Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,604 times

Advertisements

Hello, we will be moving to a 3000 sq ft house in the Murrieta / Temecula area and would really like a good estimate of what an electric bill runs for that size house in the area. The house was built in early 2000s. No pool. We will be home all day and usually keep the house around 78 degrees in the summer. Any information would help! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 09:05 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
I think I can help.
Since you likely bought a 2-story, with the bedrooms are upstairs, it stands to reason that it's going to be hotter than Hell upstairs, when you're trying to sleep. Even tho, the den/Living/Fam rooms downstairs are chilly. Perfect, eh?
Now, IF you did get a place with a downstairs bedrm, then consider yourself lucky.
Let's see, you want your place at 78F. If that's upstairs, then your downstairs may likely be 10F cooler. Or, if you keep the downstairs at 78F, then plan on mid 80's for upstairs when you're trying to sleep.
To your query. Got solar? If not, then plan on $650/month to cool that oven, during Summer. With solar, it'll be even more...

Great first post, btw!

Old 03-02-2021, 09:51 PM

32 posts, read 65,075 times
Before solar, the bills summed up to $2,000/yr in Temecula. After solar, it’s negative.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:26 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningDew84 View Post
Hello, we will be moving to a 3000 sq ft house in the Murrieta / Temecula area and would really like a good estimate of what an electric bill runs for that size house in the area. The house was built in early 2000s. No pool. We will be home all day and usually keep the house around 78 degrees in the summer. Any information would help! Thank you!!
I had family member living there for almost 10 years. Only ran the A/C starting late morning and until about 3PM, then shut it off and opened the windows for the breeze coming through the passes in the coastal range. Nice and cool after that.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:51 AM

9 posts, read 24,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchang43 View Post
Before solar, the bills summed up to $2,000/yr in Temecula. After solar, it’s negative.
What do you mean negative? Negative as in you don’t owe anything at the end of the month and they actually owe you?

Not familiar with solar.

Thanks

Old 03-03-2021, 01:17 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnow View Post
What do you mean negative? Negative as in you don’t owe anything at the end of the month and they actually owe you?

Not familiar with solar.

Thanks
Can't leave out the costs of solar to begin with as it is really a monthly cost, it just depends on if you pay for it up front or over time. Last time I looked it was about $30,000.00

Old 03-03-2021, 10:55 PM

Negative as the solar system generated more than we consumed due to coronavirus. SCE issued refunds after 12 months. When we put in the system in 2019, it was designed to break even. Solar works well for our situation. It’s not one size fits all. YMMV.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,604 times
Hi all, thank you for your responses. I was wondering if someone lives specifically in the Murrieta/Temecula area and what your house size is, how you have AC set & if you are home all day or not, if you have a pool or not, vs. your electric bill in summer/winter (if you have solar, what is the electricity consumption)? I found a thread with some examples but it's from 2013 and the latest responses are in 2017, so it would be great to get an updated view. Thank uou for your help in advance.

Old 03-09-2021, 01:01 PM

@OP, our house is about the same size as yours. No pool. Like I said, the electricity bill was about $2,000/year.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
If the cooling system is dual-zone, add preference points to the "should I buy this place?" score.

The cooling effect from the ocean mentioned earlier is a definite plus. On the majority of the afternoons during the hot season, the cool onshore flow will funnel through the Rainbow Gap anywhere between 1 and 3, with the average at 1:45 pm.

We have a place in La Cresta section of Murrieta, and once that flow starts, the aircon can give way to the whole-house fan. I won't bother posting an estimate of the monthly electricity $$$ because much of our usage is for irrigation of the avocados, citrus, persimmons, and grapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties