Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2023, 02:02 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times

Advertisements

About 15+ years ago I took a Greyhound bus which stopped in Riverside, CA. Next door to the bus depot on the property of a private house, was a flamboyant outdoor display of glass bottles, tiles, concrete, etc. It seems to have been the homeowner's personal pet project, like the Watts Towers.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I want to tell my friend about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2023, 06:26 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
There's a chapel there made mostly out of empty beer bottles.

In what is perhaps Martin’s greatest tribute, a chapel has been constructed almost entirely using empty beer bottles. It features colorful pews and a painted ceiling reminiscent of the Sistine Chapel.

https://roadtrippers.com/magazine/ti...-eclectic-art/

Martin Sanchez started building his vision 10 years ago on a city block in downtown Riverside. Water features, a chapel of beer bottles, gardens, mosaics, fountains of found objects and refuse, toys and ephemera. A true naive untrained folk artist, this place is on the scale of the Watts Towers.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/...ottle%20church.

Old 11-12-2023, 06:39 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Thank you so much. I couldn't find this place again on maps, nothing, and thought I had imagined the whole thing. It's still up? I figured the city may have ordered him to tear it down.

Old 11-12-2023, 06:49 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
It's still up?
I don't know, since I don't live near Riverside, but this is an article from June of this year, so I'd think so.

https://www.avoidingregret.com/2023/...lo-magico.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
View detailed profiles of: