Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:11 PM

16 posts, read 28,971 times

Advertisements

Currently live in central OH and have been looking to relocate to CA for a few years now.

I am single and have no kids.

Took a 9-6PM M->F job offer in Chino CA and now need to find a place to live.

Things I Am Looking For:
I think I could afford up to $2000/month rent (ideally have a 2 car garage for my toys).

Right now I'm thinking of maybe a 30 min commute max.

I like the outdoors (hiking, bicycling, motorcycling, and want to get into many other things) so easy access to the mountains and mild(er) temperatures would be best.

Minimal allergies (my spring time allergies here in central OH leave me incapacitated for 2 months)

Close to civilization

Relatively low crime

Reasonably close to fun driving/motorcycling roads

Relatively good air quality

Good racial diversity (one of the reasons I'm moving out of OH)

Things That Aren't Super Important To Me:
Access to beach (I wouldn't go every weekend)

Bars/nightlife (moving there for the weather and weekend travel opportunities)

For some reason, Chino had this odd smell, so I'd prefer not to stay there. The cow farms, flies and other things that I've read on this forum are also other reasons not to stay there.

Here were some of the places I was thinking of:
- Azusa
- West Covina
- Hacienda Heights
- Yorba Linda
- Anaheim Hills
- Diamond Bar

Please let me know your experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 09:28 PM

162 posts, read 379,711 times
Just live in Chino Hills

Old 11-10-2014, 10:16 PM

458 posts, read 1,258,771 times
Unfortunately I do not know much about the areas you are looking at as far as rents, crime, etc. I know the area and you will be close to plenty of outdoor activities. Plenty of good hiking in the surrounding mountains about an hour drive away. You can get up into some 10k peaks. Winter time these peaks will have snow. There is Big bear about an hour and a half drive if you want to ski in the winter and Mammoth mountain which is even better is about a 5 hour drive.

Not sure about air quality but I don't think it will change that much from each city you have listed since they all border LA and that is where a majority of the smog comes from.

Congrats and good luck. Lots of great things to do out here.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:41 AM

50 posts, read 88,926 times
Chino Hills is your best bet. You should be able to find a town home with a 2 car garage around that price. There are also apartments that have a detached one car garage for around 1400 - you can always rent another one if available. Plenty of hiking/mtb trails in Chino Hills, as well as some options for dirt biking. As far as fun roads to drive on, Carbon Canyon is a fun drive at night after the rush hour. Chino Hills State Park is 10-15 min away (depending on which side of town you're in). Higher elevation mountains can be accessed about 20-30 min away in the San Gabriel Mountains.. or an hour away in the San Gorgonio area.

Basically, you have everything you need here - safety, outdoors, shopping. As an outdoors person, the area is definitely convenient.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:56 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,466,178 times
Just live in Chino or Chino Hills. Being close to work is an absolute stress-saver.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:47 PM

For the people that are saying to live in Chino/Chino Hills, do you actually live there or have direct experience?

Not sure if it was me but the air seemed pungent when I was in Chino. Hard to describe it.

Seems like Chino Hills is more of a family oriented place?

It seems like staying south and west of Chino would be my best bet for minimal traffic.

Any advice on that?

Old 11-12-2014, 11:42 AM

593 posts, read 1,790,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzil View Post
For the people that are saying to live in Chino/Chino Hills, do you actually live there or have direct experience?

Not sure if it was me but the air seemed pungent when I was in Chino. Hard to describe it.

It seems like staying south and west of Chino would be my best bet for minimal traffic.

Any advice on that?
I lived in Chino for 23 years and you get used to the dairy air...I would suggest Chino Hills as they have riding trails and is a nice area. You're not too far from the mountains, Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear for a weekend trip..Just remember if you go too far East, you'll get more winds when the Santa Anas start blowing...DO NOT buy/rent near Archibald, Ontario as the wind is horrendous! Rips roofs off and can tip over big rigs...La Verne is a nice town too, but more expensive..

Old 11-12-2014, 06:18 PM

Why not Yorba Linda?

Old 11-12-2014, 07:07 PM

13,825 posts, read 29,828,016 times
Quote:
Why not Yorba Linda?
It's farther away than you need to be. Yorba Linda is just a more expensive Chino Hills with less diversity and a higher price tag.

I would say Chino Hills would be the first place for you to look. It checks most of your boxes.

EDIT: From your list:
Azusa is too far away and not very nice.
West Covina and Hacienda Heights are too far away unless you really need to be closer to LA.
Anaheim Hills: see what I wrote about Yorba Linda
Diamond Bar would be ok, just as soon as you overturned every rock in Chino Hills.

You could alternatively look in Corona, Upland, or Rancho Cucamonga.

SOURCE: I used to work in Chino Hills, and when I did, I lived in Rancho Cucamonga. Even that commute was longer than it needed to be.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:14 PM

162 posts, read 379,711 times
Quote:

Any advice on that?
I live in Chino. The dairy air does occur BUT It's not like it's 24/7. It's bad at night (like after midnight for a few hours) and right after it rains. Otherwise I don't notice it and it totally depends where in Chino. South Chino where I live (the Preserve) is much closer to dairy farms vs. North or West Chino

Chino Hills is just against the hills (where as Chino is in the valley next to it) but it's beautiful & checks nearly all of your boxes. You also need to get familiar with our traffic here. It's unlike anywhere else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties