Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2020, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Reputation: 955

Advertisements

Hey All,

So, I currently live in Virginia, but I was wondering what is the coronavirus cases like in the San Bernardino and Riverside counties in California? Two my college kids are supposed to be summer staff at a huge Summer Camp in San Bernardino area, and I was wondering what do you make of the chances of summer camp being called off due to the coronavirus outbreaks?

My kids and I have been communicating with the camp itself, and as of now they plan to move forward with camp this summer and are very optimistic that things will be a lot better by then (not necessarily over but just controlled enough for most things to reopen as normal). The plan is that my kids fly out west from Virginia sometime in the week of May 21-27. That is just under 2 months from now. According to Trump, we should be fine, while the CDC is very unsure though. I have heard multiple conflicting reports from the CDC. What also worries me is that Virginia has issued stay home orders until June 10 as of now (this could very well be modified if things get better but, I think governor Northam is trying to overestimate rather than underestimate and having to extend later). I know the camp itself is very optimistic, but I am trying to look at logistics here and get some other opinions of people in the area of what we might be looking at?

My two kids that will be working at summer camp are extremely concerned and worried about how this pandemic might affect their summer, and I honestly do not blame them. They really want to work at camp so bad and they love it there. It is there second summer doing this and it will be such a blow to my kids if they aren't able to spend this summer at camp. I as well support my kids and will be very sad for them if they cannot serve this summer at camp.

Anyway, what do you all make of the chances? Like if you would estimate a certain percentage of the likelihood of camp being called off vs moving forward what would it be? Are cases bad in San Bernardino county? Also even if they are not necessarily bad in that area, what would Governor Gavin Newsom's laws be like around that time if you can predict? I know that nobody has a definitive answer and we will have to wait and see, but I am just trying to get some logic in here and educated guesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2020, 02:22 PM
 
919 posts, read 848,041 times
Reputation: 1071
My guess is that the camp will be called off.
School has been cancelled till the end of the school year. Initial plan for most schools was to have students out till 4/30 and in for however many days the month of May. No longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2020, 02:29 PM
 
17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Reputation: 36278
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
My guess is that the camp will be called off.
School has been cancelled till the end of the school year. Initial plan for most schools was to have students out till 4/30 and in for however many days the month of May. No longer.
Exactly, tell them they need to start thinking about local jobs where you live. That's nice that they enjoy coming out here and working with kids. But all of us and especially younger people need to realize things have changed at least for the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2020, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Reputation: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly, tell them they need to start thinking about local jobs where you live. That's nice that they enjoy coming out here and working with kids. But all of us and especially younger people need to realize things have changed at least for the near future.
Honestly they could do that, but if camp gets called off, my guess is that jobs will not be hiring in general because of the same reason. Many businesses are closing down, and people are struggling to find summer jobs in general. We might as well just quarantine as a family for a bit if worse comes to worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2020, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Reputation: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
My guess is that the camp will be called off.
School has been cancelled till the end of the school year. Initial plan for most schools was to have students out till 4/30 and in for however many days the month of May. No longer.
Yeah but camp doesn't start until the end of May for my kids and that is just orientation weak, and actual camp starts first week of June I believe. So that is still after the end of the school year, correct? Not so sure. I think there might be also a possibility that camp might call off the first 2 weeks as well. Just a guess but I have no idea.

Also I wouldn't necessarily say things have changed as much as just things are being put on hold for the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2020, 06:11 PM
 
17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Reputation: 36278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Honestly they could do that, but if camp gets called off, my guess is that jobs will not be hiring in general because of the same reason. Many businesses are closing down, and people are struggling to find summer jobs in general. We might as well just quarantine as a family for a bit if worse comes to worse.
Well hopefully it doesn't come to that.

I can tell you out here supermarket chains such as Ralphs are hiring people to unload trucks and to do home delivery. Might not be what they wanted, but you probably will have something in your area soon like that.

I got whatever full time job or two part time jobs that I could get while in college.

This is going to be harder on young people who have had it pretty easy in this country for the last decade or so.

Those of us who lived through the AIDS crisis, civil unrest here in LA in 1992, earthquakes, loss of loved ones over the years. well while still very upsetting this current situation, you have seen more angst. And those older who are still with us remember the Great Depression and WW2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2020, 07:02 AM
 
Location: So Ca
26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Reputation: 24785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
The plan is that my kids fly out west from Virginia sometime in the week of May 21-27.
Isn't Virginia on lockdown until June 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Are cases bad in San Bernardino county? Also even if they are not necessarily bad in that area, what would Governor Gavin Newsom's laws be like around that time if you can predict?
There are currently 304 confirmed cases with 3 deaths in San Bernardino County. It's hard to predict what will happen in any area going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2020, 08:12 AM
 
Location: So Ca
26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Reputation: 24785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Yes but people can still fly in and out.
I'm sorry, but I can't imagine putting my kids on a plane going anywhere at this time--or within the next 3 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2020, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Reputation: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I'm sorry, but I can't imagine putting my kids on a plane going anywhere at this time--or within the next 3 months.
Definitely is risky, but I travel all the time for business. Of Course, at this time, many things with my job are being moved remotely so I do not do that hardly at all during this time, but even back in the end of March, I was flying to Texas, Florida, and Massachusetts for business, and that was well after Trump declared state of emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2020, 12:07 PM
 
Location: So Ca
26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Reputation: 24785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Definitely is risky, but I travel all the time for business. Of Course, at this time, many things with my job are being moved remotely so I do not do that hardly at all during this time, but even back in the end of March, I was flying to Texas, Florida, and Massachusetts for business, and that was well after Trump declared state of emergency.
Toward the end of March, there were far fewer confirmed cases and deaths of COVID-19 in California. There are now over 11,000 confirmed cases--and 250 deaths--in our state. I don't know how many there are of either in Virginia, but I would not want my kids exposed to this type of health risk now or in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top