Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:00 AM

113 posts, read 1,313,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
Claremont is nice but the commute might wear on ya after awhile. I know it doesn't look bad on "paper" but traffic in most of the I.E. is a mutha on the best of days. Of course one persons sucky commute is another persons "no big whoop" so there is always that perspective. Where in Berdoo are you going to be working? It's a big city
Near the metrolink station so taking the train is a strong possibility, otherwise if driving would traffic be bad going from Claremont to SB? I thought it was going against traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 05:29 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie&dave View Post
Near the metrolink station so taking the train is a strong possibility, otherwise if driving would traffic be bad going from Claremont to SB? I thought it was going against traffic
It will be an hour or so in traffic. That's not that bad of a commute honestly...many people do worse.
During worker's traffic hours in SoCal, there is almost no "against the traffic"; there's bad & there's worse.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:00 AM

113 posts, read 1,313,632 times
Thank you very much Orangeapple for the info, one last question how does Redlands compare to Claremont?

Old 03-20-2008, 03:10 PM

5 posts, read 10,286 times
Default Commute distance

If you don't mind a commute, you could try going north rather than east or west. There are some smaller communities off the I-15. Smog is much less of an issue than down in San Bernardino and surrounding communities. Of course, the climate is different depending on the elevation. I found Phelan to be a wonderful place and I met the friendliest people I have ever met there. The school system is rated highly too. However, the commute to Cal State San Bernardino is close to 30 miles--beautiful scenery on the way though. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2008, 07:48 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
Redlands is like Claremont in many ways. Both have nice old homes. Both are amid the California brush and oaks, and both are college towns. Redlands is cheaper though. However, the traffic to get out of Redlands is bad. Claremont is much easier to get in and out of town. Also look into Upland, near Claremont. It has a very nice small town feel, right next door to Claremont. However, some new developments that make it look very suburban. Cheaper than Claremont (a few friends live in San Antonio Heights).

So yeah, Claremont, Redlands, and Upland. Upland (esp. San Antonio heights) and Redlands are cheaper though. All three are pretty much the same type of town.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 10,479 times
Default Mediatior

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie&dave View Post
Hello-My husband has a job offer in San Bernardino (we currently live in England) and we are planning to visit the area in April to determine a good place to live that's not too bad a commute. We have heard many nice things about Claremont but would like to know what other cities near to SB offer good schools, low crime, affordable housing and a small town feel? Am I asking for too much? Claremont fits the bill but housing is a bit on the pricey side so we would like to consider alternatives. Thanks very much for your help
Yes, you're asking a bit much to get all of your wishes, but you can't do better than Claremont. It has great small town feel, best university atmosphere, good schools, lower crime, intellectual interests, international feel, beautiful historic neighborhoods, etc. Housing is somewhat higher, but you're better off buying a home in Claremont than a home closer to SB. Go for a lower priced home in a nice neighborhood and fix it up to match the higher priced homes. Great time to buy here when market is down. Best deal for your money. Commute on the I-10 to San Bernardino is do-able, but this is southern California after all. I have lived in Riverside all my life. It is closer to SB but the commute is worse. I would love to live in Claremont but my husband works at university in Riverside so we're staying put. We have friends in Claremont. Glad to answer more questions if I can help you. Good luck.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 10,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator View Post
Yes, you're asking a bit much to get all of your wishes, but you can't do better than Claremont. It has great small town feel, best university atmosphere, good schools, lower crime, intellectual interests, international feel, beautiful historic neighborhoods, etc. Housing is somewhat higher, but you're better off buying a home in Claremont than a home closer to SB. Go for a lower priced home in a nice neighborhood and fix it up to match the higher priced homes. Great time to buy here when market is down. Best deal for your money. Commute on the I-10 to San Bernardino is do-able, but this is southern California after all. I have lived in Riverside all my life. It is closer to SB but the commute is worse. I would love to live in Claremont but my husband works at university in Riverside so we're staying put. We have friends in Claremont. Glad to answer more questions if I can help you. Good luck.
Just read other comments. Redlands is closer but also more expensive. Loma Linda has nice small town feel and is a small town. Has two major hospitals. My mother lives there. Bad commute from Riverside.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:50 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,926 times
Look into Rancho Cucamonga. It is very nice.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,493 times
I need your advise! I currently live in Beaumont,CA and I hate it now! Everything has changed so much since 2007. I understand economy has a lot to do with it, but my car has been broken into twice already!We just dont feel safe anymore! =( I am considering doing a short sale and moving to a safe place. I work in San Bernardino County, but I dont mind driving a little for my family. I have 4 cities in mind, Yucaipa, Calimesa, Temecula and Murrieta. Can anybody tell me anything about these cities? Thanks!

Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Big Bear!!!! 4 seasons plus ski resorts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties