Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 2,763 times

Advertisements

Hi There,
I am considering moving to Temecula, CA. I own a women's clothing consignment store that I would want to move to were ever I end up. My clothing store has a great variation of attire but specializes in high end designer jeans. With CA being a warmer climate, do you think my store specializing in high end designer jeans, would be a good fit for Temecula? You feedback is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 10:47 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
You might want to consider the number of clothing consignment stores that already exist in Temecula and its neighbor Murietta. A quick google search turned up this list: Best Consignment shops in Temecula, CA

As you probably already know, it's tough to get a new business off the ground in an area where there's already a lot of competition. So, rather than ask on a board like this, I'd head over to Temecula and Murietta for a few days and "shop" the existing stores to see if your business would fill a gap that's missing in the area. Pay a call on the chamber of commerce and SBA Score or one of these small business associations (http://www.cityoftemecula.org/Temecu...Assistance.htm) while you're there to ask some questions about the retail market and business environment there too.

Good luck.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-14-2016 at 11:35 PM..

Old 03-14-2016, 11:59 PM

Thank you for your response. Yes I have already check online to see how much competition (much less than my area). The beauty of consignment shops is almost never do you find the same items in each store so people that shop consignment shops tend to hit several shops at a time and in my area, because we have different items we tend to refer customers to each other's store. The competition is not a negative for me at all. My biggest concern is I'm heavily invested in designer jeans and I'm wondering if the climate is too warm or jean season is too short? I could expand online I suppose. It looks like the summers are very hot but how long is your cooler season? Thank you!

Old 03-15-2016, 12:42 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeli View Post
Thank you for your response. Y/My biggest concern is I'm heavily invested in designer jeans and I'm wondering if the climate is too warm or jean season is too short? I could expand online I suppose. It looks like the summers are very hot but how long is your cooler season? Thank you!
I'm sure you've already seen this data, but here are the "average" temperatures for Temecula, which will give you a sense of when it is hotter and cooler: Climate Temecula - California and Weather averages Temecula

It isn't that hot in Temecula. And, even in the hottest months, there can be much cooler weeks. As far as I know, there's no "jean wearing" season in California (or Temecula). People wear jeans all year long, even when it is hot. Whether they prefer to wear designer jeans, of course, is another matter.

May I ask where you are relocating from? And why you've decided on Temecula versus say Los Angeles or Orange County? What do you already know about Temecula and the types of people who live there?

Also, can you describe the "typical" buyer for your jeans in your current area? What are their ages? Income levels? How else might you describe them? How much are they willing to pay for your designer jeans (or how much do you expect to sell them for in Temecula)?

I think the answers to those questions might help people here answer your question better because people can tell you whether there are similar types of people in Temecula, but they'd probably just be guessing at the market for consignment designer jeans, unless you hit it lucky and there's someone here who's a consignment store owner selling designer jeans in Temecula. And, if you give people an idea of how much you expect to sell your jeans for, that would help people answer the question of whether your business is a fit for Temecula too.

So, rather than ask, is my business right for Temecula? try asking, "these are the types of customers I need to make a go of my business -- are there a lot of people like that in Temecula?"

Even then, I wouldn't base my business decision on the advice of strangers on the internet, especially as you're likely to get five people saying five different things about the market for used designer jeans in Temecula, none of which might actually be true.

Again, contact some of the business organizations (especially SBA SCORE) on the link I gave above -- they might be able to help you find market data for the Temecula area to give you more specific and reliable data, or perhaps they could put you in touch with a retailer or two in the area who can give you more usable advice.

Good luck with your plans.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-15-2016 at 01:12 AM..

Old 03-16-2016, 09:01 AM

Thank you for the info and links. The sites I was looking at was giving much higher temperatures. Also looking at Yelp it appears many of the existing store do not have very good reviews leaving an opening for a store with great prices and fabulous service

My son lives in LA and stumbled across Temecula after meeting a friend there from San Diego. I presently live in a quiet area between Boston and Cape Cod so living in LA is far too busy for me but my son felt Temecula was a good fit for me. Thank you for your feedback!

Old 03-28-2016, 02:02 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
I can't say how well your business will do here. Both Temecula and Murrieta are great places to live. Both cities are quite affluent with relatively high household income. You should look at both cities as they are really like one city joined at the hip.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:56 AM

48 posts, read 122,140 times
My wife loves consignment and thrift shopping. She has said that she now is more consignment where there is better quality but still much better pricing than retail. She loves it and would likely be a client for ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties