Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 03:00 PM

27 posts, read 87,021 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone!

My name is Stacy. As you can tell, I'm brand new to these forums.
I'm excited to say I'm 99.9% positive I'm moving to California in August.
I plan on moving to Riverside to live with my aunt and uncle until I can save up and get my own place either in Orange County or LA counties .

Anyways, I DO have a question!

What cell phone provider has the best reception? I currently have T-Mobile, but I'm looking into AT&T (they have my phone for cheaper and my contract is up).

Any help would be appreciated!

-Stacy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 03:32 PM

20 posts, read 131,000 times
Hi Stacy

I work in OC and will be moving to Riverside County in a few weeks. Here in OC my work crackberry is AT&T and reception is somewhat sketchy is some hilly areas. My personal cell phone is Verizon and it works fine for the most part. My boss switched his crackberry from AT&T to Verizon and is happier.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm really interested in getting the Blackberry, and I don't believe Verizon carries the phone I want.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:38 PM

105 posts, read 482,939 times
I have Sprint myself but my dad has AT&T and he almost NEVER has service. Stay far away from AT&T, I think the other cell providers are pretty decent though.

Also, be prepared for boredom here in Riverside. I've been here for almost three months and can't wait to move away. There are a few good clubs/lounges/coffee houses but there is hardly any nightlife. There is plenty to do in other cities/counties though but you'll spend a lot on gas just to get there. Goodluck with your move.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:34 AM

539 posts, read 1,806,403 times
Stacy, The I.E. and Riverside are not as bad as people will lead you to believe. Like everywhere else, it's what you make of it and what you are used to (or can adapt to) that will determine how much you enjoy yourself. It's a nice place to grow-up but a tough place to move. Depending on your social circles, personality and resources you'll do fine. Good luck on your move.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:42 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,496,623 times
I've had Verizon for years and it works great all over SoCal. Its much better than Cingular/AT&T. I currently have the Blackberry 8830 and really like it. They also have the Curve and Perl.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm moving to California more for family.. plus I've ALWAYS wanted to live there. I've been to Riverside before and it's gorgeous.. but we'll see. I'm really trying to save money so I doubt I'll even be going to the clubs and bars, haha. I'm really hoping to look into the OC area (Grandfather lives in Fullerton), though it appears pretty expensive for a single 22 year old on a budget.

I'll look into Verizon (the phone I had wanted was the 8800, but I just now realized that doesn't have a camera!). How are their prices? Is the Blackberry plan more expensive?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:54 PM

105 posts, read 482,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
Stacy, The I.E. and Riverside are not as bad as people will lead you to believe. Like everywhere else, it's what you make of it and what you are used to (or can adapt to) that will determine how much you enjoy yourself. It's a nice place to grow-up but a tough place to move. Depending on your social circles, personality and resources you'll do fine. Good luck on your move.
Please enlighten me. What is there to do here in Riverside? I'm curious to know because coming from a major city on the EC this place reminds me of down south. Just houses, strip malls, and fast food joints. Where is the nightlife?

Old 05-07-2008, 03:59 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,789,229 times
Stay away from GSM networks (Cingular/AT&T & T-Mobile) as they just don't work very well in socal(I might have full reception outside, but I'll drop calls once I walk in my door). Verizon is probably your best bet and has much better indoor reception here. Also, there is a state law that allows you to cancel your cell contract within the first 30 or 60 days if you find out you don't have reception at home or service wasnt as promised or something.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:52 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,496,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLee View Post
I'll look into Verizon (the phone I had wanted was the 8800, but I just now realized that doesn't have a camera!). How are their prices? Is the Blackberry plan more expensive?
Yeah, the 8830 doesn't have a camera but I believe the Curve is very similar and does have the camera. Blackberries require a data plan so they're more expensive than a regular cell phone. BB's are always "online" and talking to Blackberry's mothership, hence the need for the unlimited data. I believe I pay $45/mo for unlimited data on Verizon in addition to my voice minutes. Note that "unlimited" data on Verizon is actually 5GB/mo but you'd have to really try to hit that without tethering it to a laptop and using it as your only Internet connection. They have plans that combine the two and supposedly give some discount but I don't do that because I have a very old voice plan that's a good deal you can't get anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties