Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2017, 10:02 AM
 
4 posts, read 30,876 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I am considering buying a small parcel of land in the area surrounding Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley, for use as a winter base from appx. December through March. I have no desire to build a residence, and am thinking more of a "Dry Camp" situation.

Over the past years, I have only seen one parcel "buillt" for use as a personal RV campsite, and am wondering about the feasibility. Is it actually legal to park a small RV on your land and live as if in camping mode, or is one subject to residential zoning law codes the moment one plunks down a picnic table?

For the first season, I don't imagine going beyond putting in one of those garden sheds, which could house said picnic table when not in the area, bicycle, and such - if even that.

Eventually, I can see wanting to have electricity available. Even the fantasy of having an outdoors shower seems more than I would consider, although maybe some day.... but that would be going into the code compliance area, and at this time, that's not within my ability or desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2017, 03:13 AM
 
205 posts, read 409,169 times
Reputation: 237
Save up a little more and you can buy a little cabin. There are tons in that area. Google jackrabbit homestead cabins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 12:24 AM
 
8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Reputation: 11010
It might be best to go right to the proper source and give the the San Bernardino County Land Use office a call to make sure that any parcel of land you are considering buying is properly zoned for living in an RV. Their website also includes maps of where this is legal in the County. Here's the link: http://cms.sbcounty.gov/lus/Home.aspx

You may also want to look into Imperial County as an option. You don't need to buy land to set up an RV at Slab City, for instance. But there are other places in Imperial County where it's possible to buy land and set up an RV.

And, you can legally boon-dock for free in the beautiful Anza Borrego State Park in San Diego County.

Perhaps try that first to see if "dry camping" in the desert is right for you before shelling out bucks for land.

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-24-2017 at 12:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Reputation: 7997
I think the owners of Slab City are trying to reassert control over the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 10:59 AM
 
8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Reputation: 11010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I think the owners of Slab City are trying to reassert control over the property.
You mean, the California State Government?

If they do start selling chunks off, it might be a perfect opportunity for the original poster.

Living off the grid - Trouble in squatters' paradise - KYMA

But, in all seriousness, there are other parts of the Imperial Valley where it is possible to buy land and set up an RV to live in. I'm thinking of places like Ocotillo, Coyote Wells, etc.

And, as I said, free boon-docking is allowed in Anza Borrego State Park.

Heck, I've seen homes out in Shelter Valley, Cranebrake and even Borrego Springs for around $100,000. That would probably be my personal choice if I wanted to spend a few months each year out in the desert.

But, to each their own.

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-24-2017 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 01:15 PM
 
4 posts, read 30,876 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for the replies, and my apologies for not visiting more quickly after my post.

I'm familiar with Slab City, but it's "not my scene."

For the last seven years I have traveled the southwest as I made my way to Joshua Tree to base for the winter, originally because of the rock climbing. I was lucky, for a few years, to have a "very" convenient privately owned spot to RV it. Unfortunately, it was a wee too close to town, and too many people who had no respect for the sensitive nature of the property populated it, and it is no longer an option.

A friend clued me in on the availability of a select few parcels of land that I could buy for a song, and I am in the process of readying to make a purchase.

If I don't get this land, I will probably spend a little more out of each winter "driving to/from" Joshua Tree, which is what I did last year, with the "very" convenient spot no longer available. Quartzsite BLM would do for a bit of time, and as I will be there to shop the gemstone markets, I would spend some time there regardless. But my JT friends thought I didn't spend enough time there, and I have to agree that it would be nice to have a spot to base out of and be there mid December through March, and then do a run to Quartzsite during the height of the Gem and Mineral Show.

Id love to find a homestead cabin site, but that ain't happening(already searched - developers are scooping them up for LA rec cabin 2nd homes. My friend also bought a parcel attached to their current one, and it had two small homestead buildings and a larger concrete pad on t and she gave me an inkling of just how difficult it is to work with the county on getting anything done to these structures. She says it's sooooo arcane. But smart people find ways to work "with" the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 08:23 PM
 
8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Reputation: 11010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappieG View Post
Thanks for the replies, and my apologies for not visiting more quickly after my post.

I'm familiar with Slab City, but it's "not my scene."

For the last seven years I have traveled the southwest as I made my way to Joshua Tree to base for the winter, originally because of the rock climbing. I was lucky, for a few years, to have a "very" convenient privately owned spot to RV it. Unfortunately, it was a wee too close to town, and too many people who had no respect for the sensitive nature of the property populated it, and it is no longer an option.

A friend clued me in on the availability of a select few parcels of land that I could buy for a song, and I am in the process of readying to make a purchase.

If I don't get this land, I will probably spend a little more out of each winter "driving to/from" Joshua Tree, which is what I did last year, with the "very" convenient spot no longer available. Quartzsite BLM would do for a bit of time, and as I will be there to shop the gemstone markets, I would spend some time there regardless. But my JT friends thought I didn't spend enough time there, and I have to agree that it would be nice to have a spot to base out of and be there mid December through March, and then do a run to Quartzsite during the height of the Gem and Mineral Show.

Id love to find a homestead cabin site, but that ain't happening(already searched - developers are scooping them up for LA rec cabin 2nd homes. My friend also bought a parcel attached to their current one, and it had two small homestead buildings and a larger concrete pad on t and she gave me an inkling of just how difficult it is to work with the county on getting anything done to these structures. She says it's sooooo arcane. But smart people find ways to work "with" the system.
I totally understand this. I love the desert too, and the Joshua tree area is beautiful. Before you buy any property, you can look up the zoning on the SB County site link I gave above to see if it's zoned for non -permanent structures. If so, you're good to go.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 11:30 AM
 
4 posts, read 30,876 times
Reputation: 10
I have been searching, and so far, the main parcel I am looking at says "(HV/RL) Homestead Valley/Rural Living." I am going through the various pages in coding but it's confusing, especially as I am such a novice to real estate. Thank you for that link - I have the feeling I will be becoming familiar with it - hahah

Last edited by HappieG; 07-27-2017 at 11:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 02:06 PM
 
8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Reputation: 11010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappieG View Post
I have been searching, and so far, the main parcel I am looking at says "(HV/RL) Homestead Valley/Rural Living." I am going through the various pages in coding but it's confusing, especially as I am such a novice to real estate. Thank you for that link - I have the feeling I will be becoming familiar with it - hahah
Your real estate agent (if you have one) or the escrow company you use to close the deal should also be able to explain the property's zoning.

When all else fails, call the planning department and ask, even though I agree with you about the hassle. Better to have the answer before plunking down cash.

Have a great time out in the desert! I think you have a smart plan. I would love to live out in the desert several months out of every year. Maybe some day, I'll find a way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 11:30 AM
 
4 posts, read 30,876 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for your input - much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top