Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,621 times

Advertisements

My company is looking to relocate me from Pittsburgh, PA to CA to run one of our Distribution Centers located in Fontana, CA (located just south of the 10 and east of the 15). I have been in the area looking at potential target areas to look for a home and this group seems to have some very knowledgeable people that I'm hoping can weigh in.

I feel like I first need to note that I have moved around a lot in my life but have never lived on the west coast. I grew up In Michigan, went to college and worked in Indiana, spent 7 years living in Atlanta, GA and was relocated to Pittsburgh, PA about 1.5 years ago.

I am married and we have two children ages 3 and 5, the oldest will be entering 1st grade this fall, and 2 dogs.

I am looking for areas that are safe, have good schools, family friendly, relatively close to amenities and parks, and are not a significant commute to and from work. It is also very important to us to find an area that is welcoming to new people moving to the area that are not born and raised in southern California (We have found Pittsburgh to be more closed off to accepting people that didn't grow up there).

I have been focused more on the Nothern Rancho area as the schools seem great, seems very safe, lots of close shopping areas, and ability to commute on surface streets.

I've driven through San Bernadino and Redlands areas but these didn't feel like 'home'. Northern Fontana (north of the 210 and by the 15) looks feasible. I've also driven down to the Murrietta and Temecula area just to look around after reading a lot of good things, but that is just too far to commute.

When driving back up the 15 I noticed how new and nice the southern Corona area looked and plan on checking that out more shortly....however it seems like with limited research that the schools in this area, while good, are not as good as the schools in northern Rancho. I'm also concerned about what commute on the 15 could look like during rush hour.

I will be looking first to rent a house if possible since my company will pay half my rent and this will give me a few years to get comfortable in the area, but I'm not apposed to purchasing a house up front. (will be looking for 4 bedroom house, w/ 3 car garage, pool, updated interior, and preferably some grass area for the dogs).

Are there any specific areas or neighborhoods that this group recommends? Anything else I need to know about these areas for someone not from the West Coast?

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 01:13 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
My nephew, wife, 2 kids, and assorted pets were happy in this neighborhood until he transferred to Arizona.

Best area to live for commuting to South East Fontana-capture.jpg

City Data has a page on it.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:22 PM

109 posts, read 141,587 times
^^ That is a very good neighborhood actually, both elementary schools score an 8 on GreatSchools.com. Or you can go for the area you mentioned north of the freeway, which is the "best" area of Fontana and might be the most "accepting" neighborhood since it's the newest and there might be more people there who moved from other areas of the country. Commutes should be short either way. Rancho is good but it's more expensive than even North Fontana, just because it's not Fontana, but the reality is it's just as safe and virtually the same demographic wise.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,621 times
Thank you. I had not looked at this neighborhood but I will make sure to. I had been operating under the impression that the only 'decent' area in Fontana was north of the 210...but given how close this is the Victoria Gardens area I can see how it would be good.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:04 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by showbox View Post
Thank you. I had not looked at this neighborhood but I will make sure to. I had been operating under the impression that the only 'decent' area in Fontana was north of the 210...but given how close this is the Victoria Gardens area I can see how it would be good.
Just wait until Fontucky shows up....he'll show ya some ropes.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:49 PM

65 posts, read 81,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
My nephew, wife, 2 kids, and assorted pets were happy in this neighborhood until he transferred to Arizona.

Attachment 142827

City Data has a page on it.
That area is call Village of Heritage, very nice home built out was late 1980's when Ontario Mills was being built out. All along the Baseline corridor from Upland/San Antonio Height area until you get to Citrus Ave in Fontana is nice. I'd look off the Summit ext on the I15 and Day Creek off the 215. Anywhere in Alta Loma, Etiwanda or Rancho you should be able to find a safe area with great home to chose from. Most have very good school because of the economic requirement to live there. I mean most household are more upscale ie better class of people. Lots of shopping and entertainment options in this area and close to your job without having to get on the freeway. Forget Temecula the drive in on the 15 is murder in the morning and afternoon. Newer homer 3/2 are renting for $2k/$3k and selling for $350k an up.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Just wait until Fontucky shows up....he'll show ya some ropes.
Have been wondering where/how Fontucky is - no posts since March 2014

Old 01-17-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
That a 1970 myth when Kasier Steel plant ruled Fontana. It has no truth today,simply drive along Sierra from the 10 to Foothill. Or any neighborhood adjacent and it's mostly Mexican people now a days. Sure there lots of whites left but lets say they have had to assimilate to the the new demographics.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara

Quote:
Originally Posted by longslim View Post
That a 1970 myth when Kasier Steel plant ruled Fontana. It has no truth today,simply drive along Sierra from the 10 to Foothill. Or any neighborhood adjacent and it's mostly Mexican people now a days. Sure there lots of whites left but lets say they have had to assimilate to the the new demographics.
Um, huh?
I was wondering where the long-time CD poster Fontucky went to.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
[/i]

Um, huh?
I was wondering where the long-time CD poster Fontucky went to.
I misunderstood didn't realize there's a poster by that name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties