Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:56 PM

27 posts, read 160,026 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Wondering those big roaches will be crawling around during the month of March?? Or mostly during the hot summer months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 11:44 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoFlintstone View Post
Hi,

Wondering those big roaches will be crawling around during the month of March?? Or mostly during the hot summer months?
Unfortunately, they're here year-round. But a good pest control service works miracles!

Old 01-12-2009, 12:35 AM

681 posts, read 2,912,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoFlintstone View Post
Unlike your home digs March is definitely mid-spring with mild and warm weather, so if you are staying close to date trees or groves there could be few.

I lived there for years and they never really bothered me, but apparently some people [ahem] arriving later seemed to attract them - or something. [Just joking, NG - don't blow another cork]. I'd already been down south by then and had seen much larger and more menacing bugs in Mississippi and Florida, and survived, but what do I know?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 8,265 times
My first inclination is to play 'Brer Rabbit' and agree that no one should have to live here, but that wouldn't be fair. I grew up vacationing in Palm Springs in the 1950's and moved here full time in 1983. This is, and will always be, my home. Is it perfect? No. If you can find a perfect place, please inform me. Our first home was in the old movie colony area in Palm Springs, and it was loaded with roaches. We've moved several times over the years (always farther south down-valley) and it has been our experience that the bugs are more prevalent in the older and more compact areas (condos and apartments). We have been in our present home in Palm Desert for three years and have never seen a roach, and we don't have a pest control service. I have never seen a scorpian.

As for the weather, everyone jokes about "Wait until August!" We expect a bad month, so we go on vacation or just stay indoors during mid-day. The summer mornings are glorious and the evenings are amazing! I can empathize with the outdoor workers, though.

A previous poster said that there's no middle ground, you either love the desert or hate it. I LOVE it!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:12 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliJo View Post
My first inclination is to play 'Brer Rabbit' and agree that no one should have to live here, but that wouldn't be fair. I grew up vacationing in Palm Springs in the 1950's and moved here full time in 1983. This is, and will always be, my home. Is it perfect? No. If you can find a perfect place, please inform me. Our first home was in the old movie colony area in Palm Springs, and it was loaded with roaches. We've moved several times over the years (always farther south down-valley) and it has been our experience that the bugs are more prevalent in the older and more compact areas (condos and apartments). We have been in our present home in Palm Desert for three years and have never seen a roach, and we don't have a pest control service. I have never seen a scorpian.

As for the weather, everyone jokes about "Wait until August!" We expect a bad month, so we go on vacation or just stay indoors during mid-day. The summer mornings are glorious and the evenings are amazing! I can empathize with the outdoor workers, though.

A previous poster said that there's no middle ground, you either love the desert or hate it. I LOVE it!!!
We LOVE IT here too!!!

We had the roaches and the scorpions in Palm Desert (not a lot though, because of pest control) and we were in a new home in Tierra Vista (across from Indian Ridge CC). We are in a new home in La Quinta and have not had either a roach or a scorpion yet, that I know of, but again, we have pest control. It's just something we will always have whether we see bugs or not. I will always anticipate bugs because we have parrots, and our parrots sling their seeds and fruits around, which attracts bugs. I clean it up, of course, but I can't babysit these guys all day long. LOL

Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,300 times
Good question....what's wrong with North palm springs. ? People, place, amenities"....I hear a dog whistling !

Old 06-17-2015, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 11,041 times
Default heat in palm desert

yes it gets hot here 3 to 4 months a year but for 8 months its beautiful . I've been for 2 years and i like it , moved here from newport beach ( spoiled rotten for the weather) but in the time ive been here what would be considered a very hot day in NPB (85 degrees) feels much cooler that it would think>Maybe ive been "acclimatized"

Old 06-17-2015, 05:23 PM

67 posts, read 156,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dig2dye View Post
you don't want to live in North pam Springs or Desert hot Springs. You do want to live in Rancho Mirage, very nice.
This is so true!

Old 06-17-2015, 05:25 PM

67 posts, read 156,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog whistle View Post
Good question....what's wrong with North palm springs. ? People, place, amenities"....I hear a dog whistling !
Gangs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties