Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 12:18 PM

102 posts, read 139,359 times

Advertisements

I will be living in Redlands for a few months in August, and I am really looking forward to it. It may turn into something long-term in the near future.

I have never been to southern California before, but from what I have read, Redlands has the best of this area with little of the bad (A little more affordable, less traffic, still a lot of entertainment, charming, great weather, near many large cities, national parks).

Anyways, I have lived most of my life in the south and am just ready for a culture change. I have heard Californians, in general, are not that friendly, or at least, not out-of-the-way friendly like many southern people.

So what should I expect? I love to ride my bike, eat unique food, and spend my time outdoors. I am also considered rather liberal regarding most issues in South Carolina.

Thanks for any help and I am sorry for the vague post.

I am looking forward to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 01:24 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,205,374 times
hot summers, good mexican food, more latinos (general diversity), ocean proximity (more like lack thereof), traffic!!!!!, etc.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:10 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,390,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH89 View Post
I will be living in Redlands for a few months in August, and I am really looking forward to it. It may turn into something long-term in the near future.

I have never been to southern California before, but from what I have read, Redlands has the best of this area with little of the bad (A little more affordable, less traffic, still a lot of entertainment, charming, great weather, near many large cities, national parks).

Anyways, I have lived most of my life in the south and am just ready for a culture change. I have heard Californians, in general, are not that friendly, or at least, not out-of-the-way friendly like many southern people.

So what should I expect? I love to ride my bike, eat unique food, and spend my time outdoors. I am also considered rather liberal regarding most issues in South Carolina.

Thanks for any help and I am sorry for the vague post.

I am looking forward to it.
Redlands is not a bad choice, for what you have in mind.

College town, quaint and attractive, especially by IE standards. Cute downtown, coffee shops and cafes, bookstores, vintage shops, bars and pubs.

Very bike friendly, too, with an active road club, as well as lots of bike lanes.

Cool homes, in the Craftsman and Victorian styles. Shady tree-lined streets.

Weather is hot and humid in Aug, but coming from SC, you'll probably laugh at it.

Will you have access to a car? You'll be two hours from the nearest beach. But the San Bernardino Mountains are practically hanging over your head, and they're beautiful in August. Big Bear Lake is at 7000 ft, and 20* cooler than the valley. Great hiking, Mtn biking, camping, fishing etc.

Don't worry about what you heard about how unfriendly people in CA are. If your friendly, they'll be friendly.

Hope you make it out here, and have a good time.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:14 PM

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

I hope it didn't seem like I was characterizing all Californians. I just know that sometimes people can be a little snotty when they know they live in a great place.

My gf and I will have a car and we are certainly looking forward to some weekend trips. We are definitely more mountain people than ocean anyways.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:01 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,390,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH89 View Post
Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

I hope it didn't seem like I was characterizing all Californians. I just know that sometimes people can be a little snotty when they know they live in a great place.

My gf and I will have a car and we are certainly looking forward to some weekend trips. We are definitely more mountain people than ocean anyways.
You're welcome!

Old 04-02-2014, 02:00 AM

3 posts, read 4,765 times
redlands is awesome! people are friendly there. the downtown area is nice to walk and eat somegood food. its a good spot in the inland empire. i think its pretty too, the mountains arent too far away. i hope you like it let us know what you think of it.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannerdrae View Post
redlands is awesome! people are friendly there. the downtown area is nice to walk and eat somegood food. its a good spot in the inland empire. i think its pretty too, the mountains arent too far away. i hope you like it let us know what you think of it.
Thank you very much. I'm very excited. There is so much to see in Redlands and in the surrounding area.

I have always said I prefer cooler weather, but that's because I have experienced some really hot, humid summers here in SC. I don't think I will have much to complain about in Southern California, though.

Thanks, guys!

Old 04-11-2014, 02:45 PM

144 posts, read 259,702 times
Born and raised in Redlands until I moved for college back East. I always love coming back to Redlands - such a quaint town with a real town feel, vibrant downtown, well-managed city and still quite a bit of 'mom and pop' shops. I don't know how they do it, but the Redlands PD keep the gangbangers away and the trash from San Berdo from entering into the city - at least full-time.

You'll love it in Redlands, a lot of people come and they never leave, nice people.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:51 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,150,618 times
Hi and welcome!
Be sure to do your homework housing-wise. There are quite a few choices and as always location, location, location makes a difference!

Old 04-12-2014, 09:00 PM

852 posts, read 3,815,883 times
Good and bad areas, like everywhere, but there is a charm to much of the place that is distinct from similar suburban cities. The college is terrific but pricey, and while the housing near it is hit and miss, it isn't far from some lovely neighborhoods. Downtown on State Street is great, and Orange is much improved from my hoodie days. We used to have to go to San Bernardino for any shopping, but that has changed for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties