Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 05:16 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,131,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I've found that many people need a proverbial dog to kick to make themselves feel better. It's an especially acute problem in Southern California where materialism and what I call "city envy" run rampant.

For example:

Person 1: "Where do you live?"
Person 2: "I live in Menifee"
Person 1: "Oh, isn't that like a wannabe Murrieta?"
Person 2: "Yeah, there's not much there, but at least we're not Hemet!"
Person 1: "True! That place is a dump!"
Person 2: "Where do you live?"
Person 1: "I live in Banning, you know, adjacent to Palm Springs!"

Hemet has become the Inland Empire's new favorite "dog" to kick right now, much to the relief of Moreno Valley, Victorville, Rialto and Corona.

In the Coachella Valley, their "dog" was Indio for a long time, but now they kick on Desert Hot Springs.

People in Santa Clarita love to kick on Palmdale/Lancaster even though most of them are one missed mortgage payment away from living there too.
Curious, but why Corona?

On another note, Victorville is NOT in the IE, once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 05:21 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Quote:
In the Coachella Valley, their "dog" was Indio for a long time, but now they kick on Desert Hot Springs.
How far back are you going? The 1950s? I don't recall Indio ever getting savaged the way DHS has now, for 4+ decades...

Old 06-20-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
How far back are you going? The 1950s? I don't recall Indio ever getting savaged the way DHS has now, for 4+ decades...
Indio was NEVER the "dog," dawg. Y'all are trippin'!

Old 06-20-2017, 05:26 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Curious, but why Corona?

On another note, Victorville is NOT in the IE, once again.
To some, it may not be, but to many, many people, it is.

And that's because politically it is connected to San Bernardino (the county seat) and most people in Victorville/Hesperia/Apple Valley commute down the hill to jobs in the inner-I.E. cities of Riverside, Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, Loma Linda, Fontana, etc.

Others commute even further into the eastern cities of Los Angeles County (Pomona, LaVerne, Claremont, El Monte).

Additionally, most large and mid-size businesses in the I.E. include Victorville/Hesperia/Apple Valley in their service areas.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Indio was "savaged" pretty hard in the 1980s and early 1990s before "Coachella" became a thing. At that time, Desert Hot Springs was just a wide spot in the road and didn't register on most people's radar.

Indio, on the other hand, was thought of in terms of its Hispanic population, gangs and working-class element. It was the outlier to places like Rancho Mirage and Palm Desert.

Since Coachella music festival and subsequently Stagecoach, Indio is very up-and-coming and you don't hear the nasty things said about it that you did in the 1980s.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Indio was NEVER the "dog," dawg. Y'all are trippin'!
Well, whaddya think I'm sayin,' Bee Gee?

Old 06-20-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Curious, but why Corona?
Corona was kicked around pretty hard in Orange County and made light of because it was thought of as "the place people go who can't afford the O.C."

It got even worse after the Anaheim Hills were developed into a planned community in the 1980s and 1990s because people in Anaheim Hills and Yorba Linda thought Corona was "trash", which was really their way of compensating for not living in Newport Beach or Laguna Beach themselves.

It's always easier for people to "pick on" or "kick" the next community over to make themselves feel better off.

It's part and parcel to living in Southern California, I'm afraid.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:39 PM

Indio could still belong on the mid-to-lower end of spectrum in terms of desirability of the cities and towns in the Coachella Valley, along with Cathedral City, Coachella, and Desert Hot Springs, IMO.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Indio was "savaged" pretty hard in the 1980s and early 1990s before "Coachella" became a thing. At that time, Desert Hot Springs was just a wide spot in the road and didn't register on most people's radar.

Indio, on the other hand, was thought of in terms of its Hispanic population, gangs and working-class element. It was the outlier to places like Rancho Mirage and Palm Desert.

Since Coachella music festival and subsequently Stagecoach, Indio is very up-and-coming and you don't hear the nasty things said about it that you did in the 1980s.
No, Indio was not. In the 1980s, DHS was already well into its "bashdom." DHS was not a "wide spot in the road that didn't register on most people's radar." I had friends who lived there and took the bus down to Palm Springs High School. DHS wasn't a faraway land. It was regarded as an armpit, and it's since been downgraded to a sphincter.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:48 PM

Seriously, do y'all think Indio is that bad?! I mean, sure, we have our fair share of crime (above the national average, but still) and gangs, but it does NOT compare to San Bernardino, or even Victorville! Y'all need to take a trip to those cities sometime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties