Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 03:58 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,260,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks for your posts about the future dust from the Salton Sea, Graves and SouthOC. When I said I didn't know what would happen when it dries up, that's not what I meant. We KNOW that will happen, because of the experience with the Owens Lake bed.

What I meant was, I don't know who would take the responsibility for mitigating the problem. The State was able to stick LA with the responsibility for "watering" the Owens Lake bed, because it was LA's demand for water that created and perpetuates the problem. No one is at fault for the Salton Sea drying up, so something might have to be worked out from state funding, or something.

And make no mistake; the dust from those dry lake beds spreads all over the US; it doesn't stay contained in CA or the West. Obviously, the closest towns and cities would be affected more severely. The State will have to come up with a plan.

Here's a photo of the Owens Lake bed, today:
http://blog.fabric.ch/fabric/images/...32488805_2.jpg
The Fed Gov't would probably have to get involved as there's no way to legitimately fix the issue without Mexico's participation. But that should be easy enough as there are 1M people in Mexicali who'd be affected.

As an aside, having endless sprinklers on the sea would probably push the heat index past survivable levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 03:59 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
I think you can reasonably point the finger at the Imperial Irrigation District. They control the water coming from the Colorado river and sold much of the rights to SD knowing what would happen to the sea. They also keep shunning the idea of importing ocean water from the Gulf of California to keep the Sea level. They're in bed with the state and have the ear of Moonshine. They also own the land under the sea and want to develop it for mineral extraction and building geothermal plants, despite having a very good idea of what would happen to the region should they end up getting their way. Any "mitigation plan" is just an attempt to develop underwater land.
Thank you. Very informative. Sounds like quite the potential legal snarl.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:02 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,128,580 times
I remember smelling the Salton Sea at Martha's Village in Indio half the time.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:24 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,260,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thank you. Very informative. Sounds like quite the potential legal snarl.
Yeah, I really can't not see the Feds getting involved at some point. But in the meantime I expect to see the Water Transfer Agreement between the IID and SD amended to delay the start of the transfer.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:10 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
This is so sad. The first white pelicans I ever saw were at the Salton Sea. They were beautiful.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:12 AM

Sometimes I see a flock of seagulls flying/waddling around in Indio.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:55 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Sometimes I see a flock of seagulls flying/waddling around in Indio.

So, THAT'S what happened to that band! Now my life is complete!

Old 08-25-2017, 02:09 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Allow me to tell you what WILL happen if it dries up. Toxic dust from the Salton Sea will rise up and then spread to the Coachella Valley (where I reside) and the neighboring Imperial Valley down south. This will cause the air quality in both valleys to become much worse, and increase the risk of developing asthma or other respiratory-related health issues. .
Brandon, you probably already know this, but for those who might not, what Brandon is describing is already happening in the Imperial Valley. The Imperial Valley has one of the highest numbers of childhood asthma cases in the country; visits there to hospital rooms for asthma related reasons is twice anywhere else in the state.. See, for example:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-...140673403.html

I'm sure it's partially hypochondria on my part, but I've been out there a few times where you could see the dust in the air and came home hacking so much that I had to dig out my own asthma inhaler.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:17 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
This is so sad. The first white pelicans I ever saw were at the Salton Sea. They were beautiful.
The most recent plan is to create small pools for migrating birds to replace habitats when the sea is drier. Here's an article on the most recent proposal:

State unveils a 10-year plan to restore habitat and control toxic dust storms along the Salton Sea's receding shoreline - LA Times

Funding, of course, is going to be an issue. It has been since Sonny Bono's days fighting for the Sea.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:06 PM

Well, then it's only a matter of time for us CV/IV residents to start buying gas masks and other sorts of whatnot! We gotta be prepared for the worst to come for the Salton Sea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties