Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 05:29 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,470,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy WJ View Post
Good suggestion, TacoSoup. I almost suggested that as well since we've been considering that same move for ourselves, mostly for summer and easy access to hiking trails. Do you recommend any particular community?
That’s a good question. Lake Arrowhead is by far the nicest community up there. You have the advantage of taking both the 18 and 330, but now your commute is that much longer. I wrote a response to this question last year about Running Springs. I will many houses that were a bit “shabby” have been flipped and put back on the market or bought by commuters and rehabbed. I say this because of the number of the same sedans I see in the driveways all days of the week suggests it’s not just part time residents or vacationers. We ultimately chose Running Springs for its proximity to both Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear, and being to at our cabin as soon as we got to the top of the hill. There’s two Facebook groups “you know you’re from the mountain” and “Running Springsters” where people discuss this topic all the time, and are more than happy to answer any questions from those looking to relocate there. Good luck.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-b...g-springs.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 05:40 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,470,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
You don’t want to commute from Running Springs or Anaheim. If it were me - and my alumni magazine means I’m a bit biased - I would base in Redlands, probably in/near downtown, and go outside the area on days off for other activities.
Anaheim no way. As for Running Springs many do. I will say someone needs to do their homework and go in with their eyes wide open before commiting to it. Some don’t seem to mind it and wouldn’t live anywhere else, others hated it and would never do it again, even meaning making less money working up there. I’ve talked to my neighbors and residents at the bar that do it, or have done it, and I’ve heard mixed results.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:41 PM

184 posts, read 440,713 times
Thanks, TacoSoup. Appreciate the great info and links!

Old 11-04-2018, 08:29 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,634,457 times
Living in Redlands is no big deal apart from the air quality. Move there and draw a sixty-mile radius around the region with Redlands as the center and look how much stuff there is.

[/thread]

Old 11-05-2018, 12:48 PM

612 posts, read 1,517,005 times
Thanks guys for suggestions!!

I looked into option of living into Anaheim and now I feel it will be waste of time too, instead would be able to utilize those 2.5-3 hours for something useful. I looked in options of Lake Arrowhead, Crestline, Arrowhead Springs and area near Big Bear Lake. For these I don't have problem with snow, but I don't find any apartment communities in these area. Looks like there are cabins/houses there, which since I would be the only one living, it might get difficult for me to manage everything. Not sure, haven't stayed in mountains alone before. Also will have to train myself to drive in snow on the hills. I have driven on snow before, but not in mountainous area.

How's Rancho Cucamonga? I found some good apt communities in Alta Loma area with mountain view and looks like it would take me 30-35 mins to work via 10 or 210. The apts are little on expensive end, but will adjust.

Also salary wise, I would be paid little less than $100K/year which kind of seemed less to me for California since it's expensive there. However am not very sure about SoCal. I know Silicon valley is very expensive, so wouldn't be able to adjust there with this salary.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:40 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,155,708 times
That is a good compromise- albeit- I cannot speak to the cultural or social preferences that you have- that ends up being fairly empirical w/o solid referrals from people that really know you...you will be closer to pretty cool urbany stuff yet, close to the mountains and foothills for outdoor rec. The heat is going to be a factor X as you will be inside a lot anyhow, right?
Traffic can fluxuate and yeah- there's a lot of people in So Cal- but I think that is a pretty manageable commute. I hope it works out for you to come here at least for a while and I hope you like ESRI- I am doing one of their MOOCs right now and I am grateful for their generosity and abundance of smart people!!

Old 11-05-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
That is a good compromise- albeit- I cannot speak to the cultural or social preferences that you have- that ends up being fairly empirical w/o solid referrals from people that really know you...you will be closer to pretty cool urbany stuff yet, close to the mountains and foothills for outdoor rec. The heat is going to be a factor X as you will be inside a lot anyhow, right?
Traffic can fluxuate and yeah- there's a lot of people in So Cal- but I think that is a pretty manageable commute. I hope it works out for you to come here at least for a while and I hope you like ESRI- I am doing one of their MOOCs right now and I am grateful for their generosity and abundance of smart people!!
I am not much of a night life person but I like to be around nature. Also I don't have friends in that area, so hanging out would be less of an option for me other than visiting LA or SD or surrounding areas solo. Yeah heat is going to be a problem anywhere I stay in So Cal except for the mountains I guess (which might not workout for me as even though it's fun, I would be scared to live alone in mountains... )

I noticed Rancho Cucamonga has the city life that I have always lived in and also has good restaurant options and shopping malls around which would be a secondary necessity of living for me.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:25 PM
QIS

You will like Claremont too!

Old 11-05-2018, 05:32 PM

Thanks QIS!

Yeah Claremont looks good too, but it's about an hour drive from the company. I am going to hold off onto my apt search now since I had tried negotiating the compensation last week and I was suppose to hear back from them latest by EOD today. I didn't get any response from them even after following up multiple times today, so not sure if they are still interested or not.

But anyways, thank you all for your suggestions!

Old 11-05-2018, 06:22 PM
QIS

Claremont would be an after work- weekend place to do stuff etc... best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties