Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 01:01 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,875 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to look at homes in the Murrieta/ Temecula areas. I haven't contacted a realtor yet, so I'm basically just looking on Realtor.com to get a feel for prices, etc. I'm anticipating looking in the $400K-450 range. That price is higher than my current Phoenix neighborhood's median, but I think it's do-able. I don't dislike my house/neighborhood, or even Phoenix; I'm just wanting more moderate summers. 90s and occasional 100 degrees are fine. Just don't give me 3 solid months of 100+ degrees like we have here.

Since CA has such a unique and confusing system for assessing a homeowner's property taxes, I'm not sure what to expect. Would you say the VAST majority of single family homes built in the past 20 yrs in these towns will have not only base property taxes, but also Mello Roos costs (I think you guys call them special assessments?) I remember looking at new homes in San Diego County 20 years ago and Mello Roos taxes were the norm in new housing developments--rather disappointing But many people accept the trade-off for a new home.

Also, Zillow lists the Temecula Valley's housing market as "cool" right now. While that's fine for me as a potential buyer, I don't know the reasons for this. My "guess" is that prices have climbed so high that potential homebuyers are reaching their financial limits. With San Diego area prices and nicer areas of Los Angeles/Orange counties continuing to hit the stratosphere, I can't see a situation where the Temecula valley will ever not be desirable (if you can stand the commute.) Fortunately I'm retired, so I won't have to deal with rush hours.

Thanks.
PS. if any realtors who know these two towns well want to pvt message me, please feel free to do so.

Last edited by Yac; 11-20-2020 at 01:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 01:22 PM

322 posts, read 244,344 times
Mello Roos and special assessments are the common way new developers pay for everything. I believe this has been going on since the 80's & and the passage of Prop 13. But some of the older places can actually have these paid off by now. Your taxes can be anywhere from 1.1% to 2.3% of the appraised value of the home you buy. You can actually run parcel numbers through the County of Riverside to see what Mello Roos/Special Ass. a property has attached to it. This could help you figure out your payment. Some of these actually increase every year by a couple of % points adding to your taxes. So an older home is always going to save you on taxes. But now your utility bills may be higher due to poor/out dated insulation techniques.

I would spend a few summer days in the area. 90-100 in CA may feel hotter than the 100-115 dry heat of AZ. I think it does.

IMO, the So. Cal market is in an adjustment or upcoming recession. I think prices are going to drop 5-10% (and are actually starting to). There seems to be a ton of inventory right now and nothing is moving like it use to. Buyers are starting to reduce there prices. Not to mention this is a horrible time to sell with the holidays going on. Interest rates are also going up with promises of more increases. Let's hope we're not heading for a recession, but it's been predicted for awhile to happen in 2020. As the So. Cal market was one of the first to come out of the recession, it makes sense it would be one of the first to go back into a recession (or at least an adjustment).

Old 11-25-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Buyers are starting to reduce there prices.
This should say "sellers", but for some reason, I don't have edit capabilities.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:22 PM

661 posts, read 832,814 times
There are homes built from 1990 to 2002 in Murrieta without Mello-Roos, anything after that that is not custom built its hard to get away from.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:43 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Hi,

I'm planning a trip to look at homes in the Murrieta/ Temecula areas. I haven't contacted a realtor yet, so I'm basically just looking on Realtor.com to get a feel for prices, etc. I'm anticipating looking in the $400K-450 range. That price is higher than my current Phoenix neighborhood's median, but I think it's do-able. I don't dislike my house/neighborhood, or even Phoenix; I'm just wanting more moderate summers. 90s and occasional 100 degrees are fine. Just don't give me 3 solid months of 100+ degrees like we have here.

Since CA has such a unique and confusing system for assessing a homeowner's property taxes, I'm not sure what to expect. Would you say the VAST majority of single family homes built in the past 20 yrs in these towns will have not only base property taxes, but also Mello Roos costs (I think you guys call them special assessments?) I remember looking at new homes in San Diego County 20 years ago and Mello Roos taxes were the norm in new housing developments--rather disappointing But many people accept the trade-off for a new home.

Also, Zillow lists the Temecula Valley's housing market as "cool" right now. While that's fine for me as a potential buyer, I don't know the reasons for this. My "guess" is that prices have climbed so high that potential homebuyers are reaching their financial limits. With San Diego area prices and nicer areas of Los Angeles/Orange counties continuing to hit the stratosphere, I can't see a situation where the Temecula valley will ever not be desirable (if you can stand the commute.) Fortunately I'm retired, so I won't have to deal with rush hours.

Thanks.
PS. if any realtors who know these two towns well want to pvt message me, please feel free to do so.
Lived in a development that finished building out in about 2002 and while it was an HOA, it had given the city all the streets, etc, so nothing for the HOA to do so it was never formed. No dues.

Last edited by Yac; 11-20-2020 at 01:54 AM..

Old 11-26-2018, 06:11 PM

Thanks for all your replies!

Old 12-02-2018, 01:42 PM

I've decided that if I'm forced into paying Mello Roos AND ordinary property taxes, I'll stay put in Phoenix. My budget is limited. My current prop taxes are $2200/yr.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I've decided that if I'm forced into paying Mello Roos AND ordinary property taxes, I'll stay put in Phoenix. My budget is limited. My current prop taxes are $2200/yr.
Probably a good choice. Your taxes probably would have been $6k to $9K a year. Plus higher State income tax, maybe higher sales tax, about a buck more for a gallon of gas, and possibly a higher monthly HOA fee. It's not cheap to live in CA.

Although I can afford to live here, I don't have much extra for other things. I'm headed to AZ next month.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:59 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,789 times
Not all neighborhoods in Murrieta have Mello Roos fees. We bought our house new in a very nice development in 2002 and we don't have Hello Roos fees. Our total property tax rate is approximately 1.12% which is common in California for areas without the Mello Roos fees. We have owned 6 new homes in California in San Diego, Poway, San Jose, Livermore, and Murrieta and have never had to pay Mello Roos fees.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:04 PM

65 posts, read 103,007 times
Too lazy to Google but what is Mello roos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties