Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 11,824 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.
Currently living in Phoenix, AZ temporarily and looking to move back to SoCal. Having previously lived in Orange County for several years, we don't have any desire to go back. Hoping for a slower pace, more nature, less people.
Been to Big Bear numerous times to snowboard years ago, but haven't been there recently. Reading online, crime seems to be a big concern. A friend suggested Lake Arrowhead, but I've never visited there, sadly. Looks beautiful and has the seasons that we're hoping for, but not quite so far up the hill.
Its myself, husband, and 12-year old son. Our son is excited about living somewhere with seasons as well. But, trying to figure out if BB would be better since there are the ski resorts there and generally sounds like perhaps more to do, although not to the extent of living in the city.
Planning a trip in the spring to visit both places, but curious anyone's thoughts on which might be better for our small family. We'd be renting at first and then hopefully buy within a year or two.
Main thing about BB that makes me nervous is reading about the crime and potentially a bullying issue in the schools? Some of the posts are quite old, so hoping for more recent experiences.
Thanks a million in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 12:20 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Any jobs/commute concerns?

Old 12-11-2017, 05:33 PM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Some information comparing the two on these threads:
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-b...-big-bear.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-b...bear-lake.html

Old 12-12-2017, 08:33 AM

Thanks...I was hoping for some more recent information/feedback since, hopefully, the school system in Arrowhead has improved, among other things. :-)

Old 12-12-2017, 08:38 AM

46 posts, read 71,181 times
Why not Prescott, Prescott Valley, or Flagstaff? All four seasons should be very similar to Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead. I think Flagstaff does get more snow though.

We recently moved from California, specifically Orange County, and could not be happier living in AZ.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:17 AM

Love Prescott, Flag and also considered Payson. The catch is that we need to move back to SoCal to be closer to our clients, which are primarily the film studios and other entertainment industry.
We were living in South Orange County before and moved to Phoenix where my family is, but it hasn't worked out as well as we'd hoped when it comes to our business. No desire to be in the greater Los Angeles area and no desire to go back to the OC either. Hoping for a smaller town, less people, more nature. If we didn't have a 12-year old son, I think Arrowhead would be a no brainer, but more to think about with a kiddo. Thanks!

Old 12-12-2017, 03:15 PM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaJT View Post
I was hoping for some more recent information/feedback since, hopefully, the school system in Arrowhead has improved, among other things. :-)
The high school looks average. Rim of the World Senior High in Lake Arrowhead , CA - ranking, school information, ratings, test scores, test results

Old 12-12-2017, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,973 times
Hi RebeccaJT, I live in Big Bear Lake and have a child enrolled in the Middle School so hopefully I can be a resource for you and others.

It sounds like you are mainly concerned about crime and the local schools. I haven't experienced any issue with crime. The schools are fine.

Big Bear Lake is a pretty great place to live, imho. Access to jobs is the limiting factor. I think more people will move here and telecommute. If you like 4 seasons, the outdoors, and small town slower pace, then Big Bear is the place to be. What is unique about it compared to other small mountain communities is the availability of amenities due to tourism. There is a movie theater, new zoo-animal rehabilitation, parks and rec programs, Mountain Top Strings music program, karate, bike paths, hiking trails, skiing/snowboarding, horse riding, boating, fishing, kayaking, bowling alley, nice variety of restaurants, Brewery, concerts at The Cave, Vons, Stater Brothers, Petco, DIY, Starbucks, local coffeehouse, Big 5, updated library, new family health center and lots of year round events...that's quite a lot for a local population of 12,000 between the two cities.

I also like the close proximity to LA, San Diego, Las Vegas, Palm Springs. It's a pretty unique location to be able to ski one day and surf the next! Laguna Beach is a 2 hour drive.

There has been talk about living in Big Bear Lake over Big Bear City, especially avoiding the Sugarloaf area and near the airport. The areas near the lake (in Big Bear Lake), FoxFarm and Moonridge are nice places to live. I've also heard that the old reputation of Sugarloaf is changing as new families move into the area.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:01 PM

661 posts, read 832,364 times
I noticed on the weekends, seems the whole greater Los Angeles area comes in town and clogs the cities. Arrowhead shopping center you cannot find a parking spot, Big Bear's Bavarian like Village has the same problems. All the restaurants are lines out the door as well.

Clear weather or new snow the crowds come, sometimes 40 min waits are the norms.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:58 PM

Thank you! Much appreciated. This is great info, Tigerlily411. We're planning a trip there in March to spend a few days exploring around.

I realize that its a resort town and there will be an influx of visitors; I used to be one of those people back in my 20's when I snowboarded all the time. Guess no place has it all.

Looking forward to visiting in a few weeks and we'll see how things go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties