Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:57 PM

445 posts, read 1,810,187 times

Advertisements

Hi All

Just curious if anyone is getting out of California??? If so where are you going and Why??

I have been here my entire life, and am looking for a slow down....We are in Temecula and have 3 little kids under 5.....Looking for a GREAT place to raise them....But NO SNOW ( or atleast only a little!!)

Any thoughts are appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 12:32 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Moved out of California, to Colorado (Denver area), a little over a year ago.

I was raised in Corona and Riverside, and was there most of my life. Moved to a small town up in the high desert for three years (hell), and decided small-town life wasn't for me. I decided I wanted a big city, with less traffic (than So. Calif), lower cost-of-living, and what you don't want, snow.

So here I am.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:37 AM

18 posts, read 87,600 times
I used to live in So. Cal, Ventura/Santa Paula areas, it was beautiful, the weather there is wonderful, but now i'd be totally priced out of it too. the weather here is very hot in summers and occassional snow, but mostly in the mountains. I now live in Far No. Cali. and am being priced out of it, looks like a lot of places are thus, but up here is smaller and a bit more kid friendly, i'd say Redding or Chico areas though, as where im at is just too small of a town, and you'd really find out that that's a bad thing when you don't have competetive businesses, they all cheat you, as they are "the only game in town" and a lot of family preferences as well.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:05 AM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,147 times
I've lived in a lot of places in my life, and can say that Temecula has been incredible for raising a family. If that's your number one goal, it's probably going to be hard to find much better. Of couse if you want a more rural location, then of course this isn't the place to be. If I simply had to move away (hopefully that never happens), we'd probably go to Richardson, TX. Just outside of Dallas, you can take the train right to downtown, has a great school district, very, very, very, affordable housing, and really convenient to universities and a slew of employers. Buuuuuut, it's probably not really a slowdown....it's basically the Texas version of Temecula Good luck in your search!

Old 08-16-2008, 08:22 AM

656 posts, read 1,309,608 times
CA is definitely not utopia. My husband and i grew up here and it's not the same place it was back then. we will be moving to WI actually next summer when our youngest graduates. maybe you should think of moving to the south. It's slower and little to no snow. good luck. P.S. i currently live in Menifee and hate going to temecula because the 215 gets too packed coming home. and there is alot of traffic in temecula too. other than that temecula is nice enough.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:07 AM

445 posts, read 1,810,187 times
Hi

i have lived in California ALL my life, my husband and i are natives (unlike most people who say they are from California, that move from somewhere else) Anyways i have lived in Temecula 22 years, and oh the changes.....

I would say 10 years ago it would have been a GREAT place for a family, but now it is just "too" much everything!!! People in general are too much in a hurry, too rude, too impatient, too unhappy with lots of things...i just think there has got to be a better life available. Granted it will be what you make it, but there has just got to be something else!!

We looked at St. George Utah, it was beautiful, small, close to the lake and california, but the while i have nothing against mormons, we are not, and from what i read online, i was not willing to move my kids with the "chance" that it could be a problem.

We went to Austin Texas, last year, and it was nice, but the weather scared me, the humidity they "say" is unbearable.....I am regretting our decision to stay, but it was just not the right time for us, or place.

So i am spending this year doing some research and at the start of the summer 09, we are taking a road trip, to the places i find that suit us most.
So any suggestions, i am open too.......i am always curious why people leave and if they miss the things they "think" they will the most or not.....

Thanks!!!!!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:22 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,439,909 times
Im about 15 miles from Temecula.. The place is just getting too crowded, and Calif schools are less than desireable.. We're headed to N. Idaho. It may snow a bit but I will trade all the good side for snow anyday. The place we bought land gets 16" on average yearly snowfall. I dont know why people freak about snow, heck it snows in NYC..;-) I will say though, if your going to be in Calif. Temecula is far from the worst place to be.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:28 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post
Hi

i have lived in California ALL my life, my husband and i are natives (unlike most people who say they are from California, that move from somewhere else) Anyways i have lived in Temecula 22 years, and oh the changes.....

I would say 10 years ago it would have been a GREAT place for a family, but now it is just "too" much everything!!! People in general are too much in a hurry, too rude, too impatient, too unhappy with lots of things...i just think there has got to be a better life available. Granted it will be what you make it, but there has just got to be something else!!

So i am spending this year doing some research and at the start of the summer 09, we are taking a road trip, to the places i find that suit us most.
So any suggestions, i am open too.......i am always curious why people leave and if they miss the things they "think" they will the most or not.....

Thanks!!!!!
I'm a third generation native. In ten days I'm moving to Oklahoma. I've always wanted out of the rush and crowds, but like you its so much worse than it was. I don't recognize this place anymore.

I have friends in town so it will help, but truthfully my friends are all over the place, and I can contact them on the net as well there. Family now...I'll miss them.

But I'm leaving for the same reasons. And I'm moving to a house which I could not do here. I'm done with apartments...

I've been thinking a lot about what I'll miss, and who knows if I'm right. But the fast paced rush will not be one of those things lol

The road trip idea is a good one. Get a feel for an area. You should also check the housing prices for your internary beforehand. I actually followed the house I'm moving to on realitor.com as it dropped down and down before I asked to see it.

Sad that there is a huge migration out of California, including a lot of natives, because of our insane cost of living but also because the state I remember had faded away

Old 08-17-2008, 05:19 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,147 times
In addition to the roadtrip (great idea!) you can also find the forums on this web-site for the differnet cities you're considering. Maybe ask this same question there, except "Did anyone move from Cali, and are you happy about your decision?". If you can get a quality of life elsewhere that you can't here (like if you want a lot of land, or an enormous house for half the price), then a move is probably the best choice. Buuuuuut, there are some intangibles that you, as a native, might miss. Hearing it from other natives who already made the leap might help you out. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2008, 07:48 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,546,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post
Hi All

Just curious if anyone is getting out of California??? If so where are you going and Why??

I have been here my entire life, and am looking for a slow down....We are in Temecula and have 3 little kids under 5.....Looking for a GREAT place to raise them....But NO SNOW ( or atleast only a little!!)

Any thoughts are appreciated!!
I was in your shoes 40 years ago...3 little ones under 5. My husband got out of the Air Force and wanted to move us back to his home state of Illinois. Being a young mom, who had never been away from home, I didn't want to leave California. So we stayed here and raised our kids, who now have kids of their own. This is the lesson I learned from that experience...move now while your children are young and raise them in a place that's slower, less crazy, less liberal, more friendly, less conjested, the list goes on! Don't wait like we did...we are retired now and hoping to find that spot to spend our retirement years...the only thing that's really hard is leaving our kids and their kids behind!! Oh...and we are looking at Tennessee...4 seasons, mild winters, conservative, friendly people, slower pace of life and housing that is still affordable! Good luck and God bless!

Last edited by carmac; 08-17-2008 at 08:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties