The Twin Peaks area of Arrowhead Woods used to be extremely desirable. This is called "The Summit" area. The homes there were built in the early 1990's and used to be highly coveted. In 2005, at the peak of the real estate market, homes there commanded close to a million dollars. Nowadays, the Summit is considered relatively UNDESIRABLE. Why? You're totally disconnected from the lake, which completely drives home prices. You're also close to Twin Peaks, which houses many illegals and "day laborers." Sorry if that offends some people, but it is what it is.

In addition, the 2007 fire destroyed a lot of views from homes on Walnut Hills and Fairway. Homes which used to have a killer view now overlook a barren wasteland.

2. The area around Cedar Glen is also not desirable, for the same reason living adjacent to Twin Peaks isn't desirable. However, the Palisades area of the Woods (close to Cedar Glen), is HIGHLY desirable and closer to the lake. People buying in Lake Arrowhead generally don't want to be close to Cedar Glen-- again, a lot of cheap houses and rentals.

Obviously lakefronts command the highest prices, but that's probably out of your price range. The closer to the lake you are, the better for desirability and resale. I have a great lake view home on the west side of the lake, but lake views just don't command the price they used to. The real estate market in Arrowhead is still very soft.

For my money, the most desirable and affordable areas of Lake Arrowhead are the west side of the lake, and the south side. The north shore used to be coveted, but the bark beetle ravaged it. The west and south sides are most heavily wooded and the most beautiful, to me. The golf course area is overpriced and dated. Most people don't golf anymore and the homes there are from the 60's and 70's and show considerable dating.

Hope this helps. If you have additional questions, I'd be glad to try and help you.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:47 AM

4 posts, read 11,492 times
Thank you Ulysses61 - glad to get the input of someone who has been in the area as long as you have! As mentioned in my initial message, I also prefer the most heavily wooded areas. When you say you prefer the west and south side, can you give me a bit more detail regarding the location (i.e. areas/streets/landmarks) you are referring to? I'd like to check out the area.

Also, I know from the map that there is some sort of church camp in the Twin Peaks/Arrowhead area. Do you know anything about how busy/noisy it is?

Old 10-17-2014, 12:24 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
Main streets on the west side of the lake would be Pioneer, Cottonwood. The South side would be streets off of Kuffel Canyon and in that general reas (John Muir Road, etc.)

The church camp is not close to the Woods at all, Pinecrest is in Twin Peaks, off the 189. Not a problem.

Old 08-08-2020, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I've lived in Lake Arrowhead for 14 years, so I believe I can answer your questions.

1. The Twin Peaks area of Arrowhead Woods used to be extremely desirable. This is called "The Summit" area. The homes there were built in the early 1990's and used to be highly coveted. In 2005, at the peak of the real estate market, homes there commanded close to a million dollars. Nowadays, the Summit is considered relatively UNDESIRABLE. Why? You're totally disconnected from the lake, which completely drives home prices. You're also close to Twin Peaks, which houses many illegals and "day laborers." Sorry if that offends some people, but it is what it is.

In addition, the 2007 fire destroyed a lot of views from homes on Walnut Hills and Fairway. Homes which used to have a killer view now overlook a barren wasteland.

2. The area around Cedar Glen is also not desirable, for the same reason living adjacent to Twin Peaks isn't desirable. However, the Palisades area of the Woods (close to Cedar Glen), is HIGHLY desirable and closer to the lake. People buying in Lake Arrowhead generally don't want to be close to Cedar Glen-- again, a lot of cheap houses and rentals.

Obviously lakefronts command the highest prices, but that's probably out of your price range. The closer to the lake you are, the better for desirability and resale. I have a great lake view home on the west side of the lake, but lake views just don't command the price they used to. The real estate market in Arrowhead is still very soft.

For my money, the most desirable and affordable areas of Lake Arrowhead are the west side of the lake, and the south side. The north shore used to be coveted, but the bark beetle ravaged it. The west and south sides are most heavily wooded and the most beautiful, to me. The golf course area is overpriced and dated. Most people don't golf anymore and the homes there are from the 60's and 70's and show considerable dating.

Hope this helps. If you have additional questions, I'd be glad to try and help you.
We are looking for a vacation home with lake rights and appreciate your information.
Any other advice or tip you might share to guide us to the right search area.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties