Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 01:41 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgiamette View Post
We have contemplated opening restaurants in big bear. If a crappy restaurant can survive on the mountain then a good one should be able to and there are plenty of crappy ones. Pho does well here in the coachella valley and it's also a seasonal area with few Asian residents. Everyone loves pho.
So true. My wife and I have a cabin in Running Springs and the bar is set pretty low from Lake Arrowhead to Big Bear when it comes to eating establishments. Granted there’s plenty of good ones, but we can’t believe how some have remained in business for so long. All I can say is treat the locals good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoever View Post
I really need to go to city chamber of commerce and see number of tourism go there in summer time.
I can tell you from experience there’s no shortage of tourists in the summer. As someone in the bar and restaurant business myself, I’d be more concerned with high expectations, and having a down winter season, like this year after last year record breaking snowfall, and the slower fall and spring seasons, than I would summer. If you do something right, and don’t alienate the locals (word spreads fast amongst them), you could be successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Have it be a Pho-Ramen Noodle place to cater to a wider audience.
This is what I would do. Also disregard what others said about not wanting to eat it when it’s hot out, there’s no shortage of people eating pho, and ramen, in the summertime in San Diego. We’d go to one in Big Bear in a heartbeat when we’re up there. Do your homework, you could be onto something. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 09:12 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
I am thinking maybe a pho fast food joint. Simple menus focus on Togo and serve ready for customer. Maybe employ no more than 5 employees and I will be there for a year to
run and manage but after that I will hire trusted local person there to take care for us. Judging on what you said I really need to go to city chamber of commerce and see number of tourism go there in summer time.
I am planning to open year round of course otherwise pho food truck is another option I have mind that I can do just for the winter time. Anyways, I am very appreciated your feedback
My wife and I had a cabin up there for years. Most of the businesses heavily relied on locals to stay in business. And winter time business was booming. When we had the long droughts those businesses closed down and some floundered

If I were to do what you planned I would do seasonal out of a food truck to start. You can do it down here year round and do a test run up the hill for constant cash flow and hopefully a huge bump in the winter time if there is snow. The thing about a food truck is that if it doesn’t make what you want you can park it or sell it or do it on weekends only. Far easier to get a few employees to run it. If you go with a brick and mortar you’re looking at locked in a lease, the initial investment of remodeling the place to a restaurant, the kitchen setup costs, the food inspector, fire inspector, building inspector, CofO, ADA compliance Christ I know I’m missing stuff. Either way you’re looking at a huge investment. And on average most food places fail in their first year.

We had a BBQ joint open up in the city I live in. Everyone was waiting and we went. Horrible service on top of even more horrible food. Place was closed down I kid you not 2-3 months after opening.

I lived in Westminster for a few years too and had Pho. Some Pho is better than other. If your Pho is good I would do a test run in Westminster or similar area to get the reviews.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:00 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,132,378 times
The only phó vu restaurant that I have ever eaten at was, well, Pho Vu in La Quinta. I read that there is going to be a third location of the Pho Vu Vietnamese Restaurant franchise in Palm Springs (the second being in Palm Desert). So, basically, all of the restaurants with the same name are local out here in the desert.

The cuisine itself is healthy, and quite delicious.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:47 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,353,365 times
Wow, I am pretty astounded by the replies on here they say "Asians mostly eat pho". Uh, what planet are y'all from? This white girl- and tons of others- LOVES her some banh mi (tho I am not a huge fan of pho). Bring it on! I will bet that once people try it word will get round. I have found that no matter where you are located, if you have good food, people will come- doesn't matter how humble or what backroad or whatever. Good food, people will find. And Big Bear could stand some diversifying. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:46 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
High turnover for restaurants, it’s all going to come down to your lease terms. Plenty of people would want to buy if you can stay open long enough to serve them. There’s barely even decent pizza up there which is really saying something

Old 06-05-2018, 08:07 AM

354 posts, read 415,413 times
Default I ate at the best Vietnamese restaurant in Gilbert, AZ

My friend took me to a Vietnamese restaurant and it was the freshest food, we had a huge bowl of Pho. I could not eat it all. I asked them to open up a restaurant in Prescott, AZ located at 5200 ft in the mountains. The owner said he shops daily for his food, it needs to be fresh. He said he would have to drive over two hours one way and it would not be profitable.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:16 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
I was recently taking a nice vacation up in Big Bear Lake. I am contemplating if I should open a Vietnamese restaurant offering Pho, hot soup in a cold snowy days for hungry skiers and snowboarders seem like a great idea. I wonder if BBL is a business friendly city ? What are the cons and pros of open a new business idea in BBL ? I am excited but skeptical if the ideas is good any recommendation is greatly appreciated
No one has asked this yet, so I will: Do you have any experience owning and running a restaurant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties