U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 11:03 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,896,127 times

Advertisements

I currently work in Hollywood (neighborhood, not the industry) and commute from the west San Fernando Valley. I'm over the drive, run down old apartments for exorbitant prices, and a lot more about LA that I just don't care for.

My job is highly portable and I'm thinking of checking out Corona or Riverside where both cities pay about 15-20k more than LA for the same work. I like the cost of living out there and I think I could even get by with commuting to there from Anaheim or Tustin (a reverse commute? Does that exist?). Then I could eventually buy something in the IE if I like it enough.

I'm wondering about social life though. My experiences with areas like the outer rings of LA or places like the IE is that it's sometimes devoid of a lot of non-family social experiences as large cities tend to be a vacuum for singles/ non-child-bearing couples.

Of course Riverside has it's own city life and identity. It looks like a fun town. I'm just wondering if I'd be too bored out there as someone who's spent many years in long beach and west LA.

Of course anyone in the basin or orange county will spiel on and on about the IE being ghetto and social suicide, but is there any merit to that argument from the perspective of people who live out there and aren't family folks? I really loved Long Beach, but it's slowly turning into LA and the prices have gone way up in just the last four years from when I left it (my tiny old apartment now rents for 5-600 more than I paid 4 years ago).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 12:56 AM

14 posts, read 16,765 times
Speaking as a relatively young person (late 20s, live with partner, no kids) who lived on the Westside for many years, deciding to settle in Downtown Riverside and purchase a home here has been one of the best decisions I've made in my life. Riverside's downtown is developing and becoming something more of a hub for nightlife and cultural activity, and many of the historic neighborhoods in and around Downtown Riverside, including the Wood Streets area, feel just like Bungalow Heaven in Pasadena at a fraction of the price. The historic districts of Redlands are similar and would also be a great option. Are you likely to find truly world-class restaurants and nightlife in IE downtowns or business districts any time soon? Doubtful. But for me, the trade-off is completely worth it. My historic home in Riverside has become my sanctuary, and it's affordable to the point that I never even think about my mortgage payment. I could not have afforded the same level of comfort on the Westside. I don't know Corona nearly as well as Riverside or Redlands, but in all three cities you can find beautiful historic homes in safe neighborhoods as well as newer (and larger) homes in neighborhoods that may not feel as charming but are very safe and comfortable. That said, here in the IE I find myself being more frequently reminded of the extreme socioeconomic disparities that exist in SoCal, and you see far more proudly exhibited antisocial behavior (reckless driving on freeways, etc.)

Old 11-01-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElOsito View Post
I don't know Corona nearly as well as Riverside or Redlands, but in all three cities you can find beautiful historic homes in safe neighborhoods as well as newer (and larger) homes in neighborhoods that may not feel as charming but are very safe and comfortable. That said, here in the IE I find myself being more frequently reminded of the extreme socioeconomic disparities that exist in SoCal, and you see far more proudly exhibited antisocial behavior (reckless driving on freeways, etc.)
Thank you! I'm not looking for the top top restaurants and nightlife. I've met so many people in LA who do absolutely nothing and live in nice places just hanging out and bumming around because their parents pay for it. One girl I know (38 years old) recently bought a redone bungalow in Hollywood and she hasn't worked in years (parents bought it). That's how a lot of LA is going.

I'm surprised about the socioeconomic disparities. I'd think they would be less out there. When I walk around Hollywood, I see people taking a crap on the sidewalk, camping out in the park, spitting on tourists, etc...

To me, when I drive around Corona, it seems like a mix of the IE and OC much in the same way Long Beach is a mix of LA and OC (I call it Los Orangeles).

Thanks for your comments!

Old 11-01-2017, 09:36 AM

958 posts, read 914,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Thank you! I'm not looking for the top top restaurants and nightlife. I've met so many people in LA who do absolutely nothing and live in nice places just hanging out and bumming around because their parents pay for it. One girl I know (38 years old) recently bought a redone bungalow in Hollywood and she hasn't worked in years (parents bought it). That's how a lot of LA is going.

I'm surprised about the socioeconomic disparities. I'd think they would be less out there. When I walk around Hollywood, I see people taking a crap on the sidewalk, camping out in the park, spitting on tourists, etc...

To me, when I drive around Corona, it seems like a mix of the IE and OC much in the same way Long Beach is a mix of LA and OC (I call it Los Orangeles).

Tons of poor people out there. Not knocking it, your reasons for being interested are sound.

However, take a hike along the santa ana river between Yorba Linda and Corona. OC and IEs dirty little secret... some of the saddest poverty and homelessness you will ever see. Also, much of Corona is pretty dirty and sketchy. Riverside has some nice areas.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:44 PM

13,707 posts, read 26,389,453 times
What is it that's so interesting about LA/LB/OC that is completely impossible to find in the IE OP?

Old 11-01-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
What is it that's so interesting about LA/LB/OC that is completely impossible to find in the IE OP?
That was my question Everyone in the basin acts like there's nothing good to be found in the IE. You hear about 909'ers, pollution, gangs, crime, large low-income populations who "act ghetto," etc... I've driven around western Riverside county and walked the campus of UCR which is pretty nice. My main thought would be finding areas with other singles or childless couples with higher education levels/ higher SES to have some socialization. I was wondering what people have found out there.

What I'm mostly interested in is the newer (post 1970), nicer apartments or condos for lower prices in good areas. I don't plan on ever buying a single family home, maybe a townhouse eventually. Those seem few and far between in the basin unless you go south of Irvine or pay over 3k/month. I found that in the far western san fernando valley, but my pay is lower, the rent is high-ish, and the population out here is mostly families. Most of LA is older and run down or overpriced and not worth the money. I'm thinking I could do better to just move to Corona or south/west Riverside.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:13 PM

2,938 posts, read 1,955,092 times
The general rule for Corona/Riverside is the further from the 91 and 15 freeways you are, the better the neighborhood...There are some good areas in Corona (the foothills to the South and Eastvale to the north) as well as the foothills in Norco. In Riverside, you have Canyon Crest, Woodcrest and Orangecrest. There are also some older neighborhoods along Magnolia Avenue north of the 91 around Cal Baptist University to Riverside Plaza.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:41 PM

13,707 posts, read 26,389,453 times
Quote:
That was my question Everyone in the basin acts like there's nothing good to be found in the IE. You hear about 909'ers, pollution, gangs, crime, large low-income populations who "act ghetto," etc... I've driven around western Riverside county and walked the campus of UCR which is pretty nice. My main thought would be finding areas with other singles or childless couples with higher education levels/ higher SES to have some socialization. I was wondering what people have found out there.
You just described the general stereotype of Southern California with that comment. The IE is no different, if anything, it is tamer than that, and only very small parts of Corona and Riverside resemble those comments at all.

Corona's higher SES areas are all filled with families. There are no happening areas in Corona.

In Riverside, downtown, Wood Streets, and Canyon Crest/etc are where to look. 92501, the eastern part of 92504, 92506, and parts of 92507. However, most of the places with the demographic you're looking for will be living in generally older (or even historic) housing. 92503 is pretty lower-middle class (think a nice part of Van Nuys, or a worse part of Northridge), and 92505 is similar, but a tinge classier, but I doubt you would find any part of those all that desirable for you.

The IE has done a poor job of marketing itself to young professionals. Nearly all of the housing built in the last 20 years has been targeted to families looking for new tract homes. Lame, I know.

Riverside still has not popped off yet and become trendy, but it could still be an improvement over where you are now.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:03 PM

9,809 posts, read 8,901,864 times
Quote:

Los Orangeles, I love it! I need to use that!

Old 11-05-2017, 10:26 PM

112 posts, read 188,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
The general rule for Corona/Riverside is the further from the 91 and 15 freeways you are, the better the neighborhood.
How do you feel about the condos directly north of the shopping center at Corona Hills Plaza (intersection of McKinley and 91). That's the one with the Walmart and 99 Ranch Market.

Also, how do you feel about the condos around the Tyler Galleria (intersection of Tyler and 91). That's the one with an AMC 16 and Cheesecake Factory).

I'm looking to buy a 1-2 bedroom condo in one of those neighborhoods. Do they seem safe? Are they getting better or worse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties