Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 03:56 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times

Advertisements

Long passage ahead...

I've never been to Palm Springs but ordered a visitors' guide last year and do read news from there occasionally. I even like to watch HGTV shows from there to see the area.

Of course it's a gay male haven, or at least I've read that. When did that actually start? Decades ago or more recently?

I understand it had a great heyday decades ago with movie stars vacationing and moving there? Buy it fell on hard times for a long, long time, and still has rough areas and relatively severe social ills in parts? Yet it's a very desirable place to live and visit in recent years? It's got its groove back?

The male gays are mainly retired gays and wealthy gays who can telecommute?

Are most gay males well off or is there room for a lower-middle-class to middle-class income guy like me (bachelor's degree but no prestigious career on my resume)? I'm white, American-born and grew up mainly middle class.

Lots of New Englanders living there, or also many from the northeast and Mid-Atlantic?

I'd likely need to work part-time well into my sixties, driving Uber or working at a grocery store. I've been an Uber driver in Boston the past two years and like it, but realize it's not secure and it would undoubtedly pay much less in Palm Springs.

Too many transients and part-timers, thus perhaps no sense of community?

Not to be gay graphic, but on Craigslist, I'd see raunchy gay personal listings in your area even compared to other cities. Of course, CL banned personals last year so it's difficult to get a read on the scene there now. Is it a really sketchy and sleazy scene for gays there, seemingly permeating nearly every corner, or that's just a small sample? And I have read that some younger gay males flock there on weekends certain times of the year or for certain party themes...but I'm sure retreat back to good jobs in San Diego and Los Angeles?

(Oh, I've had my sleazy side but have never been involved in drinking or drugs.)

I'd likely have to settle for a nicer mobile home. It seems some are quite nice but the air conditioning bill would be insane. Oh, and many decent mobile home parks are selective, contrary to public belief, as one must have a good credit score, savings and references.

I couldn't afford to summer elsewhere unlike many there to escape the heat, so would need to be a year-round resident. Yes, I monitor the summer temps. It's brutal but the nights seem between 80 and 90 degrees and not humid.... maybe that's a quick and comfortable enough respite until the next hot day? I've never been in 110-118 degree dry hea --t but it's possibly more comfortable than 93 in Florida or Texas with 80% humidity?

Is it popular with older lesbians or dominated by older gay males, most with money? I assume not many younger LGBTQ+ live there, as not lots of decent jobs.

Is the gay male scene simply too intense and even bothersome to many non gays? I imagine those who don't approve of gays, or so many local gays, still enjoy their economic impact.

As a hockey fan, I'm excited about your new arena being built and a new American Hockey League farm team for the soon-to-be NHL Seattle team.

That's quite a coup, both the arena and the team with likely 35-40 home games. For those who don't know, the AHL is the best minor professional hockey league, akin to Triple A baseball; some players will go onto NHL careers. Players would likely be 18-30 years old, most or all polite and decent, and comprised mainly of players from U.S. colleges or Canadian junior hockey, Americans, Canadians and Europeans. The team will likely have the players involved with the community.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 12:47 PM

490 posts, read 623,657 times
I’ve only lived in PS for a year so I’m far from an expert. The gay community is a large part of the vibe here and while there are plenty of older folks it’s seems very balanced age wise. Plenty of lesbians as well but the male demo seems more dominant. I’m not gay and can see where it might be a little too much for some straight people but I enjoy it. There also seems to be a good mix of well to do and lower income residents.

It is however a fairly expensive place to live compared to some areas. Gas, food and utility bills, taxes, vehicle registration all add up. Some of the surrounding communities are a little more affordable and the area is easy to get around by car or public transportation. If you haven’t lived in the desert before it takes some getting used to. I’ve lived in FL before and there is a big difference between a dry 100 degrees and the same temp with FL humidity. 100 is very tolerable here. 115 though is pretty brutal. Winters are gorgeous. The air quality is not always great and there is a lot of dust that gets everywhere. The mountains are beautiful but the valley is a desert. Lots of beige palate and what greenery there is is very forced requiring lots of water. As someone who has lived on the east coast and the Midwest all my life I kind of miss the lushness and trees.

Hopefully others who have lived here longer will chime in. Best of luck with your decision.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:27 PM

661 posts, read 832,364 times
The Hollywood and big money has moved north, Madison Club, Vintage and Big Horn and surrounding is where the big money is, such as the Kardashian's new house, Stallone or Gates, Larry Ellison etc etc.

PS was more of a gay area but is now a bit more moderate and also catering to families and everyone else, although the gay community is still large in the area.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:13 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
There's a huge number of older gay men in PS (lesbians too, but not as many). It's a very friendly culture towards gays, less so to straights IMO, so you should fit right in. I don't say that in a snarky way, incidentally.

I would certainly visit the area before you make any decisions. Palm Springs has deteriorated in the last 40 years and the traffic there and through Rancho Mirage is hideous. Something to think about.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:09 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Visit in the winter and visit again in the summer. It's like two different places. I think you're putting too much into gay, gay, gay. It's very gay friendly, but being gay isn't going to make your life wonderful there if you can't handle other things about it. You need to visit and see it for yourself. Travel brochures aren't enough.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:09 AM

375 posts, read 608,949 times
I’m new to the Palm Springs area having moved here this spring from a temperate SoCal coastal climate. My first summer here was as expected: hot! But as a retiree I can choose my hours of exposure.

Raised in northern New England, and never thought I could tolerate scorching PS summer temps but I have adjusted. In the shade, under 100F is quite tolerable; between 100 & 110 is testing one’s resolve; and over 110 is just too darned hot to be outside. Of course those who can afford to escape our summer heat do.

I’m told that more younger straight and gay couples are moving to the PS area, particularly those who can earn good wages by telecommuting since good-paying jobs in the valley are scarce.

For decades, PS has been an elder gay retirement destination, so lots of us here - from all financial strata. Many older gays like younger guys; how much of that is a sugar-daddy arrangement is anyone’s guess. No doubt that PS has its share of younger guys hustling the senior crowd.

Most of the Coachella Valley is said to be gay friendly, but in truth it’s mostly just gay tolerant. Homophobia hasn’t died here. That said, there’s a big difference in the more gay friendly nature of PS versus other local cities which is one reason that, on average, PS real estate commands a higher (gay) premium than other areas of the valley. Many gays living in PS feel that they’re finally ‘home’ and wouldn’t live anywhere else.

You would be wise to rent here before considering buying. Rents in the better areas aren’t cheap, but better than sinking a pile of money into a purchase only to come to dislike the area. There are a good number of senior manufactured-home parks that are likely to be more quiet than family parks. If you’re buying, know that many properties sit on leased Indian land which usually requires a monthly lease payment; generally better to rent or buy on ‘fee’ land where you own the lot - and rents/purchase price will reflect this difference.

Best of luck.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:09 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Thanks for the informative replies.

Sorry that I was just now able to reply.

I just downloaded the TuneIn radio app and somehow bumped across your Palm Springs Mod 107.3 fm! Great music for my 59+ y.o. age group. Seems unique with some old standards, some I've never heard before. Oh, the radio promo calls it "the new Mod." Is it really that new, and what type of format did it replace? "Greatest Songs of All Time" is what the station just called itself before now playing "The Look of Love"! Perfect...And now another upbeat song I've never heard, but I like it.

I assume it's available on your regular fm car radio, not just an app? Weird though how it doesn't show the song and artist unlike KIXI 880 am in Seattle, a seemingly similar format which I discovered in 2012 on a visit out there.

Oh, do cable TV options show Los Angeles or perhaps San Diego network affiliates and sports stations, or just Palm Springs network affiliates? I assume PS has its own NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox and PBS stations?

And does your local newspaper still publish a print edition seven days per week? And is there an independent arts and entertainment weekly anymore?

Thanks again.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:19 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
The Palm Springs/Coachella Valley has its own TV network affiliate stations and the local cable channels would include Los Angeles channels as well. The Desert Sun is the daily print newspaper owned by USA Today’s parent company. In addition, there are several alternative, independent weekly papers with entertainment listings.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:55 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
The Palm Springs/Coachella Valley has its own TV network affiliate stations and the local cable channels would include Los Angeles channels as well. The Desert Sun is the daily print newspaper owned by USA Today’s parent company. In addition, there are several alternative, independent weekly papers with entertainment listings.
Also a magazine - www.palmspringslife.com

Old 03-07-2020, 05:15 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
Had been considering Palm Springs and Palm Desert and looking at properties for awhile, and having lived in Scottsdale and Phoenix for a long time didn't have an issue with the summer heat. Then looked into property taxes, water, electric costs, all quite high. Also noticed many of the nicer neighborhoods have very high association fees, like double what they are in AZ. So the search is taking us back to AZ for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties