Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 07:55 AM

16 posts, read 34,631 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the Joshua Tree National Park area. It will be my husband, myself and our 2 small kids (ages 3 and 1). We will be moving from TN. I need to learn as much as I can about these areas as soon as possible. We need to find a house, so I need to find a safe area with reasonable rent. Which of the places - Yucca Valley, Joshua Tree, or 29 Palms, would likely be the best to consider. What does the area have to offer, anything that little kids may like? What about the cost of living? Groceries? Weather? - I know it gets hot there - but I am not familiar with desert heat. It gets up to 117 here in TN and it is VERY humid. I know there are probably tons more things I should be asking - so please offer anything at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 07:00 PM

anyone have any information??? Please, we move in less than a month

Old 06-20-2016, 07:59 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times
This is a very slow board (especially when it comes to the high desert) and you won't get much in the way of reliable information here, but do a thread search for previous discussions and glean from them what you can.

Cost of living and climate statistics are easily available. Try Google.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:44 PM

10 posts, read 13,845 times
What's your reason for coming?

I'd say yucca valley. There's more to do for children, and the landscape is prettier than 29. Joshua tree is nice as well, but it's smaller than yucca. All of these places are very slow, are you used to that pace of living?

Speaking as a mom of a young one myself, there isn't much for kids in the desert. It's an unfriendly terrain for little kids to play outside. If your children are into dirt biking or ATVs it could be fun, but seeing as you have younger children you may be at a loss. There's a nice park in yucca valley but that's about it until the kids get older, unless you are buying a house with a pool. The weather goes from winter to summer in my opinion, with very short fall and spring periods. The climate is generally mild besides the hot summers. However, the summers are FAR more pleasant than the ones you will feel in the low desert. 29 palms is hotter than yucca valley and Joshua tree, so that's another reason you may want to aim away. All of these areas are fairly safe in my opinion, there are property crimes but not much violent ones.

Also do you or your husband plan on staying at home with your kid? There really isn't anything in terms on daycare here besides the head start, which you may not qualify for. Palm Springs will be the closest place for shopping and activities. It's about 30 minutes out from yucca valley, and that time time gets longer the further you head toward 29 palms.

Do you like an isolated quiet lifestyle? Or are you more into a busy town with lots of shopping? This could be the deal breaker for you. If you're the latter, you may think about living in the low desert. If you decide to broaden your horizons, avoid desert hot springs. Yes that area is cheap, but it's quite crime ridden. I do my errands in the daytime there, but it's no place I would be at night.

Tennessee from what I've seen is beautiful and lush. The desert has a far different kind of beauty & it isn't for everyone. Personally, I'm here for the low cost of living but I plan to go soon. I prefer the green. Don't make any plans to buy any homes until you are for sure, because it may be hard to resell up here. The rent is cheap here, well at least by California standards. Lovely place, but it sure isn't for everyone so just be wary before you make big decisions.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:12 PM

Thank You! We currently live in an area with over 300k people, so a slower speed sounds amazing, lol. I am hoping to get the kids out and explore the national park and learn about desert life.

Very good to know about the high desert vs low desert. We will likely look towards Joshua Tree... Safety is important, especially with little ones.

TN is very green and lush, but the summers are hot...very hot and VERY humid - it's the subtropics after all. So a dry heat may be a nice change for awhile Temps here get up to 118 easily and it feels like you are breathing in hot soup, all the while your clothes and hair stick to you because you are instantly soaking wet after being outside for 5 minutes. Today for example the temp will be 109.

I think we will check out the area for a year and see how it goes

Old 07-19-2016, 08:44 AM

994 posts, read 783,353 times
We have a heat wave coming this week and it still will only be around 102 out there. It will be up to 106 in San Bernardino I guess its cooler out there because of the elevation. Its beautiful out there, and if you have quads or a jeep you can do a lot of exploring.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:06 PM

205 posts, read 409,254 times
Yucca Valley is bigger and has more stores, restaurants etc. The desert is beautiful in my opinion. I have a small cabin in Johnson Valley that's about 20 minutes north of Yucca Valley. In the high desert it cools off at night, so even though its hot during the day you get a break at night from the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties