Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 04:27 PM

68 posts, read 104,047 times

Advertisements

Surely, you've heard this old refrain "considering a return to California." Specifically, I'm pondering the hi-desert area of Victorville-Hesperia. Previously, I've spent time in that area and always enjoyed the people, climate, neighborhoods, and stimulating environment. I would love to hear some upside/downside insights on the availability of property for business development, educational level of the workforce, recreational options, quality of living (e.g. walkableness, ambience, theatre/music options) and availability of small homes approximately 1100 to 1600 square feet. When it comes to housing I love thinking small for a plethora of reasons. Apartments are likewise viable. I can rent or buy.

In case you're wondering, I coming from the Knoxville metro area of East Tennessee.

Any insights you can offer are appreciated.

Last edited by Doc. T.; 04-07-2008 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 05:51 PM

215 posts, read 985,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc. T. View Post
Surely, you've heard this old refrain "considering a return to California." Specifically, I'm pondering the hi-desert area of Victorville-Hesperia. Previously, I've spent time in that area and always enjoyed the people, climate, neighborhoods, and stimulating environment. I would love to hear some upside/downside insights on the availability of property for business development, educational level of the workforce, recreational options, quality of living (e.g. walkableness, ambience, theatre/music options) and availability of small homes approximately 1100 to 1600 square feet. When it comes to housing I love thinking small for a plethora of reasons. Apartments are likewise viable. I can rent or buy.

In case you're wondering, I coming from the Knoxville metro area of East Tennessee.

Any insights you can offer are appreciated.
you can read forum I WANT TO MOVE BACK TO CALIFORNIA THRER THEY TALK ABOUT THE HIGH DESERT

Old 04-08-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booz30 View Post
you can read forum I WANT TO MOVE BACK TO CALIFORNIA THRER THEY TALK ABOUT THE HIGH DESERT
Thanks, booz30

Old 04-08-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booz30 View Post
Gave your citation a read - some great posts. However, I wanted to focus a bit more business development and job creation issues. Thanks, though, for the referral.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:16 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,887,160 times
I don't know anything about business development, but I can tell you the Hi Desert is booming..! There are a number of shopping centers being built in the Hesperia, Victorville, and Apple Valley area. New homes for good prices are everywhere. A story in the paper yesterday that two power plants were just approved for VV. There is talk about a huge transportation center being planned for the area. The old military base has a huge aircraft repair facility, with more business planned to go in there. Many large company's are finding the cheap desert land is great for building their vast warehouses. Wal mart has a huge distribution center here, many others are following.
All indications are, the future is bright for the area. We moved to AV from OC three years ago, and have been watching the place explode. We looked in all the area within an hour of OC, so we could be away from the hustle and bustle, but still be close enough to OC for frequent visits. This is the only area that fit our criteria. All the other areas are already over grown and over priced. This is the direction the growth is now occurring. Get here quick and get on the bandwagon..! We love everything about the area. I have yet to see any of the crime the nay sayers are preaching. Life is good, common out..!!
Call the Chamber of Commerce of the three towns....
If you are, as your name implys, in the medical field, you can write your own ticket..!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:21 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,887,160 times
Town of Apple Valley : Home
Welcome to the City of Victorville
Welcome to the City of Hesperia, California.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 PM

215 posts, read 985,533 times
ya good one I see you left adelanto out good job lol

Old 04-09-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I don't know anything about business development, but I can tell you the Hi Desert is booming..! There are a number of shopping centers being built in the Hesperia, Victorville, and Apple Valley area. New homes for good prices are everywhere. A story in the paper yesterday that two power plants were just approved for VV. There is talk about a huge transportation center being planned for the area. The old military base has a huge aircraft repair facility, with more business planned to go in there. Many large company's are finding the cheap desert land is great for building their vast warehouses. Wal mart has a huge distribution center here, many others are following.
All indications are, the future is bright for the area. We moved to AV from OC three years ago, and have been watching the place explode. We looked in all the area within an hour of OC, so we could be away from the hustle and bustle, but still be close enough to OC for frequent visits. This is the only area that fit our criteria. All the other areas are already over grown and over priced. This is the direction the growth is now occurring. Get here quick and get on the bandwagon..! We love everything about the area. I have yet to see any of the crime the nay sayers are preaching. Life is good, common out..!!
Call the Chamber of Commerce of the three towns....
If you are, as your name implys, in the medical field, you can write your own ticket..!
Donn, thanks for the information. Indeed, it was helpful and begins to focus on some of my concerns/criteria. Appreciated your efforts.

Do you have any thoughts on the environmental consciousness of the local denizens? On this end, it's a big issue. Don't want to be in an area where fast food wrappers and other debris litter many of the byways. Thanks, again.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:43 PM

17 posts, read 47,906 times
I have a friend who lived in Victorville

The place is actually pretty clean - however he said that it is a wee bit too far from the "major" cities -

He is now currently looking at houses around Hemet/San Jacinto/ Temecula area because they are actually closer to Riverside and San Bernadino and Hemet/ San Jacinto area is actually sitting in between 60,215,10 freeway

The area is also still developing - they also have a lot of shopping center in the range of within 25 miles (Temecula Promenade, Moreno Valley Mall) and there's about 4 supercenter WalMart in the area within about 10 miles (2 of them are actually WITHIN the city of Hemet and San Jacinto)

Old 04-15-2008, 03:10 PM

Wanted to express thanks to anyone who read this thread or took the time to respond. Your "insights" have been helpful.

Last edited by Doc. T.; 04-15-2008 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties