Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 07:05 PM

81 posts, read 81,472 times

Advertisements

Hi... 63 years young here! I've been in a good section of SB County for over 55 years now. I've seen my area grow, undergo improved air quality, watch the value of my home double, felt temperatures get increasingly hotter and more humid, and seen crime escalate.. but not effect me or my family personally (yet). I'm semi-retired and can stay put, though moving to another state would enable me to be "mortgage free" and obviously experience somewhere new. Unlike many, I'm not politically motivated to leave. I won't diss this State. My taxes are high but not aggressively so, and the high cost of food and gasoline don't effect our lifestyle (yet). It's also nice to have a 10k' mountain just 10 miles to the North.

So why leave? Because I feel at times that despite the "island" I've worked towards and landed on, I'm just waiting to DIE.

Living near the LA County line, my area is now literally surrounded by 15 million people! My wife and I don't venture out towards LA or OC anymore because we know that the time spent in freeway traffic will last longer than the time spent at the destination. And honestly over the years, we've already been to most of the SoCal attractions anyway. During the Summer, we hibernate for 3 months in our AC cooled home like bears and I plan early morning trips to the grocery store just to avoid heat and the crowds. And in the Winter, we walk our usual paths, tend to arthritus issues and hope rain is in the forecast to make the days a little more interesting.

I feel like I'm ready for a change. However, part of me thinks I'll regret the choice because it's "California" and despite its reputation, people still want to be here. But on the other hand, it doesn't thrill me that we're all just one major earthquake away from financial ruin!

Any thoughts? What are your reasons for staying or leaving?

(sorry so long)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 02:08 AM

925 posts, read 1,064,456 times
I am now retired and am looking planning on staying. I have no financial incentive to move as my house is paid off and the property taxes are low due to Prop 13. I still enjoy all that So Cal has to offer. Traffic doesn’t bother me as I don’t have to drive to work and take the Metrolink into LA whenever possible to avoid the traffic. Just went last weekend to
Santa Monica on the train and it was so easy. Anyone who thinks our summers are too hot has never been to the east coast or the Midwest during the summer, lol. Also, would never move to AZ or Las Vegas as their summers are extreme. I’ll be staying here as I love it.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:25 PM

12 posts, read 15,989 times
Your generation (Baby Boomers) has benefited greatly from Proposition 13, the cause of most of our housing cost problems in California. That said, why not just buy a second property in a cooler place for the summer? It sounds feasible based on your situation. Then if you decide you like the place, you can move there full time. Also, the air quality here is not really that great. Maybe better than it was in the 1970s, but it’s actually getting worse again due to an excessive number of warehouses and diesel trucks.

Old 07-26-2023, 04:34 PM

265 posts, read 509,252 times
I would move out of CA if I lived there. This state is dying and thousands of people are moving out. If you can't afford to move, I guess your stuck but I would get out. It's so much better once you leave the mess of CA.

Old 07-27-2023, 07:41 AM

81 posts, read 81,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCoastJon View Post
Your generation (Baby Boomers) has benefited greatly from Proposition 13, the cause of most of our housing cost problems in California. That said, why not just buy a second property in a cooler place for the summer? It sounds feasible based on your situation. Then if you decide you like the place, you can move there full time. Also, the air quality here is not really that great. Maybe better than it was in the 1970s, but it’s actually getting worse again due to an excessive number of warehouses and diesel trucks.
Yes, you're correct. With Prop 13 in place, I'm currently paying just $2300 a year over what I started paying on this house in 2005. Still, my taxes will go to $7340 next year and as I near full retirement, that'll be a burden. Not really in a position to buy a 2nd home. It would be a good idea if I could though, thanks.

Old 07-27-2023, 08:37 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"and the high cost of food"....try living somewhere else before complaining about high food cost. Californians are sooo fortunate to have access to locally grown and cheap fruits and veggies. For the same cost advantage elsewhere, you must raise it yourself. Granted, my property taxes are waaaay less, my fuel costs are less, my overall COL is less, but so are wages.

I left CA in the mid 70's in search of greener pastures, and found them in multiple states, beginning in AR where my nearest neighbor was 2 miles away. I have always looked at life as one big adventure, segmented in chapters, and have been supported by a spouse who is always ready for a new adventure. We've had small farms, lived a fulltime RV life for 8 years, and have now settled in a small town with no traffic lights near a lake that would hold Lake Shasta 4 times over.

I like to live as Hunter S Thompson is quoted as saying:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

So, if you have a dream, cash out and chase it.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"and the high cost of food"....try living somewhere else before complaining about high food cost. Californians are sooo fortunate to have access to locally grown and cheap fruits and veggies. For the same cost advantage elsewhere, you must raise it yourself. Granted, my property taxes are waaaay less, my fuel costs are less, my overall COL is less, but so are wages.

I left CA in the mid 70's in search of greener pastures, and found them in multiple states, beginning in AR where my nearest neighbor was 2 miles away. I have always looked at life as one big adventure, segmented in chapters, and have been supported by a spouse who is always ready for a new adventure. We've had small farms, lived a fulltime RV life for 8 years, and have now settled in a small town with no traffic lights near a lake that would hold Lake Shasta 4 times over.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

You’re right the cost of food here is way cheaper. Whenever I travel to Minnesota to visit my parents I’m surprised how much food costs, especially vegetables, if you can even get them.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwb View Post
Yes, you're correct. With Prop 13 in place, I'm currently paying just $2300 a year over what I started paying on this house in 2005. Still, my taxes will go to $7340 next year and as I near full retirement, that'll be a burden. Not really in a position to buy a 2nd home. It would be a good idea if I could though, thanks.
How can your taxes increase that much? That is the whole point of Prop 13. My Texas friends are seeing property tax increases greater than that tho.

Old 07-28-2023, 11:30 AM

12 posts, read 15,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post

Where is all this fresh produce you speak of? Most of the produce I see in the supermarkets comes from Mexico.

Old 07-28-2023, 11:34 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwb View Post
We left 15 years ago. We bought a larger home on a big wooded lot with a pool and big garden area. Our property taxes are $1200 and now that we turned 65, next year we start getting some senior discount. Honestly I'm super happy with $1200.

We're 20 minutes from mountains, 3 hours from the other ocean and a little further to the gulf. Lakes are all over. Winters are milder than up north. It's hot right now in summer but not as bad as inland CA, AZ, NV, etc. I don't mind the humidity at all, it doesn't take long to get used to the change. My skin was always overly dry when we lived out west.

Because housing is more reasonable in the SE, many people own a second home on the coast.

And we grow plenty on this side of the country, I don't know why people say produce is higher or hard to get. I think that's a California urban legend. My daughter in law believed her friends who told her that when she moved here. She started crying in the grocery when she saw avocados. She'll never move back either.

We also love being in a smaller populated area. It's nice driving and being able to avoid traffic in most places.

Good luck deciding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties