Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Yucaipa CA a racist town?
Yes 7 16.28%
No 26 60.47%
A little 9 20.93%
Very! 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2017, 08:38 PM

661 posts, read 832,634 times

Advertisements

I would say no, not a racist town. There may be a few racist living there like any city, but not the norm by any means.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,776 times
I grew up in Redlands, which is next to Yucaipa. In the late 80s early 90s, when I was in high school, you didn't go up to Yucaipa after dark if you're a minority, unless you're with a large group of friends. However, it's not that bad now because of gentrification. But, of course, just like any town, there are parts that you will not be welcomed.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:27 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,614,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinJoe View Post
I grew up in Redlands, which is next to Yucaipa. In the late 80s early 90s, when I was in high school, you didn't go up to Yucaipa after dark if you're a minority, unless you're with a large group of friends. However, it's not that bad now because of gentrification. But, of course, just like any town, there are parts that you will not be welcomed.
Was it because of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jBF1dcTlcM

Old 02-19-2017, 09:49 AM

509 posts, read 484,592 times
My only experience in Yucaipa was when a friend of mine and I went on an idle Sunday drive on two-lanes across the San Gabriel Valley, Ontario, San Bernardino, and Redlands. We had no destination in mind; we just kept meandering until we got boxed in by the mountains, which is where Yucaipa is nestled.

It had been a long drive, so we got out to stretch our legs and walk about town. We knew absolutely zero about the place; we just wandered where we fancied, up and down random streets.

During the span of a 90-minute walk, at least half a dozen people (presumably Yucaipa residents) smiled at us and said hello, which I thought was noteworthy enough to mention to friends back home. I am a white male, and my friend is an Asian female. She commented to me that she thought the vibe (at least on the surface, which is all we could see) was friendly (In other places, she could identify 'unfriendly' vibes of a subtle racial nature that I often didn't notice myself, but would see in retrospect). As for myself, I am an old city slicker, and still am not used to smiles and greetings from people on the street, so maybe I am making more out of this than I should. But as we started heading back to the car, and encountered something like the 6th or 7th friendly Yucaipan (?), I almost felt like blurting out "you sure have a friendly town!"

As I said, I only saw the surface of Yucaipa on a lazy Sunday for about 90 minutes. I have no knowledge of what skeletons it may have in its closets. But other towns in the region didn't impress me as much with such easygoing, welcoming first impressions.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:28 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,136,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Nice bluegrass soundtrack from that flick. Great banjo playing is racist?

Old 03-03-2017, 06:24 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Nice bluegrass soundtrack from that flick. Great banjo playing is racist?
I guess to some very narrow minded people it could be.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:10 AM

8 posts, read 10,880 times
Nowadays - particularly this year, all you have to do is type Yucaipa in a Twitter search (full month of Yucaipa tweets in June) has a cornucopia of posts on this very subject. There’s a controversial T-shirt that surfaced recently that can be found (Jun 28 tweets) and on Facebook type in search Yucaipa racist shirts & bountiful of pictures & posts pop up. And a video also surfaced- on Twitter a group claiming they ran out Antifa (was proven false by their local police & other circuits) it was a group of ten protesters targeted by over 100 locals on June 1st. The town is mostly Caucasian & Hispanic, but as the houses out there are dirt cheap & area safer than surrounding San Bernardino, other minorities particularly people of color among other minorities are starting to move there & well you can figure out the rest. It’s neither here or there but you’d have to see it for yourself. It’s been mentioned Norco & Huntington Beach are just as bad.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:46 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Vintage View Post
It’s been mentioned Norco & Huntington Beach are just as bad.
Norco? No. Not at all. Don't spread false rumors.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:49 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Norco? No. Not at all. Don't spread false rumors.
https://www.pe.com/three-norco-high-...th-racial-slur
https://www.pe.com/african-american-...rona-classmate

I attended both Norco Elementary and Norco Intermediate schools back in the 90's. Completely anecdotal, but even back then I remember being harassed by skinheads when walking from one school to the other while passing by Norco High.

In the mid 2000's, CNUSD redrew the district to scoop up some of Corona Hills to attend Norco High, and they had to have special counselors come in and teach the existing kids to get along with the new black students.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:21 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
https://www.pe.com/three-norco-high-...th-racial-slur
https://www.pe.com/african-american-...rona-classmate

I attended both Norco Elementary and Norco Intermediate schools back in the 90's. Completely anecdotal, but even back then I remember being harassed by skinheads when walking from one school to the other while passing by Norco High.

In the mid 2000's, CNUSD redrew the district to scoop up some of Corona Hills to attend Norco High, and they had to have special counselors come in and teach the existing kids to get along with the new black students.
Never had any issues in Norco from 2007 through the next decade. Had a good friend living in Norco and never heard of any issues either. It may have changed since the 2000s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties