Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 12:20 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times

Advertisements

"I don't know why people say produce is higher or hard to get"

Because it is a fact. Buy leaf lettuce recently where you are for $.79 ? Ever try to get Tri Tip east of the Rockies ? If I can even find it, it is at least $10/lb in NC...I have paid no more than 4.99/lb trimmed, sometimes less for the last 6 weeks in Santa Maria. 90% of lettuce for the country comes out of CA and AZ, transportation adds up. A majority of strawberries, virtually all of the brussels sprouts, artichokes, almonds, pistachios, walnuts originate in CA.

California Produces Most Fruits And Vegetables In U.S.

California is responsible for nearly 70% of U.S. fruit and vegetable production.

19 Crops That Are Grown Only in California

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but....fruits and veggies are more expensive elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 02:07 PM

81 posts, read 81,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
How can your taxes increase that much? That is the whole point of Prop 13. My Texas friends are seeing property tax increases greater than that tho.
Because even though they're capped at 1% a year, a lot of Bond measures are put on the ballot and a majority of them get passed. Depending on where you live, that adds to the overall property tax bill. Many of the measures have done nothing but screw the public.

Old 07-28-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
We left 15 years ago. We bought a larger home on a big wooded lot with a pool and big garden area. Our property taxes are $1200 and now that we turned 65, next year we start getting some senior discount. Honestly I'm super happy with $1200.

We're 20 minutes from mountains, 3 hours from the other ocean and a little further to the gulf. Lakes are all over. Winters are milder than up north. It's hot right now in summer but not as bad as inland CA, AZ, NV, etc. I don't mind the humidity at all, it doesn't take long to get used to the change. My skin was always overly dry when we lived out west.

Because housing is more reasonable in the SE, many people own a second home on the coast.

And we grow plenty on this side of the country, I don't know why people say produce is higher or hard to get. I think that's a California urban legend. My daughter in law believed her friends who told her that when she moved here. She started crying in the grocery when she saw avocados. She'll never move back either.

We also love being in a smaller populated area. It's nice driving and being able to avoid traffic in most places.

Good luck deciding.
Thanks Kara... I'm guessing your in North Carolina?

Old 07-28-2023, 08:17 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwb View Post
Thanks Kara... I'm guessing your in North Carolina?
Almost, northwest corner of South Carolina.

Old 07-29-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Very nice!

Old 07-30-2023, 10:50 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
My wife and I like visiting the area, particularly Palm Springs. Would we ever move there? Probably not, mostly because of the cost of living and the climate - we aren't desert people.

Old 07-30-2023, 06:36 PM

817 posts, read 921,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCoastJon View Post
Your generation (Baby Boomers) has benefited greatly from Proposition 13, the cause of most of our housing cost problems in California. That said, why not just buy a second property in a cooler place for the summer? It sounds feasible based on your situation. Then if you decide you like the place, you can move there full time. Also, the air quality here is not really that great. Maybe better than it was in the 1970s, but it’s actually getting worse again due to an excessive number of warehouses and diesel trucks.
Prop 13 is not the cause of high real estate prices in CA. SoCal is mostly built out. What remains is between the 60 and the 91 in the IE, plus another very distant part of the IE along the 215 between Riverside and Temecula. Being out of buildable space is the major cause of prices rising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
I would move out of CA if I lived there. This state is dying and thousands of people are moving out. If you can't afford to move, I guess your stuck but I would get out. It's so much better once you leave the mess of CA.
Thousands of people moving out, still 1.5 times the population of Texas.

Quote:
Yes, you're correct. With Prop 13 in place, I'm currently paying just $2300 a year over what I started paying on this house in 2005. Still, my taxes will go to $7340 next year and as I near full retirement, that'll be a burden. Not really in a position to buy a 2nd home. It would be a good idea if I could though, thanks.
What happened? My property tax in CA was $1100 on a house I bought for $155K in 1992, sold in 2015 when my job was moved to Texas)

(for comparison purposes, I am paying Texas $4400 on a house I bought for $230K in 2015, and paying $3000 for a condo I bought in Illinois for $36K in 1979).

Old 07-31-2023, 07:07 PM

10,289 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Because even though they're capped at 1% a year, a lot of Bond measures are put on the ballot and a majority of them get passed. Depending on where you live, that adds to the overall property tax bill. Many of the measures have done nothing but screw the public.
Increases are capped at 2% per annum. But you're right, all the other costs/fees/bonds screw the taxpayer.

Now, about your conundrum~ Since you've been here 55 years, you likely grew up in this area. You KNOW this area. If you were to vacate this area, you may feel like a "fish outta water." This feeling can cause stress.

If we've seen anything with seniors, is that if you take them out of their element, you are burying them

within 9 months. This usually happens at their desire to be "closer to the following familial generations."

So, how to satisfy this urge to live elsewhere, while still having the "safety net" of home...

Pick a location that you think you might like to live. Rent a place for a year. See if the weather and quality of

life satisfies your goals. If so, then buy a place. If not, move on, or back "home." (Never sell your Calif home.)

Here comes my tagline, that I don't think I've used on C-D~

"It's better to have an $15,000 experiment, than a $225,000 mistake."

You can jumble the numbers to fit your circumstance, but you get my drift.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:01 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
Quote:
I take it you’re near Greenville SC? That’s been on my radar lately.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:54 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
I take it you’re near Greenville SC? That’s been on my radar lately.
Yes, we're just outside Greenville. We few out to this area for a long weekend when we were considering moving out of CA. Drove around the area, looked at lots of towns and homes and found our house. We made an offer and moved cross country six weeks later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties