Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 10:26 AM

12,785 posts, read 15,005,798 times

Advertisements

Is it known all over that no matter when during the month that a person bought their car, that when it's time to pay the registration each year that it's always due to the DMV on the last day of that month?

So let's say someone bought their car on Sept 7th. When the DMV registration bill comes, isn't it going to be due on Sept 30th? So no one's car would ever get towed until the very end of the month IF they couldn't pay, right?

BTW, anyone know if smog places are open nowadays? I don't believe so since that's not really sn essential & no one's driving around hardly anyway.

(I didn't put this in the Automotive section because I know each state's DMV has their own rules.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 11:24 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Is it known all over that no matter when during the month that a person bought their car, that when it's time to pay the registration each year that it's always due to the DMV on the last day of that month?

So let's say someone bought their car on Sept 7th. When the DMV registration bill comes, isn't it going to be due on Sept 30th? So no one's car would ever get towed until the very end of the month IF they couldn't pay, right?

BTW, anyone know if smog places are open nowadays? I don't believe so since that's not really sn essential & no one's driving around hardly anyway.

(I didn't put this in the Automotive section because I know each state's DMV has their own rules.)
If you registered your car on Sept. 7th, the registration will be due the following Sept. 7th.

They won't tow a car for expired registration if it's only a month late, a car is only towed if the registration has been expired for 6 months.

DMV isn't enforcing some delinquent registrations for 60 days if the transaction has to be conducted in a DMV office. https://www.10news.com/news/coronavi...to-coronavirus

Old 04-09-2020, 09:52 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,460,310 times
Quote:

The registration date is set when the vehicle is first purchased, brand new, from a car dealership. That date could be date of purchase, or up to 3 days after date of purchase. Commercial trucks and pickups always have an expiration date of the last day of the month of purchase.

If you purchased the car used, the registration expiration date was already in place and does not change. Since you're talking about getting a SMOG, and new cars don't need them, I'm assuming that you purchased a used car. If you don't have documents showing the expiration date, the license plate should have a month and year sticker showing when registration is next due.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:57 AM

Thanks guys & 2sleepy, thanks for that article! I hope my apt leasing office is aware of the 60-day extension. They're tow-happy around here & love to just tow cars the moment they can!

Old 04-10-2020, 11:02 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Thanks guys & 2sleepy, thanks for that article! I hope my apt leasing office is aware of the 60-day extension. They're tow-happy around here & love to just tow cars the moment they can!
Are they towing cars because of expired reg? You might want them to have their attorney read this section of the vehicle code which does not list expired tags as a reason for a private party to tow a vehicle. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=22658.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Are they towing cars because of expired reg? You might want them to have their attorney read this section of the vehicle code which does not list expired tags as a reason for a private party to tow a vehicle. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=22658.
Not yet that I know of, but you never know what the leasing office will try to do. I hope they're aware about the current 60-day extension.

I don't know how many if any smog testing places are open these days, but what if a person doesn't want to go out there right now due to covid-19?

Last edited by Forever Blue; 04-13-2020 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties