Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 06:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,421,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadhere View Post
Could you clarify a bit regarding th dry/sparse period of summer and fall. One of the attractions if California for me is the foliage, variety of trees, colors. I did visit Temecula a couple weeks ago. We were there for my husband's interview and only had a couple days as we were seeing other parts. It may have appeared a little dry as far as the trees etc. I take it that is what you're referring too?
It is dry all the time now with many businesses no longer watering their plants, lawn, ground cover. In general brown all the time unless you can afford to wager your yard. Many do not. Just there in August. Lived there for 9 years before that. Not much rain anymore. Drought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 08:43 AM

81 posts, read 182,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It is dry all the time now with many businesses no longer watering their plants, lawn, ground cover. In general brown all the time unless you can afford to wager your yard. Many do not. Just there in August. Lived there for 9 years before that. Not much rain anymore. Drought.
I was there in September. It didn't look brown although some trees had some deadness with the leaves, even the palm trees. Maybe that's just the change of season?

Old 10-15-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I was there in September. It didn't look brown although some trees had some deadness with the leaves, even the palm trees. Maybe that's just the change of season?
lack of rain, high cost of water and restrictions and it is dry and brown in most places. In Winter you see a little color on the hills, but not a real green.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:56 PM

485 posts, read 324,917 times
Quote:
lack of rain, high cost of water and restrictions and it is dry and brown in most places. In Winter you see a little color on the hills, but not a real green.
Yep.

I've lived in a few different areas of SoCal for the last 15 years and while there are things that I like, I'm ready to leave. Maybe if I were in my early 20's I might stay but I'm in my late 30's -- hubby and I want to buy a home (which is almost impossible here). Renting is just getting out of control ... we're tired of our rent increases each year and the traffic, taxes, crowds, etc. We get frustrated almost daily with these constant annoyances.

We moved here from Highlands Ranch, Colorado (near Denver) and we want to move right back. I miss rain, leaves changing and four seasons (yes, even snow -- because at least snow clears the air). Here, I suffer from year-round allergies.

Temecula isn't a bad place, its ok if you like suburbia. But if you want to explore other areas of SoCal, there are some inconveniences and not worth the high cost of living that comes with living in California. Just my opinion, of course.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
Yep.

I've lived in a few different areas of SoCal for the last 15 years and while there are things that I like, I'm ready to leave. Maybe if I were in my early 20's I might stay but I'm in my late 30's -- hubby and I want to buy a home (which is almost impossible here). Renting is just getting out of control ... we're tired of our rent increases each year and the traffic, taxes, crowds, etc. We get frustrated almost daily with these constant annoyances.

We moved here from Highlands Ranch, Colorado (near Denver) and we want to move right back. I miss rain, leaves changing and four seasons (yes, even snow -- because at least snow clears the air). Here, I suffer from year-round allergies.

Temecula isn't a bad place, its ok if you like suburbia. But if you want to explore other areas of SoCal, there are some inconveniences and not worth the high cost of living that comes with living in California. Just my opinion, of course.
Born and raised in SoCal. Moved out about 10 years ago. Considered moving back but chose not to and the reasons you gave are many of the same reasons we rejected it. We could buy and pay cash, so not a money issue, just the other things.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:00 AM

485 posts, read 324,917 times
Quote:
Born and raised in SoCal. Moved out about 10 years ago. Considered moving back but chose not to and the reasons you gave are many of the same reasons we rejected it. We could buy and pay cash, so not a money issue, just the other things.
Yeah, my hubby was born and raised here as well but I've lived all over (Denver, Houston, Seattle, just to name a few) and SoCal has been the most frustrating. His family is here so he does have a connection here but he's ready to leave.

Honestly, I think people need to be making some serious money to live here comfortably and you're right, even if someone IS making good money, those other things get in the way and make it hard to really enjoy this beautiful state. I actually enjoyed California more as a visitor than I do as a resident.

Where are you living now, if you don't mind me asking? And do you enjoy it there?

I'm trying to get ideas of places we'd consider moving to once we can escape here. We moved here from the Denver area 15 years ago and that is on the top of our list but we want to consider all options and do as much research as possible before making any decisions and making sure the timing is right.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:58 AM

81 posts, read 182,373 times
Quote:
Yeah, my hubby was born and raised here as well but I've lived all over (Denver, Houston, Seattle, just to name a few) and SoCal has been the most frustrating. His family is here so he does have a connection here but he's ready to leave.

Honestly, I think people need to be making some serious money to live here comfortably and you're right, even if someone IS making good money, those other things get in the way and make it hard to really enjoy this beautiful state. I actually enjoyed California more as a visitor than I do as a resident.

Where are you living now, if you don't mind me asking? And do you enjoy it there?

I'm trying to get ideas of places we'd consider moving to once we can escape here. We moved here from the Denver area 15 years ago and that is on the top of our list but we want to consider all options and do as much research as possible before making any decisions and making sure the timing is right.
Well it looks like we are moving to Temecula area. While I understand that California is indeed expensive and there seems to be a problem with traffic and such , Temecula doesn't seem like the end of the world by all means from what I saw with my brief visit....at least in our situation that is. My husband would be working in Murrieta so there wouldn't be that dreaded commute. The renting costs are comparable to where we're living now and it looks like the houses in Temecula offer more square footage and more yard. When we were there I didn't see any traffic in Temecula except near the highway. And going on 15 during non rush hour time wasn't bad at all. If things are planned out right it may not be that bad. He's not in a high pating job according to California standards but there is a pay increase. There will he things about the area we live in now that I'll miss. I like the set up of our neighborhood and it's feel. I can walk to the Longmont museum and rec center and a local coffee place (although it sucks but better than nothing). I didn't get a good chance to explore walkability of neighborhoods to any places in Temecula. I looked at the Google maps and there are some possible areas that would offer walkability. But I'm thinking the set up of Temecula may not be as good as Longmont. Longmont really isn't anything that special but the strip malls are integrated more as opposed to all being on one main road. We hardly go into the oldtown here as it seems somewhat dull to me so hopefully we're not losing out much there. I do like the historical neighborhood that surrounds it though. I do wish Temecula had that around it's old town. But as far as it's old town it was pleasant. Parking was really easy and the food was great. Even a random Mexican place we went into in the suburban area was good and the owner was so friendly and gave great service. The wineries will be neat to visit. And the number of places to see like the beach etc are very exciting. Colorado doesn't offer those things. Sure the mountains are pretty but I feel it only offers so much if you're not a certain type of person. And if you go east all you see is flatness. And I hate the winter and bitter cold. The idea of living in California again seemed like a dream although i will say that several posts on this forum have made me rethink things but I really hope things won't be as bad as they say. Temecula bmay not be perfect but it is a more affordable place in California that is within reasonable distance to great places. Colorado is very expensive too if you don't have money.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Hi,

I have lived all over the Country and just moved to Florida near the Atlantic. Volusia county on the East coast. Very nice beaches (avoid Daytona) and a more laid back atmosphere and far less traffic. Yes hot Summers with humidity but not as bad as South FL. Housing is much better priced than CA for sure and even in FL it has some of the best prices. Yes it is flat with very low hills, but a lot to do and many interesting places just a short drive. About a direct opposite to Denver. No income taxes, homestead exemptions and a cap on property price raises like Prop 13 in CA.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Well it looks like we are moving to Temecula area. While I understand that California is indeed expensive and there seems to be a problem with traffic and such , Temecula doesn't seem like the end of the world by all means from what I saw with my brief visit....at least in our situation that is. My husband would be working in Murrieta so there wouldn't be that dreaded commute. The renting costs are comparable to where we're living now and it looks like the houses in Temecula offer more square footage and more yard. When we were there I didn't see any traffic in Temecula except near the highway. And going on 15 during non rush hour time wasn't bad at all. If things are planned out right it may not be that bad. He's not in a high pating job according to California standards but there is a pay increase. There will he things about the area we live in now that I'll miss. I like the set up of our neighborhood and it's feel. I can walk to the Longmont museum and rec center and a local coffee place (although it sucks but better than nothing). I didn't get a good chance to explore walkability of neighborhoods to any places in Temecula. I looked at the Google maps and there are some possible areas that would offer walkability. But I'm thinking the set up of Temecula may not be as good as Longmont. Longmont really isn't anything that special but the strip malls are integrated more as opposed to all being on one main road. We hardly go into the oldtown here as it seems somewhat dull to me so hopefully we're not losing out much there. I do like the historical neighborhood that surrounds it though. I do wish Temecula had that around it's old town. But as far as it's old town it was pleasant. Parking was really easy and the food was great. Even a random Mexican place we went into in the suburban area was good and the owner was so friendly and gave great service. The wineries will be neat to visit. And the number of places to see like the beach etc are very exciting. Colorado doesn't offer those things. Sure the mountains are pretty but I feel it only offers so much if you're not a certain type of person. And if you go east all you see is flatness. And I hate the winter and bitter cold. The idea of living in California again seemed like a dream although i will say that several posts on this forum have made me rethink things but I really hope things won't be as bad as they say. Temecula may not be perfect but it is a more affordable place in California that is within reasonable distance to great places. Colorado is very expensive too if you don't have money.
I Lived in Murrieta and liked the area and old town Temecula was a good place to visit. A friend also owns one of the wineries and you will enjoy visiting them all. It is a bit dull in some ways, but there are a lot of places to visit in the mountains, desert, beaches and of course Vegas is about 5 hours away. Walk-ability is not good there, except in a very few areas. The biggest negative will be the taxes and fees that constantly go up in CA. A real pain.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:47 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,780,573 times
Quote:
Well it looks like we are moving to Temecula area. While I understand that California is indeed expensive and there seems to be a problem with traffic and such , Temecula doesn't seem like the end of the world by all means from what I saw with my brief visit....at least in our situation that is. My husband would be working in Murrieta so there wouldn't be that dreaded commute. The renting costs are comparable to where we're living now and it looks like the houses in Temecula offer more square footage and more yard. When we were there I didn't see any traffic in Temecula except near the highway. And going on 15 during non rush hour time wasn't bad at all. If things are planned out right it may not be that bad. He's not in a high pating job according to California standards but there is a pay increase. There will he things about the area we live in now that I'll miss. I like the set up of our neighborhood and it's feel. I can walk to the Longmont museum and rec center and a local coffee place (although it sucks but better than nothing). I didn't get a good chance to explore walkability of neighborhoods to any places in Temecula. I looked at the Google maps and there are some possible areas that would offer walkability. But I'm thinking the set up of Temecula may not be as good as Longmont. Longmont really isn't anything that special but the strip malls are integrated more as opposed to all being on one main road. We hardly go into the oldtown here as it seems somewhat dull to me so hopefully we're not losing out much there. I do like the historical neighborhood that surrounds it though. I do wish Temecula had that around it's old town. But as far as it's old town it was pleasant. Parking was really easy and the food was great. Even a random Mexican place we went into in the suburban area was good and the owner was so friendly and gave great service. The wineries will be neat to visit. And the number of places to see like the beach etc are very exciting. Colorado doesn't offer those things. Sure the mountains are pretty but I feel it only offers so much if you're not a certain type of person. And if you go east all you see is flatness. And I hate the winter and bitter cold. The idea of living in California again seemed like a dream although i will say that several posts on this forum have made me rethink things but I really hope things won't be as bad as they say. Temecula bmay not be perfect but it is a more affordable place in California that is within reasonable distance to great places. Colorado is very expensive too if you don't have money.
If your husband will be working in Murrieta then why not consider living in Murrieta? Murrieta and Temecula are really one city. They both have excellent schools, very low crime,similar demographics, etc. Murrieta is newer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties