U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2017, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Jurupa Valley, CA, USA 92509
1,377 posts, read 1,438,958 times
Reputation: 693

Advertisements

I don't know, but the fact that the cities of Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, Indian Wells, and La Quinta always get the better/more upscale stuff (i.e., restaurants, venues, etc.), and that DHS, Cat City, Indio, and Coachella don't (or, hardly do) really kind of irks me. Gee, I wonder why? That's kind of unfair to us and those who reside in the other four cities.

Let me guess... Is it because that PS, RM, PD, IW, and LQ are the more desirable/upscale cities in the CV than DHS, CC, Indio, and Coachella (maybe this has something to do with it)? Huh? Is this why?

Can anyone care to give me insights on why this is the way it is? I'd like to find out!

Any answers are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2017, 07:27 PM
 
1,069 posts, read 928,766 times
Reputation: 1501
These businesses go to where the customers are. Also, there is vanity. The Chambers of Commerce of DHS, Cat City, Indio, and Coachella could launch initiatives designed at drawing upscale businesses to their cities, but you also have the factors of customers not wanting to go shopping in those towns, because they're "better than that".

You don't see the gentrification you do in bigger cities because there is a hipster deficit in the CV. The party-hearty service workers of the CV with their high school degrees aren't into hipster things. Also, there are no older, historic sections of the CV that would become "cool" once gentrified, other than Palm Springs and that is already upscale.

So the main difference I would think would be lack of older, historic neighborhoods and a lack of gentrifiers.

The only place being targeted for gentrification anywhere near CV is Bombay Beach. But that'll never be upscale in a million years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Jurupa Valley, CA, USA 92509
1,377 posts, read 1,438,958 times
Reputation: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
These businesses go to where the customers are. Also, there is vanity. The Chambers of Commerce of DHS, Cat City, Indio, and Coachella could launch initiatives designed at drawing upscale businesses to their cities, but you also have the factors of customers not wanting to go shopping in those towns, because they're "better than that".

You don't see the gentrification you do in bigger cities because there is a hipster deficit in the CV. The party-hearty service workers of the CV with their high school degrees aren't into hipster things. Also, there are no older, historic sections of the CV that would become "cool" once gentrified, other than Palm Springs and that is already upscale.

So the main difference I would think would be lack of older, historic neighborhoods and a lack of gentrifiers.

The only place being targeted for gentrification anywhere near CV is Bombay Beach. But that'll never be upscale in a million years.
Makes me wonder why exactly would they not shop in either of these cities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 08:22 PM
 
1,069 posts, read 928,766 times
Reputation: 1501
Because they're image-conscious and a lot of CV residents are from the LA area. The main drawback of the CV imo is the LA influence.

It's like asking a Scottsdale snob to shop in Phoenix, lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Jurupa Valley, CA, USA 92509
1,377 posts, read 1,438,958 times
Reputation: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Because they're image-conscious and a lot of CV residents are from the LA area. The main drawback of the CV imo is the LA influence.

It's like asking a Scottsdale snob to shop in Phoenix, lol.
No LA influence, you say? Huh... I always thought that no matter where in SoCal you are there would always be some LA influence.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 08:33 PM
 
1,069 posts, read 928,766 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
No LA influence, you say? Huh... I always thought that no matter where in SoCal you are there would always be some LA influence.
There's too much LA influence in the CV, esp the western part. The further east and south you go (towards Blythe or towards Mexicali), the less LA influence there is.

LA influence is something to avoid imo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Jurupa Valley, CA, USA 92509
1,377 posts, read 1,438,958 times
Reputation: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
There's too much LA influence in the CV, esp the western part. The further east and south you go (towards Blythe or towards Mexicali), the less LA influence there is.

LA influence is something to avoid imo.
Interesting indeed...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,707 posts, read 26,379,270 times
Reputation: 13867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
No LA influence, you say? Huh... I always thought that no matter where in SoCal you are there would always be some LA influence.
Not San Diego.

Anyhow, just enjoy your Jack-in-the-Box's and Del Tacos when they get built. "Good" stuff is overrated. When a Whole Foods or a micro brewery gets built in my neighborhood, I know it's time to move.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 08:49 PM
 
1,069 posts, read 928,766 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Not San Diego.

Anyhow, just enjoy your Jack-in-the-Box's and Del Tacos when they get built. "Good" stuff is overrated. When a Whole Foods or a micro brewery gets built in my neighborhood, I know it's time to move.
Awesome, that's now my profile's greeting message
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,707 posts, read 26,379,270 times
Reputation: 13867
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Awesome, that's now my profile's greeting message
As they say...."there goes the neighborhood".
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top