Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 01:51 AM

40 posts, read 44,500 times

Advertisements

I have been in Hesperia, CA. for around 24 years. The population has nearly doubled, causing congestion on surface streets and freeways. This used to be a quiet city with half of the population that it has today. Crime has also risen. A commute to the Inland Empire used to be worth it. The commute has become a nightmare and developers are about the break ground on a housing development that will at its completion, add another 50,000 people to the city, many of the breadwinners in those households will also be commuting to the Inland Empire, the roads and freeways were not designed for more traffic, let alone the current traffic.Word is that the development will take around 10 years to complete. Driving through Hesperia today was like the movie "Fridays" mixed with "American Me". I don't have a problem with any particular ethnicity, but I do have a problem with hood rats all over Hesperia. Went to a local dog park the other day, gangster/drug user leaving as I arrived, inside of the park were two old OG gangsters hanging out and of course a trip to a dog park would not be complete without a pit bull being there. I feel like I need to move just for peace of mind, it's time to bite the bullet and spend more money on housing or move out of this state to be in a better area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 02:15 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,108 times
I lived in Victorville from 1991-2004 and got out of there when my neighbor was shot dead on his driveway. Hesperia is really no better than Victorville and has been in decline for decades. I agree with everything you've said about it. Overpopulation has destroyed California, so Hesperia is no different. Move to Lake Arrowhead if you're still working, or go to Nevada for MUCH lower taxes and less crime if you're retired. The commute down the Cajon Pass used to be a breeze, but it's hell now.

Don't expect Hesperia to get any better with crime, demographics or population, it's a never-ending downwards spiral, sad to say.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:44 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,943,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Don't expect Hesperia to get any better with crime, demographics or population, it's a never-ending downwards spiral, sad to say.
The new homes proposed and built at south Hesperia (called Tapestry) near highway 138 will increase gentrification, increase median income, attract more wealthy residents, and decrease crime rate. Hesperia (when city gets bigger) will get better beyond year 2020, so try not to worry much about it now. South Hesperia new homes will start at over $400,000, and will cost about $100,000 more than Adelanto and Victorville with similar sq. ft. . Just stay away from old homes downtown area, that's all.

Last edited by waltchan; 05-07-2019 at 04:01 PM..

Old 05-07-2019, 03:52 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
...or go to Nevada for MUCH lower taxes and less crime if you're retired.

"Lower taxes" -- maybe?
"Less crime" -- doubtful. Half of California's criminal population relocated to Las Vegas over the past 10 years. Just read the Las Vegas news pages.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:01 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
The new homes proposed and built at south Hesperia (called Tapestry) near highway 138 will increase gentrification, increase median income, attract more wealthy residents, and decrease crime rate. Hesperia (when city gets bigger) will get better beyond year 2020, so try not to worry much about it now. South Hesperia new homes will start at over $400,000, and will cost about $100,000 more than Adelanto and Victorville with similar sq. ft. . Just stay away from old homes downtown area, that's all.
No it won't. It's a commuter city and most of the people who live there do so because the housing is cheaper. The better jobs are down the hill in Riverside and SB County. Who would be willing to drive a minimum of one hour each way to live in Victor Valley? Only the people who can't afford to live in the more urban areas. All you have to do is look at Palmdale/Lancaster as a similar example.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:31 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,943,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
No it won't. It's a commuter city and most of the people who live there do so because the housing is cheaper. The better jobs are down the hill in Riverside and SB County. Who would be willing to drive a minimum of one hour each way to live in Victor Valley? Only the people who can't afford to live in the more urban areas. All you have to do is look at Palmdale/Lancaster as a similar example.
There will be some new business industrial park planned at south Hesperia. More info can be found here:

https://tapestryliving.com/

And, no, crime rate will not be increasing. Poor people cannot afford $400,000 plus new homes.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:03 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
There will be some new business industrial park planned at south Hesperia. More info can be found here:

And, no, crime rate will not be increasing. Poor people cannot afford $400,000 plus new homes.
True, the wealth disparity is hurting poor and middle class residents and is driving them into smaller Apts, rental bedrooms, home with family or out of State. This is happening in every popular area in the Country, not just CA, it is just that CA is doing so faster. It is impacting the last 2 generations the most.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:25 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
Quote:

Right next to Oak Hills? A better part of town, but I still wouldn't want to live there. I've looked at houses out there over a decade ago and you can't tell me things have improved.

A business industrial park is not anything like high tech jobs. Nice that new jobs will be there, but not the kind of businesses that will substantially raise middle class wages. Still an hour+ away to the best jobs in the city. Again, look at the history of the Palmdale/Lancaster area.

Until some major businesses locate their corporate offices there, change will be difficult.

And your comment regarding crime is rather condescending to poor people...

Last edited by Vic Romano; 05-08-2019 at 03:37 PM..

Old 05-08-2019, 04:16 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Right next to Oak Hills? A better part of town, but I still wouldn't want to live there. I've looked at houses out there over a decade ago and you can't tell me things have improved.

A business industrial park is not anything like high tech jobs. Nice that new jobs will be there, but not the kind of businesses that will substantially raise middle class wages. Still an hour+ away to the best jobs in the city. Again, look at the history of the Palmdale/Lancaster area.

Until some major businesses locate their corporate offices there, change will be difficult.

And your comment regarding crime is rather condescending to poor people...
Palmdale/Lancaster has access to good jobs. There's the Mojave Space Port (SpaceX, Virgin, Scaled), Edwards AFB, Plant 42, Lockheed, Boeing, Morton, there's the medical jobs, the county jobs, the state jobs, the L.A. Air Route Traffic Control Center is located in Palmdale, as is an adjacent NASA research lab, etc.

What killed Victorville/Hesperia was the closure of George AFB in the 1990s. It was devastating to that area. A lot of people from the Victorville Area actually commute over to Palmdale/Lancaster for work.

Last edited by kttam186290; 05-08-2019 at 04:25 PM..

Old 05-09-2019, 08:22 PM

239 posts, read 660,861 times
Back in the 80s, the victor valley was a sparsely populated area, a place to gas up along the way to Las Vegas, a quiet place for recluses to retire away from the insanity of Los Angeles. A place for an old Jeep enthusiast to enjoy the beautiful desert. It really should never have gotten as big as it is. But, as housing bubbles were built, and gentrification occurred near LA, the socal poor needed a place to live affordably. I’m not sure who/how it started, but the high desert was chosen as that place. The endless desert in virtually all direction means land will never be rare, so it’s cheap to develop. Nowadays, there is plenty of section 8 housing, crime, and welfare occurring in the area. And with the economy literally in its best possible position, and California moving further to the left, there is little way to reverse coarse. If thinking about leaving, I would sell ASAP, before RE prices implode as the bubble deflates. Good luck all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties