Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 12:44 PM

50 posts, read 94,309 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Been looking hard for a new job for around six months now. I may get an offer this week from Palm springs. Where is an easily commutable area that's safe for a conservative family of 4 with 2 young girls?
We don't mind the desert. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 12:55 PM

581 posts, read 920,931 times
What not live in the Coachella Valley? Palm Desert is about a 10 minute drive from downtown Palm Springs. House prices to fit every budget whether renting or buying.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:13 PM

387 posts, read 512,141 times
Also nice mountain views!

Old 06-27-2016, 02:40 PM

50 posts, read 94,309 times
We know nothing of the area. Which areas have little gang activity and are safe for families? Is Palm desert very safe? This would hopefully be our final move and my job until I retire.
My relatives are in Hesperia... That's the area I know best.

Last edited by tenortodd; 06-27-2016 at 02:57 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 03:47 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
It's safe. Just stay out of Desperate Hot Springs, Thousand Porta-Pottys, Thermal Cooker and the middle of Cathedral City. A quick drive through any section of any city will tell you all you need to know.

Check out Palm Desert. You'll dig it. Be advised it gets (very) hot in the CoVal during the summers. Make sure your aircon is on point. That's it!

Old 06-27-2016, 03:50 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenortodd View Post
P.S. The CoVal is preferable to that pit.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
It's safe. Just stay out of Desperate Hot Springs, Thousand Porta-Pottys, Thermal Cooker and the middle of Cathedral City. A quick drive through any section of any city will tell you all you need to know.

Check out Palm Desert. You'll dig it. Be advised it gets (very) hot in the CoVal during the summers. Make sure your aircon is on point. That's it!
CoVal! 50 years living in the area and that's a first. You wouldn't happen to be associated with theoaks or Tolerance999 would you?

Old 06-27-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenortodd View Post
We know nothing of the area. Which areas have little gang activity and are safe for families? Is Palm desert very safe? This would hopefully be our final move and my job until I retire.
Most all of Palm Desert is very safe. I always advise people to try and find something south of Highway 111. That said The Palm Desert Country club area which is north of 111 is a pretty nice area and very affordable. Hesperia is in the high desert and has some issues because of the very low housing costs and large area mass which is a challenge for Law enforcement.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:15 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Another vote for Palm Desert.

Safety: Don't forget, the Coachella Valley is a valley because it is actually the San Andreas Fault Line. Buy that earthquake insurance!

You said you're "conservative" (your other US searches do seem to be mostly in the liberal or super-liberal states and cities, though) so guess you are OK with the Coachella Valley being a heavily gay/LGBT area. There are gay festivals, an annual lesbian festival, etc. and gay couples are seen everywhere. Yes, there are politically red people in the valley but California is a majority congress blue state.
Desert's support for LGBT community has evolved
Also there's the annual Coachella Valley mega rock music festival, and the alternative film festival, etc.
Oh, and tomorrow and Wednesday temperatures above 110 degrees

Old 06-28-2016, 11:47 AM

10 posts, read 13,872 times
Palm Desert would be a good safe option. As would be La Quinta. Rancho Mirage is pricy but if you can afford it, go for it. These areas have good schools, the rest of the desert not so much. I'd say the areas are moderate politically. Lots of older conservatives, but a lot of them are not full time residents.

If you really want conservative Yucca Valley and Twentynine Palms are much more red than coachella valley. I wouldn't recommend the areas based on commute or amenities, but if political views are a huge factor for you then that's something to think about.

Also, definitely don't be tempted by the cheap houses in DHS. You may drive through and think "hey, this doesn't look so bad". It is. Some parts of Indio are quite nice, but the school district isn't so great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties