Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:56 PM

330 posts, read 1,314,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post
texas:

Unless you're on the coast, "kid friendly" contributes to lower crime and higher values. that's a fact - deal with it.
If people don't have children, they don't have values?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 PM

419 posts, read 1,449,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
If people don't have children, they don't have values?
I didn't say that.

How's this: Name one safe area that has strong property values (relative to the rest of the market...) that doesn't have, say, a good school district. The only exceptions that I can think of are those on the coast and/or those that offer good school districts (one strong indicator of being "family friendly").

Here's your cheat sheet: www.lalife.com

As a follow up, I will guaran-damn-tee you, those areas with good schools are widely considered "family friendly."

Old 09-25-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that.

How's this: Name one safe area that has strong property values (relative to the rest of the market...) that doesn't have, say, a good school district. The only exceptions that I can think of are those on the coast and/or those that offer good school districts (one strong indicator of being "family friendly").

Here's your cheat sheet: www.lalife.com

As a follow up, I will guaran-damn-tee you, those areas with good schools are widely considered "family friendly."
I see what you are saying. It seems to go together then. But, people that don't have children are not as concerned about good school districts and kid-friendly communities. They may be more concerned about affordability, job growth, culture, or night life. San Francisco, CA, Chicago IL, Baltimore, MD and Detroit, MI are very kid-unfriendly compared to other USA cities. Businesses and restaurants stay open later and the parks are not as well maintained as family oriented bedroom communities. It is not easy to find all you want in one location. There are usually trade offs.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:54 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbar3000 View Post
Many people would like to tell you that Temecula and Murrieta is NOT the inland empire, since the median income is about 75K there, but it IS the inland empire down there, even though people would like to think it is the "new orange county". Oh, and Temecula and Murrieta is in Riverside County, even though many people would like to believe it is San Diego County!

The job market in many of these cities are poor and I'd hate to let you know that, but in the Temecula area, in my experience, jobs pay less in Temecula as compared with Ontario. Now, I'm going off of my experience from 1995-2002. I'm not sure what it is like now. I know I wouldn't want to work in Temecula, unless I am a manager. The closer you get to L.A or Orange County, the pay is better.
I consider the greater Temecula area to be the IE, but it doesn't fit many stereotypes associated with the IE (not smoggy at all, low crime, good schools, etc). The IE is a large area with a lot of variation; lumping it all together does a disservice to it. There are good areas & bad areas. Temecula is a boring, cookie-cutter, upper middle class suburb for the most part.
I am happy to say that Temecula is growing though, albeit much of it is chain store sprawl. Good news is, Old Town Temecula is planned to become like Old Town Pasadena. I think the area has a lot of potential for more culture & personality if it moves in that direction.

I earn more money in Temecula than I can find outside the area. In LA, SD & OC I got offered consistently lower money. I think there is less competition in the job market actually, so if you're a talented professional you can actualy have the upper hand in negotoating your salary here. LA & OC have a lot of people applying to their jobs, so the employer has the upper hand.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I earn more money in Temecula than I can find outside the area. In LA, SD & OC I got offered consistently lower money. I think there is less competition in the job market actually, so if you're a talented professional you can actualy have the upper hand in negotoating your salary here. LA & OC have a lot of people applying to their jobs, so the employer has the upper hand.
Your experience is not typical.

The supply of skilled workers in the IE far outweighs the demand for skilled labor, as strongly and vividly evidenced by the flow of traffic every morning and afternoon.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:58 PM

Default Work in the IE/Not!

Quote:

The supply of skilled workers in the IE far outweighs the demand for skilled labor, as strongly and vividly evidenced by the flow of traffic every morning and afternoon.
You are right. There have been surveys conducted in the Inland Empire. Hardly any of the residents live and work in the Inland Empire. The majority of them commute to LA and OC for their jobs. Unless they are employed at the school districts, hospitals or shopping malls. Many labor workers and sales reps work all over and spend most of the day driving to get there. There are a lot of people working at a desk doing project payday or some other work at home scheme. A lot of stay at home moms and trophy wives selling Avon, Mary Kay and Tubberware. That is the typical Inland Empire way of life. I will rather live in LA and have a shorter commute or take public transportation.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:37 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
What is it that you do for a living if I may ask?

Quote:
I consider the greater Temecula area to be the IE, but it doesn't fit many stereotypes associated with the IE (not smoggy at all, low crime, good schools, etc). The IE is a large area with a lot of variation; lumping it all together does a disservice to it. There are good areas & bad areas. Temecula is a boring, cookie-cutter, upper middle class suburb for the most part.
I am happy to say that Temecula is growing though, albeit much of it is chain store sprawl. Good news is, Old Town Temecula is planned to become like Old Town Pasadena. I think the area has a lot of potential for more culture & personality if it moves in that direction.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:26 PM

Speaking of which, that1guy - keep us posted on your job search. I was actually thinking about our exchange the other day, wondering if you would end up biting the same bullet I did and taking a gig closer to the coast.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:38 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
Quote:
My point is, many people don't look for professional jobs in the area to begin with, and maybe they are missing out. I got my job through a temp agency several years ago, and they were drooling over me because so few qualified people had applied through them, and they had several local companies to place temp to hire positions. Now I know that's just my personal experience, but my point is simply that it is possible if you are skilled & really make an effort to look. For me, it was as simple as going to an agency. I was really surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
What is it that you do for a living if I may ask?
I'd rather not say....it's specific and I'd like to maintain some anonymity. Let's just say I went to college, and you don't necessarily need a degree to do my job, but you do need professional skill.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
I'd rather not say....it's specific and I'd like to maintain some anonymity. Let's just say I went to college, and you don't necessarily need a degree to do my job, but you do need professional skill.
Right. If your job is that specific, why extrapolate your experience to the entire region??

Last edited by ConsideringLA; 09-29-2008 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties