Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,412 times

Advertisements

I moved out of a property in December we did a walk through and everything was fine besides a spot on the carpet. The landlord said she would get a estimate for the repair and get back to us. Now is is almost March and she calls and says we owe her 500 dollars. Do we have to still pay for this ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 04:14 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
I take it she is extracting that $500 from your security deposit. Already, by waiting until March to tote up the estimate and not returning the rest of your deposit within 30 days, she has violated the law.

You need to go to Small Claims Court. Small Claims is rather lenient in its treatment of litigants so they might forgive her tardiness in getting back to you. That may prevent you from winning a complete return of your deposit, but if you can show that the size of the spot shouldn't have cost $500 to fix you can certainly get the amount reduced, and yes you may win simply because the landlord took too long settling this account.

It sure would have helped if you took a picture of the spot on the carpet before you moved out.

I've taken a former landlord to court for failing to return a deposit. It was relatively easy to do, and easy to take care of in court. I received my entire deposit back plus court costs.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:04 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Default way to go!!!!!!

Been there and done it also. She had 3 weeks to return your deposit .By Real Estate Law. also she had to send you a statement re; what was being taken out of your deposit , why it was being taken out and she must provide you with proof( like billing from cleaning co.). Yes she has violated the law re; property leasing ,but more important she has violated your Constitutional rights to prove she has a right to retain your deposit . That is a constitutional violation that is easy to proven . she can not just call you and say that you owe her more money. Kettlepot is correct . You first need to send her a demand for the return of your deposit in full within 7 days,noteing her that it is over due . Then after that you have complied with the requirements for filing the small claims action . yes it is very easy .Yes it would have been good to have photo but the court will most likely rule in your favor by the actions that the landlord has taken.Also very important donot discuss any of this on the phone with her. , tell her to put her comments in a letter to you You will need and can use these comments against her in court . Need more help ? I ,am not an Attorney , but i have been there and Won. Good Luck .

Last edited by Fighter 1; 03-02-2008 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: wording

Old 03-02-2008, 11:44 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
The California Statute on Security Deposit Return is quite clear... 21 days and you have it back in full or 21 days and you have it back less allowable charges.

Did you receive a statement within the 21 days explaining why your Deposit is not being returned? To be technical, I shouldn't say received... the Landlord is allowed to send the Statement to the last address you provided... as long as he sent it and can prove it... he has complied with the statute.

The key here is 21 days... At this point, it really doesn't matter what the reason is as long as either of the above didn't happen... you are entitled to a full return of your deposit.

The statute also provides former Tenants the right to recover more than their Deposit in certain cases where the Owner acted in Bad Faith.

Deposit Cases are rather open and shut in Small Claims Court... don't be timid about filing.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:48 PM

62 posts, read 353,266 times
Fair Housing Law in Cali is 21 days of move out. You need to call Fair Housing to help you, they will guide you.. Look at San Bern. County Housing Authority website for #. Very Important........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties