Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 09:27 PM

4,379 posts, read 1,694,272 times

Advertisements

Yucca Valley is in the desert, in the middle of nowhere. If you travel further to "nowhere," you will get to Twentynine Palms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 10:10 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
29 Palms was originally a town to support the Marine & civilian employee support population of the huge Marine base there, same with Yucca Valley. There also used to be mining.

It's in the Mojave Desert, which is high desert. It will always be triple-digit hot in the summer, windy, cold, blowing sand in the winter. It isn't that far from Joshua Tree, and not that much different, it just doesn't have the celebrity rep of JT. People are moving to 29 Palms because they are running out of places to go that are affordable. If you like exploring, hiking & offroading in the desert, this is the place.

I would, however, be concerned about all the illegal marijuana grows in San Bernardino County & if that would impede my ability to travel around freely.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:46 AM

3,449 posts, read 2,775,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
29 Palms was originally a town to support the Marine & civilian employee support population of the huge Marine base there, same with Yucca Valley. There also used to be mining.

It's in the Mojave Desert, which is high desert. It will always be triple-digit hot in the summer, windy, cold, blowing sand in the winter. It isn't that far from Joshua Tree, and not that much different, it just doesn't have the celebrity rep of JT. People are moving to 29 Palms because they are running out of places to go that are affordable. If you like exploring, hiking & offroading in the desert, this is the place.

I would, however, be concerned about all the illegal marijuana grows in San Bernardino County & if that would impede my ability to travel around freely.
Is there enough water to support a large population?

Old 03-22-2024, 07:36 PM

It's the desert & the source is ground water. I knew people who had tanks & had their water trucked in.

Then there is this.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...tions/2661219/

Old 03-22-2024, 08:50 PM

1,908 posts, read 1,273,325 times
Quote:

Thanks for the info. Yea, there are a lot of people that are moving to more rural areas because it's just too expensive to survive in areas that are more populated.

Quote:
It's the desert & the source is ground water. I knew people who had tanks & had their water trucked in.

Then there is this.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...tions/2661219/
Hopefully that would change over time. I'm of the opinion that as time goes by and more people come in to areas like 29, more stuff like that gets pushed away.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:14 PM

I forgot to add that a lot of the "tiny houses" are old homesteader's shacks that were built in the 1950's.They & the land could be purchased for $20-$30K or maybe less a few years ago. There may still be some of them around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties