Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 07:20 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,228 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I will be headed for Southern California next month, after he gets his worker's compensation payment in less than 4 weeks. We're an interracial couple so OPs statement about such pairings is heartening. There are still some that give us funny looks here in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 08:39 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
I'll also have to say that, having grown up in hyper-competitive, hyper-expensive, rapidly overdeveloping Irvine, Temecula and Murrieta were WORLDS away from Irvine, just FAR, FAR more slow-paced and relaxed than Irvine.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:14 AM

9 posts, read 11,432 times
Advise against temecula unless you can work locally, traffic is horrible. Only 1 freeway.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,365 times
Coming from a 21 year old dude who's lived in this small city since birth, I can tell you my pros and cons.

Pros: It's a nice place to grow up, no crime, family oriented, etc.

Cons: Temecula is pretty much the Bible belt of southern California, it is a very religious city with a lot of Mormons/Fundamentalist Christians. It is also a very conservative/Republican stronghold. (Personally I don't really give a hoot about Politics, doesn't really bother me as much to that extent) Another thing on the cons, is Temecula is not really a diverse racial place. I have lived in San Bernardino for 2 years for my trade school education, coming back here during the pandemic was a shocker for me, it is a predominantly white area, even if it is slowly changing. Their also isn't really a big nightlife around here, or anything to do around here either as much. This isn't L.A. where you have everything to explore in the most abnormal way as possible, it is a family suburb than a city.

As a kid I've liked living here, but as I grew older my views have tremendously evolved. I don't want to be around Conservative Evangelicals or with Mormons. I'd rather be in a big city that is liberal and racially diverse, with plenty of job opportunities including the night life.

I can hardly wait to move out once I complete some subjects in a Junior College and get my trade career started.

Last edited by volosong; 10-24-2020 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: innapropriate language

Old 10-26-2020, 12:24 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,942,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL.JM. View Post
As a kid I've liked living here, but as I grew older my views have tremendously evolved. I don't want to be around Conservative Evangelicals or with Mormons. I'd rather be in a big city that is liberal and racially diverse, with plenty of job opportunities including the night life.

I can hardly wait to move out once I complete some subjects in a Junior College and get my trade career started.
In the mid-1990s after the 1992 Los Angeles Riots, many families were leaving big cities for far away suburbs like Temecula and Murrieta. Los Angeles home prices hit the cheapest and lowest-record in 1996-1997 era. Parents were more conservative back then, but not the kids. Kids were not happy growing up in Temecula and Murrieta, and would not stay here after 18 years old.

Today, kids that have already grown are now moving back to Downtown LA or West LA, and it may now be the long-term trend, since more people are getting more liberal and progressive these days. A Temecula-FLIGHT has been ongoing gradually since year 2013, actually, despite most conservatives and realtors will object this statement. I am also suspicious of the home values and the expected ROI there, especially overpriced Menifee area that many new home builders are at right now. Menifee isn't Las Vegas at all to appeal to young people, and there's no nightlife. You can live in older Riverside area for the same price that has more nightlife in downtown area.

Last edited by waltchan; 10-26-2020 at 01:15 AM..

Old 10-26-2020, 09:01 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
In the mid-1990s after the 1992 Los Angeles Riots, many families were leaving big cities for far away suburbs like Temecula and Murrieta. Los Angeles home prices hit the cheapest and lowest-record in 1996-1997 era. Parents were more conservative back then, but not the kids. Kids were not happy growing up in Temecula and Murrieta, and would not stay here after 18 years old.

Today, kids that have already grown are now moving back to Downtown LA or West LA, and it may now be the long-term trend, since more people are getting more liberal and progressive these days. A Temecula-FLIGHT has been ongoing gradually since year 2013, actually, despite most conservatives and realtors will object this statement. I am also suspicious of the home values and the expected ROI there, especially overpriced Menifee area that many new home builders are at right now. Menifee isn't Las Vegas at all to appeal to young people, and there's no nightlife. You can live in older Riverside area for the same price that has more nightlife in downtown area.
Most young people cannot afford a home yet, so not buying. The area is building up because people who can afford a home there are buying. People escaping the higher priced areas of LA and OC.

Menifee is kinda the least desirable and wayyy different than Temecula or Murrieta yet growing.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:21 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post

It’s pretty typical for young people to leave, and not want to live in, suburbs (or exurbs), but they usually end up returning when it comes times to raise a family. I’ve seen it with my generation (Gen X), and starting to see it more and more in my wife’s (Millennial). We all vowed to never live in areas we grew up in, but for most your perspectives and priorities change with time. Especially when kids are factored in.

Of course a young person seeking nightlife isn’t gonna want to live in Menifee? But to a young couple with children that can buy a affordable new(er) home in a clean, safe, neighborhood it will.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:37 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Pros

1. Relatively "newish"

2. Affordable

3. Clean

4. Minimal crime

5. Quiet neighborhoods

6. Great retirement community

7. Family friendly

8. Rainbow Oaks is close by

9. Lake Elsinore is close by

10. La Cresta is very nice, if you like horses.

11. DT Temec is charming

Cons

1. Hot (Summertime.)

2. Cold (Wintertime.)

3. Ortega Hwy is the ONLY way to get to the coast. It's a 2 lane curvy hwy that serves a million people. This is ok, until there's a fire evacuation. Since fires come from the East, that means it's moving West. Well, there's a mountain range West of Temecula/Wildomar/Menifee, so the only route outta there is North/South on I-15. This kinda limits the people that are not gonna burn. It's only a matter of time, before there's a massacre there...

Old 10-27-2020, 10:20 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Pros

1. Relatively "newish"

2. Affordable

3. Clean

4. Minimal crime

5. Quiet neighborhoods

6. Great retirement community

7. Family friendly

8. Rainbow Oaks is close by

9. Lake Elsinore is close by

10. La Cresta is very nice, if you like horses.

11. DT Temec is charming

Cons

1. Hot (Summertime.)

2. Cold (Wintertime.)

3. Ortega Hwy is the ONLY way to get to the coast. It's a 2 lane curvy hwy that serves a million people. This is ok, until there's a fire evacuation. Since fires come from the East, that means it's moving West. Well, there's a mountain range West of Temecula/Wildomar/Menifee, so the only route outta there is North/South on I-15. This kinda limits the people that are not gonna burn. It's only a matter of time, before there's a massacre there...
It is actually about as easy to go South on the 5 to the main hwy to Oceanside and reach the beaches in N. SDC. An easier route and fewer cars.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:56 AM

458 posts, read 1,262,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Pros

above is not true. No reason to take Ortega for San Diego beaches.

15s to 76w to oceanside beach or any north county beaches. To Oceanside beach from my house its about 35 miles and takes 45 minutes during non rush hour traffic. 15s to 56w takes an hour to Torrey Pines beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties