Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 26,827 times

Advertisements

I am moving there and know nothing about it or the surrounding area. What is it like? nice? undesirable? safe? etc.

What are the closest towns and what is the weather like?

I am going to school there I believe and have not even been out to visit. Thank you,
kristin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 09:51 PM

44 posts, read 246,259 times
Well, it depends heavily on what part of Ontario. What school are you going to? The only University I can think of out there would be University of LaVerne or one of the Claremont colleges. UofL has a Great law school by the way, its the only ABA Accredited school in the Inland Empire. =)

Weather: Californian. We only have two seasons. Summer, and Winter.

Traffic: You can't escape it anywhere you go in California.

Crime: Ontario isn't that bad. If you stay in near the subdivisions, and sea of homes, you should be OK.

Things to Do: Ontario Mills, Victoria Gardens, The Beach is an hour away. The San Bernardino Mountains are an hour away.

Other: Ontario INTL Airport is awesome! Its so much faster than LAX, but plane tickets are usually more money to fly in and out of Ontario.

Closest towns: Rancho Cucamonga, Chino, Claremont, Fontana, Riverside, Lytle Creek, etc..

Overall, its a nice place to live if you stay near the newly developed areas. Victoria Gardens is a very nice, modern day, outside mall.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:26 AM

7 posts, read 26,827 times
thank you so much for your response. Yes it is U of Laverne law school and I am so thrilled to be coming out to the west coast, I live in Northern va now and have all of my life.

So what area would be closest to the school? also safe and not super expensive? I hope to get a one bedroom.

The traffic is so horrible here in dc metro area but I guess I wont be able to escape it there. oh well I will trade better weather for no traffic improvement.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:56 AM

15 posts, read 84,335 times
I may be considering a move to that area also and from living here for the past 5 years, I am looking to rent, not buy. I have zeroed in on North Ontario, that is, north of the 10fwy or Rancho Cucamonga or Upland closer
to their northern borders closer to 210. These seem to be nicer areas. Claremont is great, but rent is high and you don't want to be south of the 10 there. Have you decided that LaVerne itself is too expensive?

Old 07-05-2008, 05:01 PM

16 posts, read 49,613 times
Ontario is actually a great place to live. Lots to do. The weather is nice. Cold in the Winter and Hot in the Summer. The Ontario Airport is fabulous. Quick in and out.

As for living, I actually found several nice areas South of the 60 freeway (Close to Chino). Lots of newer homes, and shopping plazas. Then there's North of the 10 freeway (closer to Upland & Rancho Cucamonga). Loads of eateries, and shopping plazas. Some historical areas.

In the middle there hasn't been that much development yet. I would also suggest going to their website (find it on this site too) to learn more. The demographic info is pretty accurate.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useful View Post
Ontario is actually a great place to live. Lots to do. The weather is nice. Cold in the Winter and Hot in the Summer. .
By cold, this poster means cold by So Cal inland valley standards, not Minnesota or Maine standards. There is no snow or ice, and the lowest winter temps tend to fall in the high 30s to low 40s. Once in a blue moon you'll see mid-twenties.

The summers are torrid but the humidity is low, and you know what they say about a dry heat.

In the Fall, the Santa Ana Winds are a common occurrence, and those have to be experienced to be appreciated. 70 to 100mph gusts are not uncommon, and the winds are bone dry, sucking the moisture out of everything and everybody.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:28 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Just like w/ many other cities, there are good parts & worse parts of Ontario. The newer developed areas like another poster said is of course nicer. I wouldn't live in the area of Ontario where the city of Monclair is next to. I work for a school district where the elementary schools are in Ontario & Montclair & those schools are in kind of crummy areas.

I think the nicest city in San Bernardino county is Rancho Cucamonga. It's not just because I live here, but it's truely the nicest. I can't really think of a bad part of Rancho C, but in most other cities in the county, there are good & crummier parts.

Even for a 1 bedroom apt, be prepared to pay about $900 - 1150/mo for rent. (Just for comparison, the city of RC's rent is about $1000 - $1450/mo).

Old 07-06-2008, 10:41 AM

160 posts, read 865,227 times
Don't forget Chino Hills, it's also in San Bernardino County and is really nice and safe... and expensive of course.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:54 PM

16 posts, read 272,305 times
like the others posters have said...it depends what part

from D street south till u hit Francis is not a good area at all....alot of gang activity...shootings...drug sales...the whole 9...

most of western ontario is not great either until u hit about 4 street...

the area around john gavlin park and east of grove isnt nice either...i was actually hit up and almost jumped at that park by the local varrio when i was younger but was able to get away...

Holt blvd is infamous for prostitution and slanging in ontario montclair and pomona...

the nicer areas are below the 60 bordering chino or far to the north bordering upland....

Last edited by the one 1; 07-06-2008 at 08:24 PM..

Old 07-06-2008, 07:02 PM

16 posts, read 272,305 times
the weather is nice imo...never cold imo...can get hella hot in the summers but its not awful....

closest cities are montclair...chino...upland...pomona...claremont... rancho...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties