Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 05:31 AM

2 posts, read 17,475 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm from Germany and will be moving back to California in November. I have lived in LA for several years in the past and liked it, but now I would prefer a slower pace and a more laid back lifestyle, less traffic, better air, beautiful natural settings, friendly people and cheaper rent! I love the desert, so I 'm considering the Palm Springs area. Where exactly I'm not sure yet, but maybe you could help me decide. I'm a single female in her late fourties, no kids. I already found some info here in previous posts, but some things are still not clear to me.

What's the difference for example between Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage and La Quinta? And why do people say "don't move to North PS, it's windy!" ? What's wrong with the wind? Doesn't it make the hot summers cooler? Does it make the winter colder? Some people said North PS is more citylike. What do you mean by that? I'd like a safe area that has some shops, restaurants, bars or coffee places. Are there any other areas I should consider?

How is the job market? I have 20 years of experience in clerical work and speak several languages, but I'm flexible and willing to do any kind of decent work, as long as I earn enough to make a living.

And - sorry, but I have to ask this - I read somewhere that PS is the gayest town in the US... now don't get me wrong, I love gay guys and don't mind being in that kind of scene at all, but are there any straight single men out there?

Alright, many questions, and you don't have to answer that last one if you don't want to, but I'd really appreciate any kind of advice you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 11:48 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
I can't answer most of your questions, but I do know that the wind doesn't make it any cooler out there. The wind is extremely hot and will actually make it feel more uncomfortable.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 15,829 times
Wind in the desert is NOT fun. Our low desert is in a valley and anything right in the middle of that valley is further away from the mountains & surrounded by more sand and will get more wind. And, blowing sand is never fun, in my opinion. And, no, it does nothing to change the temperature. Yes, P.S. has a high gay population, but you will find people of all types living there. There are numerous cities/towns all within minutes of each other, so being in P.S. does not segregate you from others at all. It is definately a buyers market right now, so if you can, I suggest you take some time renting while you search the area and types of properties you may like to live in permanently. Whether it is a single family home totally self maintained or partially maintained by a homeowners association, or a condo/townhouse, whether you want amenities like golf, tennis, gym, or not, you have a lot to choose from. The ages & prices of homes are all over the place right now for sure! From low $100K to infinity!
Good luck!
Caryl

Old 07-31-2008, 12:28 AM

64 posts, read 260,989 times
I have lived in north palm springs for 21 years. The wind blows 24/7 during the summer, and no it is not a pleasant wind. It gets up to 30+mph and that's on a calm day, and it is a hot wind blowing nothing but hot air. South palm springs on the other hand recieves no wind at all. You walk outside and get blasted with sand in your face. It gets all in your hair and ears. I would suggest living in la quinta, rancho mirage, palm desert, or indian wells. Those are the classy cities of the valley. Palm Springs is the 2nd gayest city in the US behind san fransisco of course. You will have trouble finding a single straight male in palm springs since it is nothing but gay bars. There is even a street just for homosexuals. That's how serious it is.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:43 PM

120 posts, read 470,556 times
Default A street just for gays in Palm Springs?

I'd like to hear more about this street....

Old 01-19-2010, 06:54 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times
I personaly like Palm Desert,La Quinta and Rancho Mirage over Palm Springs. Rancho Mirage will be more expensive than Palm Desert and La Quinta.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:16 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
I personaly like Palm Desert,La Quinta and Rancho Mirage over Palm Springs. Rancho Mirage will be more expensive than Palm Desert and La Quinta.
More expensive as opposed to what? It really all depends on what the OP is looking for. Some places in RM are more expensive than PD and LQ, some places in LQ are more expensive than PD and RM, and some places in PD are more expensive than RM or LQ. Remember that PD has Bighorn, La Quinta has The Quarry, Indian Wells has The Vintage and The Reserve. RM merely has a small enclave of houses above the now defunct Ritz-Carlton called The Mirada, but I believe the others are more expensive than The Mirada.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:52 PM

130 posts, read 291,633 times
at one point last year riverside county had the 2nd highest unemployment rate in the state with the third highest unemployment in the union. I would try to tie a job up before I moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties