Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:03 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times

Advertisements

i thought Big Bear didnt snow during the 2013-14 winter season
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 04:31 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
California is in a major drought, especially SoCal. That means no rain, no snow.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:24 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
I was disappointed when it didn't snow last year like in the 'good old days'. So far there are no indications that it will snow this winter. This drought is a terrible thing. It is affecting our economy in so many ways.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:37 PM

919 posts, read 848,355 times
Is there any way we can re-route Washinton and Oregon's surplus water down here to California?
My guess is, not any more. The environmentalists will have a cow, and the government won't be willing to spend the money they would rather use on other pet projects.
Sorry, rant over.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:23 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
"Mother nature decided to throw a little surprise our way last night with some snow! Things took on a wintry hue as the sun came up this morning and the mountains look beautiful with a little more than a touch of snow. This should help our snowmaking crew at least a bit as they continue to work toward opening the resort. Snow Summit Resort has been making snow when conditions allow and beginning tomorrow we start what looks like a great window of conditions for laying down our man made snow!" http://www.snowsummit.com/ski/wp-con...RST-SNOW-4.jpg

Old 11-25-2014, 12:41 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElOsito View Post
Before you buy in the San Bernardino Mountains, take a little time to check out your prospective neighbors. I have found (from extensive experience and from time living in the mountains) that SoCal mountain properties can be hit or miss, down to the street block -- and the best way to get a quick read of this is by taking a few minutes to get to know people in the immediate area. For example, I've encountered wonderful neighbors in Running Springs and Big Bear, and people I would never want to live near in Lake Arrowhead and the Lake Gregory area of Crestline (and vice versa). Trust me -- do not buy a cabin or a property without getting to know its surroundings.
I would not ignore this advice.

Keep in mind that the foreclosures ferreted out a lot of the problem children(esp those with substance abuse/sales issues). So the problem is nowhere near as bad as it was 10 years ago.

But most definitely find out who lives next to you. The police there in Big Bear are pretty good about letting you know if you'll have problems in a particular area, if you ask.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:37 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
Thanks for the tips. I might switch jobs so I don't know if I will end up out there or not. My gut tells me this winter is going to be bad for snow in CA in general. I probably need to figure out a new sport. I just thought it seemed nice up there anyway and easy enough to get into LA for a meeting once a week. I always wanted to live in the mountains somewhere but most places are either too redneck or too billionaire. I thought the Big Bear area might be somewhere in between.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:08 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
My gut tells me this winter is going to be bad for snow in CA in general. I probably need to figure out a new sport.
Maybe not! Fresh snow blankets Southern California mountains - LA Times

Old 12-21-2014, 12:37 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
We had a cabin up in Big Bear. We rarely really used it. We tried renting it to people but having yo go up to make sure the things were in order was a pita. I ALWAYS needed to do something that people renting were supposed to do before leaving. Lots of work.
You want to go skiing. Go rent a place for the weekend. You'll be money ahead

Old 12-27-2014, 11:32 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
I agree that owning a ski rental can be a headache, but I'd be living up there full time, not renting it out. Sadly I may have to move to Chicago instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties