Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 07:35 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,131,150 times

Advertisements

Now, hear me out. I'm not trying to look for a place to live or anything like that. Given that I was born and raised mostly here in Indio (for about 12 years out of my 18 years alive), I've witnessed quite several changes and improvements, such as increasing residential development (i.e., some construction of new housing in the Paradiso gated community). It should also be worth noting, however, that the population of the "Date Capital of the World" is approximately 93,000+ people as of right now (not including tourists and snowbirds). At this rate, eventually, when Indio's population reaches past 100,000 people (which probably won't be that much long now), it will become a large city (not like San Diego or Los Angeles)! So, with that being said, I would like to hear your honest opinions on this city. Positive or negative, any opinion is welcome!

I'd like to hear any opinions on the city of Indio from any of you guys as soon as possible! Let THIS be heard! May the opinions BEGIN! I NEED opinions, please! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 09:07 PM

329 posts, read 470,558 times
I think it is great but could never live there full time.. I can't handle the heat and it is just too HOT there about 5 months a year.. great for winter escape tho

Old 12-28-2016, 01:32 PM

173 posts, read 290,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Now, hear me out. I'm not trying to look for a place to live or anything like that. Given that I was born and raised mostly here in Indio (for about 12 years out of my 18 years alive), I've witnessed quite several changes and improvements, such as increasing residential development (i.e., some construction of new housing in the Paradiso gated community). It should also be worth noting, however, that the population of the "Date Capital of the World" is approximately 93,000+ people as of right now (not including tourists and snowbirds). At this rate, eventually, when Indio's population reaches past 100,000 people (which probably won't be that much long now), it will become a large city (not like San Diego or Los Angeles)! So, with that being said, I would like to hear your honest opinions on this city. Positive or negative, any opinion is welcome!

I'd like to hear any opinions on the city of Indio from any of you guys as soon as possible! Let THIS be heard! May the opinions BEGIN! I NEED opinions, please! Thanks in advance!
Indio seems like a very agricultural town. There is a big Hispanic presence. Just a town I pass whenever I'm going east towards Arizona or back into Orange County/LA.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:22 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,198 times
Indio is a pit. Couldn't pay me to live there.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:08 PM

Default Indio is not as agricultural as it was back then. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickz623 View Post
Indio seems like a very agricultural town. There is a big Hispanic presence. Just a town I pass whenever I'm going east towards Arizona or back into Orange County/LA.
While the city DOES have roots of agriculture, which started in the late 1800's (eventually with the arrival of date trees in the early 1900's), it sadly is not as agricultural as it was in the 20th century. However, there seems to be quite several agricultural areas remaining around the area north of the I-10, in particular, the Shadow Hills area, including chicken/horse ranches (If you have ever walked down say, Avenue 38, you'll hear some roosters cuckoo-ing away at any time of day and night!), vegetable fields, plant nurseries, and date farms. There is also several fruit/vegetable fields along Highway 111 across from Stater Bros. And... there's few more date farms, ranches, and fields scattered around the southern half of Indio. Like I said, it is STILL agricultural (somewhat), but not as much as it used to be. Indio is certainly not like San Jacinto or Hemet in terms of agricultural abundance, but it still is.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Indio is a pit. Couldn't pay me to live there.
Pit? How exactly? Whenever I think of Indio as a pit, I think about the above-average crime rate, high illegal drug use (thanks to the local Mexican cartels), below-average to average income, and air pollution (mostly on hot summer and windy days, which can sometimes mix the dirt/dust from the empty/vacant lots, the pesticides from the city's farms, and the fecal matter from the chicken/horse ranches).

Old 12-29-2016, 10:17 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon graves View Post
roosters cuckoo-ing
As opposed to cuckoos roostering?

Old 12-29-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
As opposed to cuckoos roostering?
Yes, I suppose you could put it that way. Also, do you have an opinion on Indio, CA?

Old 12-29-2016, 04:05 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Yes, I suppose you could put it that way. Also, do you have an opinion on Indio, CA?
Sure: better than Coachella.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Sure: better than Coachella.
Yes, that's true. It's pretty sad about what the city of Coachella has become in recent years. I mean, you have the above-average crime (mostly due to the number of street gangs prevalent in the city's area, such as the Varrio Coachella Rifa, the Ave. 52 gang, and the Ave. 53 gang, and not to mention gang-related crimes), the below-average income, both for family and household incomes (Coachella is the second-poorest city in the Coachella Valley, with approximately a whopping 28.9% below the federal poverty line! It is only behind Desert Hot Springs in terms of poverty rate. Isn't that sad? ), and the air pollution (worse on hot summer and windy days, and due to the city's vacant lots, farms, and ranches). I've had my fair share of both Indio and Coachella, and like both cities. Plus, I live just a few streets/blocks away from the Coachella border. Like I said, still pretty sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties