Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 04:00 PM

485 posts, read 324,768 times

Advertisements

I agree w/ Brandon ... just go for the La Quinta house.

I've only been to Yucca just a few times and I didn't like it...just too out there for me. But I don't know where you're coming from so maybe you don't mind that.

LQ Cove isn't my favorite but I think its better than Yucca. JMO.

Maybe just rent the LQ home for a year and during that time, see how you like the other desert cities. You'll have that time to evaluate your commute and become more familiar w/ the valley, restaurants, shopping, entertainment, etc.

Maybe during that time you'll find that you really like Rancho Mirage or Indio or some other desert city and want to up the budget to find something else ... or maybe you'll find that you're perfectly content in the Cove and just end up staying.

When are you looking to move to the Desert?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 07:46 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,134,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
I agree w/ Brandon ... just go for the La Quinta house.

I've only been to Yucca just a few times and I didn't like it...just too out there for me. But I don't know where you're coming from so maybe you don't mind that.

LQ Cove isn't my favorite but I think its better than Yucca. JMO.

Maybe just rent the LQ home for a year and during that time, see how you like the other desert cities. You'll have that time to evaluate your commute and become more familiar w/ the valley, restaurants, shopping, entertainment, etc.

Maybe during that time you'll find that you really like Rancho Mirage or Indio or some other desert city and want to up the budget to find something else ... or maybe you'll find that you're perfectly content in the Cove and just end up staying.

When are you looking to move to the Desert?
Great advice!

Old 06-09-2018, 09:40 AM

8 posts, read 9,036 times
Thanks everyone--we're heading down finally to see places in person! All your advice has been very helpful! During the summer months, what would you estimate the a/c bill to be? We're seeing some places that use Edison and some that use Imperial--have heard Imperial is more affordable. We're trying to guess what 2 people cooling around 1000 sq ft, give or take, will cost. Living in the bay area, we don't have a/c so have no idea and are having wild imaginations of $500 electricity bills! Obviously we are on a pretty tight budget ( so will be careful around usage. Any guesstimates?
Thanks much again!

Old 06-09-2018, 11:04 AM

1,377 posts, read 2,134,287 times
SCE serves the western half of the valley, which includes Indian Wells, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, Cathedral City, Palm Springs, Desert Hot Springs, North Palm Springs, Desert Edge, Garnet, Whitewater, and Snow Creek.

IID, on the other hand, serves the more eastern half of the valley, including La Quinta, Indio, Bermuda Dunes, Sun City Palm Desert, Coachella, Thousand Palms, Sky Valley, Indio Hills, Thermal, Mecca, Vista Santa Rosa, Oasis, and North Shore.

Generally, the cut-off, dividing line, or line of demarcation, for both SCE and IID is Washington Street, though there might be a couple of exceptions to this rule.

Yes, IID is about a quarter cheaper (or, maybe half) than what SCE would cost. From what I have heard, SCE gets a bit of a worse reputation, primarily due to the fact that it experiences power outages more regularly than IID does, and some episodes of power outages are even said to be "scheduled." Just know that, and do take this with a grain of salt. If you plan to relocate to any of the cities/towns in the western half of the Coachella Valley I mentioned, consider yourself warned about this.

Any more questions? Let me know, and I wish you guys luck!

Last edited by Brandon Graves; 06-09-2018 at 11:13 AM..

Old 06-09-2018, 12:16 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,625,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey5 View Post
Living in the bay area, we don't have a/c so have no idea and are having wild imaginations of $500 electricity bills!
It's nothing imaginary down here.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:56 PM

Default $500 electricity bill!!!

Old 06-11-2018, 02:37 PM

485 posts, read 324,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey5 View Post
Thanks everyone--we're heading down finally to see places in person! All your advice has been very helpful! During the summer months, what would you estimate the a/c bill to be? We're seeing some places that use Edison and some that use Imperial--have heard Imperial is more affordable. We're trying to guess what 2 people cooling around 1000 sq ft, give or take, will cost. Living in the bay area, we don't have a/c so have no idea and are having wild imaginations of $500 electricity bills! Obviously we are on a pretty tight budget ( so will be careful around usage. Any guesstimates?
Thanks much again!
I lived in Palm Desert which is Edison and then I moved to Indio which is IID and to be honest, I couldn't tell a huge difference. I was actually paying more in Indio but that was mainly because our house was bigger there than the condo were were at in Palm Desert. We experienced power outages in both locations - and course - both during the summer months. We ended up just getting a hotel room for 1 night because I can't take the heat (I'm from Colorado so I'm not used those high temps).

We never spent $500 on a/c - but I guess it depends on how cool you keep your place and where the sun hits. For example, in Palm Desert we had a huge back sliding door that got blasted by the afternoon sun so it was very uncomfortable when we were in our living room watching TV during the summer... the a/c had a hard time keeping up.

But in Indio, we didn't get direct sun...we had palm trees that helped shade windows and stuff so we were MUCH more comfortable in that home.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:36 PM

^Yes, direct sun makes a world of difference. If your living room is bombarded by the western/setting sun, you'll feel like the temp's in the 80s even if the thermostat's set to 70-72. But that's a no-brainer.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:55 PM

We've seen about 10 different complexes of condos/apartments. Everyone is pushing or only offering upstairs or top floor units. We've always lived on the top floor and prefer it, so it begs the questions, is there something horribly wrong with top floor units down here? We assume they'll be warmer, but is the difference in AC cost so big that it's not worth it? Is it that much more expensive? Or is it just about people not wanting to walk upstairs with groceries everyday?

Old 06-13-2018, 06:43 PM

Top floor units only? Where have you looked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties