Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 12:34 PM

16 posts, read 31,303 times

Advertisements

Firstly, I realize "desirable" is subjective and hopefully I don't offend anyone.

I've been reading a lot about Lake Arrowhead and I'm considering it as a potential retirement location. The biggest draw for my wife and I is that it's not too far from Perris Valley (skydiving Mecca) and it would provide a retreat from the summer heat that the IE is known for. In addition, all the outdoor activities are very appealing as we love to hike, run, ski, and just be in the outdoors.

Unlike many people, we like the idea of a HOA to keep some control on residents. We live in a house we purchased 26 years ago and have watched the neighborhood decline as people do as they please and show little or no consideration for those around them.

Being separated from bigger cities, but still being close to major municipalities is appealing and we are not put off by having to shovel some snow should the need arise. Needing a generator for occasional power outages doesn't alarm us either.

So, here are my concerns;

Looking at the prices of real estate in Lake Arrowhead, my first impression is that they are quite reasonable. My 2nd thought is a suspicious "why?"

I have read that the crime rate is surprising high for a small town, but I have to wonder if the statistics often published on various web-pages are based on incidents from nearby cities?

Based on some web-sites, the population has dropped in the last ten years. Is this based purely on the recession and people selling homes or is it indicative or higher crime or something else?

I think I've read just about every post on this forum regarding Lake Arrowhead and the surrounding mountain communities, but I would really appreciate if any residents or frequent visitors could provide any insight to the questions I had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 10:31 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
I live in Arrowhead and have for 14 years. The real estate prices are obscenely low. The real estate crash hit Arrowhead like a typhoon and it never has rebounded. Homes that sold for a million dollars in 2005 still haven't bounced back to even 60% of that level.

But the low real estate prices are extraneous from the town's desirability. There's no difference in living here from 2000 and now. There is no crime to speak of at all. I've never heard of ANY crime here except domestic abuse or petty theft. Anyone could buy a beautiful home here for $400,000 ansd your quality of life would be dramatically better than buying a $400,000 house in Rialto, Fontana, Beaumont... or anyplace else down the hill.

I have no idea where you get the idea there is any significant "crime" here. There isn't. People leave because they're bored. The frequent complaint is "there's nothing to do up here." Shopping is limited, there's no malls, fast food is limited to McDonalds and Subway. I have never once been bored, but I like privacy, seclusion and am an off-beat person.

You also don't need a generator. Those days are gone. There hasn't been a significant power outage here since 2007.

Last edited by Ulysses61; 11-12-2014 at 10:55 AM..

Old 11-12-2014, 01:23 PM

16 posts, read 31,303 times
Ulysses61,

Thank you very much for the reply. Being a 14 year resident, I give high credibility to your opinion.

As I mentioned in my post, I question the accuracy of the high crime statics, but as an example, here are a few links,

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The more I read about Lake Arrowhead and the surrounding area, the better it sounds. Again, it was the low real estate and the odd high crime figures that compelled me to post.

Thank you for clarifying matters.

Last edited by Yac; 11-20-2014 at 06:16 AM..

Old 11-12-2014, 05:12 PM

375 posts, read 609,505 times
Not to hijack this thread, but how does Arrowhead compare to Idyllwild as far as desirability is concerned for someone looking for a very quiet retirement spot? I presume that Arrowhead is busier, having a larger population, and that property value appreciation is likely to be better there than Idyllwild.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:57 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
Landmissle, those stats are for surrounding communites like Crestline, Bluejay, Cedar Glen, etc.

I don't think you would regret retiring to Lake Arrowhead at all. It's a lovely and amazing place to live. Take advantage of the low real estate prices, there are incredible deals to be had all over the place.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,707 times
Lake Arrowhead, is the Beverly Hills of the San Bernardino Mountain.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:07 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,078 times
I left my heart in those mountains, its a wonderful lifestyle. Never feared crime. Fires were one of my main reason for leaving.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:14 PM

15 posts, read 26,548 times
Is it so beautiful, so I too get suspicious of the low prices. Are they low because the land is Leased? I looked at a few houses, the HOA is about $800/month. Yikes! And, as I understand from the word "Fee" in the "Land Lease Type" feature, homeowners will have to pay for leasing fee for the land on top of the HOA fee? Both fees are adjustable. I don't know if I like that kind of uncertainty.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:31 PM

162 posts, read 381,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hle2000 View Post
Is it so beautiful, so I too get suspicious of the low prices. Are they low because the land is Leased? I looked at a few houses, the HOA is about $800/month. Yikes! And, as I understand from the word "Fee" in the "Land Lease Type" feature, homeowners will have to pay for leasing fee for the land on top of the HOA fee? Both fees are adjustable. I don't know if I like that kind of uncertainty.
Fee Simple means it's not a land lease

Old 04-06-2015, 09:50 PM

105 posts, read 317,278 times
I think the fires made people rethink living there, or spending a lot to have a second home there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties