Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 22,918 times

Advertisements

We just purchased a home on the northeast side of Lake Gregory. How is that area in terms of crime? We've been reading a lot of negative remarks about Crestline. Is it really as bad as people are saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 10:04 AM

1,003 posts, read 790,751 times
No it's a very nice little mountain town, although I live just down the hill we spend time up there all the time. We like staying at the North shore inn, the people are very nice although we are considered flat landers.Lol

Old 01-23-2016, 04:26 PM

Lol thanks, we went up today again and ran into a few people. Everyone seems very nice. Feels like a different world from down the mountain.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:44 PM

728 posts, read 1,900,942 times
Like every city and town anywhere you go there are good parts and not so good parts and Crestline is no exception. The areas around Lake Gregory and considered the nicer areas. There are a few "trouble areas" located more towards the downtown area near the post office and off Lake Drive but generally it's a great little town with down to earth working class type of people.

Eventually you are going to get someone from Lake Arrowhead that's going to chime in about how Crestline is full of crack heads and crime infested and all these other negative comments but as a resident for the past 7 years I can tell it like it is without any bias.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:03 PM

Thanks for your feedback. We considered a couple of homes in Arrowhead in the 250 - 300 price range, but for the same price around Lake Gregory we got more square footage and imo, a nicer looking home. Seems like in Arrowhead you need to pass the 300 mark to get a similar house. The Village in Arrowhead looks a bit run-down these days, and based on crime maps I've been looking at recently it isn't exactly crime free, either. I also took into consideration that Crestline is an easier commute for me.

And you are right about the good/bad parts in any town, it isn't fair for Crestline to be generalized due to some bad spots. When I first started reading up on the town some of the comments scared me but as of yet do not match what we are experiencing.

Last edited by KrystalFaerie; 01-23-2016 at 06:15 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 04:28 PM

728 posts, read 1,900,942 times
If you plan on commuting then Crestline is the best choice. The 18 connecting to the 138 to Crestline is two lanes up and down so commuting is generally easy even with fog.

Winter weather is not as extreme as higher elevations and when there is snow most "flatlanders" head to Big Bear so we don't have huge crowds and tourist traffic on weekends and holidays.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:51 AM

3,899 posts, read 4,548,434 times
Crestline is sweet! My husband and I lived there for a few years early 2000's and loved it! We had to move though due to a new job and the commute was just too much unfortunately.
We really miss it, and alas we're now flatlanders, but at least we can visit like we did today! Had lunch at the Stockade, walked around the lake.. it was pretty nippy out there, but invigorating! Ended up having dinner at the Cottage in Rim Forest. Good casual italian place, huge portions!

Old 02-01-2016, 09:12 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,878,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrystalFaerie View Post
We just purchased a home on the northeast side of Lake Gregory. How is that area in terms of crime? We've been reading a lot of negative remarks about Crestline. Is it really as bad as people are saying?

Shouldn't you have asked these questions BEFORE you purchased the home???

Old 02-07-2016, 01:17 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,036,384 times
Sounds like you may have bought in Dart Canyon, if so that area is pretty safe. My parents had a house in that area for decades. Other than the 2 huskies that get out often you likely will not have any problems there.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:40 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,036,384 times
I currently live in Crestline with my two kids and will retire in a year and a half. When I retire I will be moving from the area. I have been evacuated two times and know that eventually the area will burn. The property insurance is very expensive, because it is in a fire risk area.

I do not want to be retired and lose my home, and possibly my life, or even have to evacuated again. As I age I know that getting up and leaving during the night will be much harder than doing it at 40 or 50 years old.

So this is not an area I'd recommend for retirement...I will be moving to a lower cost of living area and leaving CA completely after I retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties