U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 09:47 PM

5,610 posts, read 22,352,565 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a quick trip to San Diego, and on the way back to Phoenix on Saturday I decided to take a detour, going up I-15, 215, and taking I-10 to Phoenix instead of I-8. So I saw a good portion of the Inland Empire for the first time! I stopped and walked around in old town Temecula, UC Riverside, downtown Riverside, and Redlands. While none of those areas compares to San Diego, which is unparalleled in beauty IMO, I have to say I was impressed! First off, beautiful mountain views all around with snow capped peaks! That was really weird, seeing palm trees and other subtropical vegetation on the ground and snow in the distance. The closest thing that reminded me of was Tucson, AZ-- which has high mountains rising above the desert floor. I now understand what people were talking about when they said the IE isn't a true desert-- the landscape looked much greener and lusher than Phoenix. The hillsides looked really green! I didn't notice that much pollution either, except for some areas as I was passing through Riverside. Traffic moved okay until I got to the junction with I-215 and CA-60, then with all the construction it was bumper to bumper, stop and go (and on a Saturday afternoon!)

Old Town Temecula looked nice, kind of reminded me of what downtown Scottsdale looked like 10 years ago. I'm in my 20s, and I'm not a biker, so Temecula isn't really my "scene." Beautiful area though. UC Riverside is a beautiful campus, IMO, and I like how it integrates into the surrounding neighborhood. Downtown Riverside was nice for a suburban downtown. I liked the pedestrian only street. I had lunch at some fast food Chinese place there. The mission Hotel was nice. After getting back on the freeway (the 91 this time), I got kind of lost and ended up skirting around San Bernardino. My last stop was Redlands. I thought the University of Redlands was one of the most beautiful college campuses I've ever seen. The mountain scenery there was awesome. The town seemed kind of boring, but beautiful. Overall, I was impressed by what I saw. I don't see how the IE is as bad as some people say. Here are attachments of some pictures I took (let's see if anyone on this forum can recognize them!):
Attached Thumbnails
Impressions of the Inland Empire-dsc01707.jpg   Impressions of the Inland Empire-dsc01710.jpg   Impressions of the Inland Empire-dsc01716.jpg   Impressions of the Inland Empire-dsc01722.jpg   Impressions of the Inland Empire-dsc01727.jpg  

Impressions of the Inland Empire-dsc01736.jpg   Impressions of the Inland Empire-dsc01743.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 10:32 AM

15,607 posts, read 39,370,364 times
So then, you passed through my neck of the woods - the Coachella Valley - on your way back to AZ.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:26 AM

216 posts, read 668,355 times
Thank you for a fantastic view of San Bernardino. I've lived in Big Bear for about 27 years and have always heard the talk of us as 'theres a lot of dirt in the IE' which there is. That is what I like about the area. It is not pretentious and doesn't try to be something its not. Thanks , do more areas!!!

Old 06-03-2013, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 3,850 times
As a native from San Diego, I was born and raised there went to college there and couldn't wait to get away. You never appreciate a place if you've been there all your life. Finally settled in Redlands in the late 90"s was great when the economy was good, beautiful area, especially in the winter. However, I would stay away from the IE if you are seeking employment until the economy improves, jobs are scarsce and there are a lot of poor people, ergo a lot of scammers and fraud.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:15 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,532,936 times
The problem with the I.E. is that it's caught in a Catch-22; people view it as undesirable because it's not as vibrant as the coastal cities, yet in order for it to be vibrant it needs to attract people.

Riverside and Redlands are wonderful cities, but they aren't appreciated because they are labeled as "I.E." cities. If they were located in O.C. they'd be flaunted as great communities.

Once the I.E. gains more appreciation and interest, expect to see Redlands and Riverside step in as flagship cities of this locale.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:33 AM

987 posts, read 1,651,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
The problem with the I.E. is that it's caught in a Catch-22; people view it as undesirable because it's not as vibrant as the coastal cities, yet in order for it to be vibrant it needs to attract people.

Riverside and Redlands are wonderful cities, but they aren't appreciated because they are labeled as "I.E." cities. If they were located in O.C. they'd be flaunted as great communities.

Once the I.E. gains more appreciation and interest, expect to see Redlands and Riverside step in as flagship cities of this locale.
This is so True

I love the IE & I have no problem telling people that, whether they smirk, frown or make snod noises about it, I don't care what they think, I think people are so close minded and only jump the band wagon of what cities most desirable according to what their peers or even the celebrities say. Dont' get me wrong I love the beaches & some parts of the city, but give me a big beautiful view of the mountains & deserts any day, and I'm a happy camper.

Redlands & Yucaipa are my favorite places to be.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:38 PM

920 posts, read 1,708,040 times
All seasons, except the summer, the IE is a damn nice place to live. Riverside is just fine, it's the folks who need constant stimulation, who can't appreciate the small town feel of the place, who seem to have a problem with the area. But summer is murder, way too hot and the air is terrible. Unemployment is awful, it's getting tougher to just get by....

Old 06-06-2013, 06:11 AM

13,782 posts, read 28,137,363 times
My wife just had a conversation with a woman here in Denver, who moved from Santa Monica to Riverside about 20 years ago, and then eventually moved here to Denver.

She thought Riverside was a much better place to live than Santa Monica (), and would go back to Riverside in an instant, if it weren't for the familial obligations she has here.

It really is good to hear good things about the IE for a change, it's so easy to be jaded by what is usually hearsay, or unpleasant memories (at least I'm growing out of mine ).

Old 06-06-2013, 04:16 PM

563 posts, read 714,549 times
The original post was written in '08, but the still the writer was lucky not to have seen the smog back up to the IE. We drive from Phoenix to OC all the time, and maybe only twice or twice in decades have we not seen it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties