Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 08:10 PM

156 posts, read 370,035 times

Advertisements

I'm considering transferring to my companies location in Fontana from Texas. I don't know too much about the general area other than traffic sucks everywhere and you have to be careful where you move to avoid crime.

As for the traffic, i would be working nights, probably commuting anywhere from 8pm to midnight to fontana. Don't know how traffic is during those hours. As far as price i'd look at renting around $1200, give or take a couple hundred dollars. I'd rather live in the newest/nicest area i could afford. Nightlife isn't the most important thing on my list, but I am single in my early 30's with no kids so having a few options to meet women would be nice.

My big recreational hobby is off roading. I have a ford raptor and plan on getting an ATV and/or dirt bike. So anywhere near some off roading hotspots would be nice.

Also some pointers on real estate? I won't be buying a house right away, but maybe 3-5 years time, what are some affordable(by SoCal standards) and safe areas within a reasonable distance of fontana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 08:53 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Try living in Fontana if at all possible. It's pretty big so you should be able to find something in your price range that's good, especially on the north side.

There's also Rancho Cucamonga which is next door.

Too bad Fontucky hasn't posted here lately. He lived on the "wrong side of tracks" in Fontana, yet reported no issues in his neighborhood. I would say make a trip and take a look.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:39 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageInAZ View Post
I'm considering transferring to my companies location in Fontana from Texas. I don't know too much about the general area other than traffic sucks everywhere and you have to be careful where you move to avoid crime.

As for the traffic, i would be working nights, probably commuting anywhere from 8pm to midnight to fontana. Don't know how traffic is during those hours. As far as price i'd look at renting around $1200, give or take a couple hundred dollars. I'd rather live in the newest/nicest area i could afford. Nightlife isn't the most important thing on my list, but I am single in my early 30's with no kids so having a few options to meet women would be nice.

My big recreational hobby is off roading. I have a ford raptor and plan on getting an ATV and/or dirt bike. So anywhere near some off roading hotspots would be nice.

Also some pointers on real estate? I won't be buying a house right away, but maybe 3-5 years time, what are some affordable(by SoCal standards) and safe areas within a reasonable distance of fontana?
Ill try to be polite here as there are some hardcore ie defenders here. You do realize you would be moving to one of the ugliest, hottest most backwards areas of CA? Fontana is a pit for the most part. Yes there are a few nice areas but unless you are planning to work from home you will have to spend time in crappy places just to live your life. Main thing: do not accept the transfer until you visit. Start doing some real estate and tax comparisons on fontana and pretty much anywhere in TX and get a good laugh. The 200k massive house with land in texas is a 200k 1950s tract house with bars on the windows and cartel flunkies for neighbors in Fontana.

Other items:
-the national forest up behind san bernardino has lots of ohv opportunities. My friends in big bear love the offroading up there! Not sure about how it is closer to populated areas. Might be more restricted.

-traffic should be fine at night. LA gets traffic at all hours but not so much out in the IE.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:39 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Main thing: do not accept the transfer until you visit. Start doing some real estate and tax comparisons on fontana and pretty much anywhere in TX...
Great advice.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Great advice.
Glad i could help! Also not all of the IE is bad. You could probably find a place in the desert and ohv right off your property. You could live 30 mins from fontana and be somewhere quite pleasant! The fact that you arent doing regular commute hours gives you options others dont have due to traffic. But dont live in fontana or san berdoo.. its just not worth it.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:25 PM

817 posts, read 921,679 times
Quote:
Ill try to be polite here as there are some hardcore ie defenders here. You do realize you would be moving to one of the ugliest, hottest most backwards areas of CA? Fontana is a pit for the most part. Yes there are a few nice areas but unless you are planning to work from home you will have to spend time in crappy places just to live your life. Main thing: do not accept the transfer until you visit. Start doing some real estate and tax comparisons on fontana and pretty much anywhere in TX and get a good laugh. The 200k massive house with land in texas is a 200k 1950s tract house with bars on the windows and cartel flunkies for neighbors in Fontana.

Other items:
-the national forest up behind san bernardino has lots of ohv opportunities. My friends in big bear love the offroading up there! Not sure about how it is closer to populated areas. Might be more restricted.

-traffic should be fine at night. LA gets traffic at all hours but not so much out in the IE.
Quote:
Glad i could help! Also not all of the IE is bad. You could probably find a place in the desert and ohv right off your property. You could live 30 mins from fontana and be somewhere quite pleasant! The fact that you arent doing regular commute hours gives you options others dont have due to traffic. But dont live in fontana or san berdoo.. its just not worth it.
At risk of being labled a "hard core IE defender", there are plenty of good areas to live in the IE and I hope you like it there. Californians don't think much of a 30 minute commute so there is a lot within range. Housing prices are higher in CA but the real estate taxes aren't as brutal as Texas. You also won't need to hide inside your house due to the weather as much, so the smaller houses won't be a problem.

As far as living in the desert, I would caution against that since the Cajon Pass could shut down due to fire, snow, or traffic accidents and you may not be able to make it to work on time.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:01 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
If God decided the world needed an enema, He might choose Fontana for the point of application.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:34 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
If God decided the world needed an enema, He might choose Fontana for the point of application.
God hasn't been to Fontana in over twenty years, in that case.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:35 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
The off-roading in the San Bernardino Mtns. by Big Bear & Arrowhead is very good, plus there is a lot of off-roading in the nearby Mojave Desert. I'm guessing you'll find more of it in CA than TX because of the abundance of public lands in CA...BLM, NFS, etc.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
At risk of being labled a "hard core IE defender", there are plenty of good areas to live in the IE and I hope you like it there. Californians don't think much of a 30 minute commute so there is a lot within range. Housing prices are higher in CA but the real estate taxes aren't as brutal as Texas. You also won't need to hide inside your house due to the weather as much, so the smaller houses won't be a problem.

As far as living in the desert, I would caution against that since the Cajon Pass could shut down due to fire, snow, or traffic accidents and you may not be able to make it to work on time.
Yeah except that housing is not the only area of life we pay taxes. I doubt someone moving from TX to CA is going to find much savings on taxes as a whole. Also, yeah 15 could close but how many times a year does that happen? Call in sick...

Also i was thinking more about the desert areas east on 10. Does 10 close very often due to hazards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties