Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 11:05 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,316,619 times

Advertisements

Something I've noticed is at least a perceived difference in preference between San Diego and Temecula / Murrieta. San Diego has a lot of hardwood or laminate flooring but I'm seeing lots of houses in Temecula that have all the main living areas in tile more like I see in Las Vegas. Curious what the reasoning is? Does hardwood not do well in drier climates?

BTW I purposely put this in this forum rather than the home decorating forum to get more local opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 10:51 AM

Anybody have hardwood flooring in Riverside County?

Old 02-08-2019, 11:59 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,418,823 times
Tile stays much cooler than other flooring. I believe this is why you see more in Temecula vs San Diego. The further east you go in SD county the more tile you see.

There’s no reason why you can’t have hardwood floors in Riverside Co. I’d possibly look into ceramic tile that has the appearance of wood if that the look you desire. They’ve come a long way with the look and feel and it’ll feel cooler on the feet during the warm summers. That’s just my opinion experiencing both next to each other in the same house.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:41 PM

Thanks for chiming in, kind of verified what I've been thinking.
I'm not a fan of the wood look tile but maybe, like you said, it's better now. Tile is harder to walk on compared to wood and is a concern as well with my feet.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Something I've noticed is at least a perceived difference in preference between San Diego and Temecula / Murrieta. San Diego has a lot of hardwood or laminate flooring but I'm seeing lots of houses in Temecula that have all the main living areas in tile more like I see in Las Vegas. Curious what the reasoning is? Does hardwood not do well in drier climates?

BTW I purposely put this in this forum rather than the home decorating forum to get more local opinions.
wood swells in moist climates. Pprobably less squeaking when walking on floors less splinters.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Bannworth View Post
wood swells in moist climates. Pprobably less squeaking when walking on floors less splinters.
Wood will swell so when installing need to leave about 1/2" all the way around the perimeter which then gets covered by the baseboard. If it's hardwood that is installed correctly there won't be any squeaking and not too many splinters

Old 02-08-2019, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,372 times
All the way to Mexico

Old 02-14-2019, 10:19 PM

816 posts, read 913,966 times
We had hardwood in San Bernardino County for 14 years and no problem. Hardwood also works in TX and IL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties