Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,496 times

Advertisements

We are relocating because of work, DH is already in Palm Desert. The children and I will follow in the summer. I am looking for information about schools, especially the charter middle schools. This is our first time moving back to California in 17 years, so I am not too familiar with the charter school system. It seems the only viable options for public middle school are the charter schools in Palm Desert and La Quinta. If anyone has applied to either, how long was the process and were you put on a waiting list, or is there a good chance to be accepted the first year? And would you pick Palm Desert high school or La Quinta high school? We're looking to buy based on the schools. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 12:51 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,129,006 times
Hello, I myself am a full-time resident of the Coachella Valley, and am not too fond of education in the general area. I have only attended schools in Indio and Desert Hot Springs, so my knowledge in this field is limited. But, I'll try my best to give you advice.

Of the three cities you mentioned, if I were you, my first choice would be La Quinta. La Quinta seems to have some of the highest rated schools in the Coachella Valley, and is home to three IB World Schools, which are Benjamin Franklin Elementary School, Amelia Earhart Elementary School, and La Quinta High School. Also, according to City Data, La Quinta seems to be the safest of the three areas you mentioned. With all of that being said, this could be a win-win for you!

Palm Desert would be my second choice. Both La Quinta and Palm Desert are within the boundaries of Desert Sands Unified School District, which seems to be the highest rated school district in the Coachella Valley. From what I heard, DSUSD also seems to have the lowest percentage of English Learners, if that is something of concern.

My last choice would be Palm Springs. Palm Springs is within another school district, Palm Springs Unified School District, and also has the highest crime of the three mentioned areas and in the Coachella Valley (I think it finally has passed that of Desert Hot Springs). Crime in Palm Springs is primarily concentrated within the northern end (e.g., Mountain Gate, Gateway Drive, etc.) and anything just north of San Rafael Street.

As for charter schools, I'm not at all experienced with these types of schools. But, the highest rated charter schools seem to be located in either Palm Desert or La Quinta.

Between Palm Desert High School and La Quinta High School, I'd personally choose La Quinta High School because it's an IB World School.

Sorry if there haven't been any replies two months since your thread/question was posted, but I hope my advice may have helped you at least a bit.

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2018, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 4,828 times
Go on Great Schools and type in any school and you will get all the info you need. My family may be moving there from the Chicago area and schools are my first concern. From my research, Palm Desert has some pretty good schools such as Gerald Ford Elementary, James Earl Carter and Washington Charter as well as James Monroe. Palm Desert HS and La Quinta HS seem to be about the same rated. I would love to hear any other thoughts on schools and neighborhoods. We were looking at the Palm Desert Country Club neighborhood and surrounding areas.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:13 PM

5 posts, read 4,956 times
Hi,
I am also moving to the area and researching school districts. So far I am leaning toward DSUSD vs PSUSD or Coachella. I like Earhart Elementary, it has an IB program and is near the Glen Middle School. Both rated 7. Monroe is in Bermuda Dunes neighborhood and is rated 9 but I am not finding houses that I like in that neighborhood. I have heard North La Quinta is a good place for families. I'm still researching though so any input would be helpful. Thanks

Old 01-20-2018, 12:08 PM

4,138 posts, read 2,835,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachell View Post
Hi,
I am also moving to the area and researching school districts. So far I am leaning toward DSUSD vs PSUSD or Coachella. I like Earhart Elementary, it has an IB program and is near the Glen Middle School. Both rated 7. Monroe is in Bermuda Dunes neighborhood and is rated 9 but I am not finding houses that I like in that neighborhood. I have heard North La Quinta is a good place for families. I'm still researching though so any input would be helpful. Thanks
All three of those schools are DSUSD, JGMS is a feeder school into LQHS. When we were looking for houses here, we looked in those neighborhoods as well (Miles Ave area) and they were nice but pricey (due to their proximity to JGMS and LQHS). You can look a little further south by Ave 48 area and still send your kids to Amelia and JG instead of Truman or LQMS (which aren't bad at all, but I don't know if you are dead set on Amelia and JGMS).

Old 01-20-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachell View Post
Hi,
I apologize to interrupt, but why not look into North Indio (newer housing tracts/shopping centers north of I-10)? There is Desert Ridge Academy (went there for 8th Grade) and Shadow Hills High School that are set right next to each other on Avenue 39, just off of Jefferson Street. I've heard that they're some of the better-performing schools in Indio. In addition, there is currently ongoing construction for a new elementary school at the intersection of Avenue 42 and Gore Street, which will be a feeder to both DRA and SHHS. It will be officially named Richard R. Oliphant Elementary School, and is expected to open for the 2018-2019 school year. However, it will be located right next to an agricultural field that has been there for what, years, so I'm not sure how it would affect new students and staff attending the new elementary school.

All of those schools I mentioned are also within DSUSD.

Also, you would get more for your bargain here in Indio than in Bermuda Dunes and La Quinta.

I really think you should check out that area of Indio. It's actually really nice!

Don't limit yourself to just Bermuda Dunes and La Quinta. Just a thought...

Old 01-21-2018, 07:41 AM

328 posts, read 425,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
I apologize to interrupt, but why not look into North Indio (newer housing tracts/shopping centers north of I-10)? There is Desert Ridge Academy (went there for 8th Grade) and Shadow Hills High School that are set right next to each other on Avenue 39, just off of Jefferson Street. I've heard that they're some of the better-performing schools in Indio. In addition, there is currently ongoing construction for a new elementary school at the intersection of Avenue 42 and Gore Street, which will be a feeder to both DRA and SHHS. It will be officially named Richard R. Oliphant Elementary School, and is expected to open for the 2018-2019 school year. However, it will be located right next to an agricultural field that has been there for what, years, so I'm not sure how it would affect new students and staff attending the new elementary school.

All of those schools I mentioned are also within DSUSD.

Also, you would get more for your bargain here in Indio than in Bermuda Dunes and La Quinta.

I really think you should check out that area of Indio. It's actually really nice!

Don't limit yourself to just Bermuda Dunes and La Quinta. Just a thought...
The winds and sand are horrific out there. But good bang for buck.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
The winds and sand are horrific out there. But good bang for buck.
True! Forgot to mention that. Matter of fact, just the other night (Friday), I was at church up there in North Indio, and after service, as the wind became stronger, it created a pretty big sandstorm from the vacant dirt lots across the street. We had to stay inside for a little bit until the wind finally calmed down. It was crazy!

Old 01-29-2018, 11:00 PM

5 posts, read 4,956 times
Anyone have a recommendation for realtors. Someone who really knows the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties