Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:35 PM

375 posts, read 609,218 times

Advertisements

Just retired and considering relocating to Idyllwild but wondering what living there year round might be like for an aging single boomer.

Visited many years ago and liked that it's up the hill in the pines from Palm Springs and therefore considerably cooler in summer. Have read that it's fairly touristy and artsy, both of which seem great. Are locals welcoming of newcomers who aren't family oriented? Much bigotry?

Any issues getting home-repair workmen to come up from P.S. when needed - and do they charge more to service Idyllwild; or is Idyllwild fairly well served locally? Big box stores like Costco and Home Depot in Palm Springs?

Is snow much of a consideration in winter?

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 12:57 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Any issues getting home-repair workmen to come up from P.S. when needed - and do they charge more to service Idyllwild; or is Idyllwild fairly well served locally? Big box stores like Costco and Home Depot in Palm Springs?
Friends who live in Idyllwild look to Hemet - not Palm Springs - if they need something that Idyllwild doesn't supply.
Half the distance, mileage-wise.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Friends who live in Idyllwild look to Hemet - not Palm Springs - if they need something that Idyllwild doesn't supply.
Half the distance, mileage-wise.
Good to know, thanks.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:00 AM

Also interested in that general area. Don't require the typical retirement village development, or a great school system; just a safe, quiet place with an older population - would Pine Cove and Idyllwild qualify? Any other mountain towns more inviting for the retired crowd?

Old 10-25-2014, 09:06 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,332,505 times
It's a nice and charming-if somewhat touristy/artsy type of place. I've driven through there many times, though not recently. And always liked the look and feel of the town.

It's great if you can move-and STAY there. Commuting up and down the hill-especially on the Banning (hwy 243) side daily would get old. Quick. Once or twice a week would be tolerable, but that's about it. The Hemet side isn't as bad, but still very curvy and winding. Don't even think about taking the Palm Springs side unless you take some Dramamine first. Trust me on this.

On the flip side however, there are a number of other mountain communities relatively close by. And you MUST try the Julian Pie Company and all of their baked goodies. Thank God I am not close to them. But if I lived up there, I'd be doing a lot of hiking to burn it all off.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:49 PM

Thanks, Des. Yes, I understand that winding mountain road up to Idyllwild can be a pain, so I'm prepared to hunker down for days a a time if I have to - which may be the case in winter.

Interested to hear pros and cons from those of you who have lived there or still do.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:52 PM

136 posts, read 196,873 times
I grew up in Idyllwild in the years 1968-1976. No doubt the place has changed, but I can attest to weather and road stuff.

I used to take the school bus everyday to Hemet, so I know the road well. It can be a ***** in the winter. And you have to go to Hemet to do any real shopping, as Idyllwild grocery stores don't offer much. So you'll need to learn how to drive those windy roads in the snow.

It's beautiful there in the summer, nice and cool.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:34 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,602 times
Why not try Lake Arrowhead instead? It's far lovelier, more going on and the commute up and down the 18 is a breeze compared to leaving Idyllwild for Banning. That drive is long and hellish, especially when stuck behind a slowpoke driver.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro25 View Post
I grew up in Idyllwild in the years 1968-1976. No doubt the place has changed, but I can attest to weather and road stuff.

I used to take the school bus everyday to Hemet, so I know the road well. It can be a ***** in the winter. And you have to go to Hemet to do any real shopping, as Idyllwild grocery stores don't offer much. So you'll need to learn how to drive those windy roads in the snow.

It's beautiful there in the summer, nice and cool.
I've only visited once or twice and that was many years ago; but I recall that winding mountain road. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I presume that Idyllwild isn't snowbound for weeks at a time. Being retired, I can easily wait out a week-long snow storm.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:17 PM

136 posts, read 196,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpv View Post
I've only visited once or twice and that was many years ago; but I recall that winding mountain road. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I presume that Idyllwild isn't snowbound for weeks at a time. Being retired, I can easily wait out a week-long snow storm.
Correct. It's not snowbound for weeks at a time, but the snow does get old. Idyllwild is 5000 feet high. The temperature stays low throughout the winter, which means the snow lingers and the roads are icy in the mornings and evenings.

I have fond memories of the place. It's beautiful and unique in southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties