Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 05:49 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times

Advertisements

Who is "y'all"? Are you reading my posts, dude? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 05:51 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,131,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Who is "y'all"? Are you reading my posts, dude? LOL!
I'm reading multiple posts at quite the same time! Multi-tasking, dude!

Old 06-20-2017, 05:53 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I've found that many people need a proverbial dog to kick to make themselves feel better. It's an especially acute problem in Southern California where materialism and what I call "city envy" run rampant.

For example:

Person 1: "Where do you live?"
Person 2: "I live in Menifee"
Person 1: "Oh, isn't that like a wannabe Murrieta?"
Person 2: "Yeah, there's not much there, but at least we're not Hemet!"
Person 1: "True! That place is a dump!"
Person 2: "Where do you live?"
Person 1: "I live in Banning, you know, adjacent to Palm Springs!"

Hemet has become the Inland Empire's new favorite "dog" to kick right now, much to the relief of Moreno Valley, Victorville, Rialto and Corona.

In the Coachella Valley, their "dog" was Indio for a long time, but now they kick on Desert Hot Springs.

People in Santa Clarita love to kick on Palmdale/Lancaster even though most of them are one missed mortgage payment away from living there too.
I agree with stopping the city name calling and putting down people who definitely don't deserve to be maligned, but, that said, Hemet is pretty bad.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:54 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Let's be honest: the 1980s weren't kind to most of the Coachella Valley, no matter where you were.

It was after the Spring Breakers (1970s) had stopped coming to Palm Springs and before the "Gay 90s" when the LGBT community started to move in and revive the area en mass.

The area's reputation no longer had the luster of being a "Hollywood playground" (1930s-1950s) and the crack-cocaine epidemic was ravaging the area.

The 1980s just weren't a good time for the Coachella Valley.

Hemet, too, will outgrow this phase and hopefully prosper once more.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Let's be honest: the 1980s weren't kind to most of the Coachella Valley, no matter where you were.

It was after the Spring Breakers (1970s) had stopped coming to Palm Springs and before the "Gay 90s" when the LGBT community started to move in and revive the area en mass.

The area's reputation no longer had the luster of being a "Hollywood playground" (1930s-1950s) and the crack-cocaine epidemic was ravaging the area.

The 1980s just weren't a good time for the Coachella Valley.

Hemet has imported some bad elements from LA that might make a turn around harder, but I sure hope it happens. The people there don't deserve to be terrorized by tweakers and criminals.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Hemet has imported some bad elements from LA that might make a turn around harder, but I sure hope it happens. The people there don't deserve to be terrorized by tweakers and criminals.
+1 for you!

They don't. And, worse, they don't deserve to be tarred-and-feathered because things out of their control happened and they got dumped on.

It's not like the Powers That Be came to Hemet and asked them, "hey, do you guys want to be the dumping ground for Southern California?" and they said, "yeah, sure, bring it on!"

What city would voluntarily take that on and torture itself like that? I don't know any that would.

So let's quit dogging out Hemet.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
+1 for you!

They don't. And, worse, they don't deserve to be tarred-and-feathered because things out of their control happened and they got dumped on.

It's not like the Powers That Be came to Hemet and asked them, "hey, do you guys want to be the dumping ground for Southern California?" and they said, "yeah, sure, bring it on!"

What city would voluntarily take that on and torture itself like that? I don't know any that would.

So let's quit dogging out Hemet.
It's not just Hemet: San Berdoo, Hemet and Moreno Valley (the nicest and newest) all have, to varying degrees, the same export issues and it is terrible. Moreno Valley especially has very many nice, working-class normal family oriented people. Then came the problems from LA...The people who moved to places like MV did so to escape those problems, get a new or newer house, and they did not expect it to come to THEM. If you really think about it, the fact that people make fun of them is because they care about the middle class people who tried to better their lives by moving there in the first place. They instead look down on them.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
It's not just Hemet: San Berdoo, Hemet and Moreno Valley (the nicest and newest) all have, to varying degrees, the same export issues and it is terrible. Moreno Valley especially has very many nice, working-class normal family oriented people. Then came the problems from LA...The people who moved to places like MV did so to escape those problems, get a new or newer house, and they did not expect it to come to THEM. If you really think about it, the fact that people make fun of them is because they care about the middle class people who tried to better their lives by moving there in the first place. They instead look down on them.
Where do we place the blame exactly?

There's a huge list:

1.) First, let's talk about the decline of manufacturing jobs. That led to chronic unemployment in L.A. and Long Beach. We can blame national politics and globalization for that.
2.) Unemployment led to crime and high welfare use.
3.) Which led to overburdened social services
4.) Which led to city leaders in L.A. and Long Beach trying to find ways to "creatively" shift their burdens
5.) Throw in all of the money-crazed real estate agents and developers....
6.) Who were catering to a materialistic culture of "bigger and better" and "the next best thing"
7.) Who overplayed their hand and overbuilt, thus causing the glut and ensuing crash
8.) L.A., Long Beach and even San Diego look askance at places like Hemet, San Bernardino and Victorville and see places where they can dump their chronically "troubled" populations while rehabilitating their own urban real estate.
9.) What were "urban problems" now become "suburban and rural problems".
10.) Eventually, they will get cycled out of Hemet too, and become Arizona and Nevada's "problems"
12.) I'm not going to let San Diego off the hook and I suspect that quite a few of Hemet's current issues originate there, too, and not just L.A./Long Beach.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Where do we place the blame exactly?

There's a huge list:

1.) First, let's talk about the decline of manufacturing jobs. That led to chronic unemployment in L.A. and Long Beach. We can blame national politics and globalization for that.
2.) Unemployment led to crime and high welfare use.
3.) Which led to overburdened social services
4.) Which led to city leaders in L.A. and Long Beach trying to find ways to "creatively" shift their burdens
5.) Throw in all of the money-crazed real estate agents and developers....
6.) Who were catering to a materialistic culture of "bigger and better" and "the next best thing"
7.) Who overplayed their hand and overbuilt, thus causing the glut and ensuing crash
8.) L.A., Long Beach and even San Diego look askance at places like Hemet, San Bernardino and Victorville and see places where they can dump their chronically "troubled" populations while rehabilitating their own urban real estate.
9.) What were "urban problems" now become "suburban and rural problems".
10.) Eventually, they will get cycled out of Hemet too, and become Arizona and Nevada's "problems"
12.) I'm not going to let San Diego off the hook and I suspect that quite a few of Hemet's current issues originate there, too, and not just L.A./Long Beach.
I agree with the above, but would add 1.a, which is illegal immigration; and, 1.b, which is high levels of legal immigration that, combined with 1.a, basically displaced blacks as a major SoCal labor source.

I would also add 2.a which is a political movement towards greater welfare benefits which accelerated the trend.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:46 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Quote:

PS stopped being a Spring Break destination when Sonny Bono became the mayor in 1988. He was the one who got rid of all that.

Quote:
Hemet has to become something first. It's essentially a farming community that took a downturn and likely won't spring back anytime soon.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties