U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 12:48 PM

69 posts, read 1,096,163 times

Advertisements

Does Riverside Co. have a fire or noise ordinance?

I have a neighbor that is out in their back yard until 3,4,5 am or later drinking and making extremely large and smokey fires in their fire pit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 09:53 AM

22 posts, read 119,927 times
Your best bet is to check with your local code enforcement department. They should be under city government. You can call to make a complaint or write a letter. I lived in San Bernardino County and lived with a similar situation. It was awful!!! I completely empathize with you however, my complaint only made my situation worse. My neighbor ended up making more noise just to spite us. Long story short we sold our house and live out of state now. If it wasn't for that disrespectful neighbor I would still be in my beloved Cali.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:18 PM

That's what I'm afraid of. But OMG I can't get any sleep!

Old 08-22-2008, 01:39 PM

83 posts, read 356,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzy View Post
Does Riverside Co. have a fire or noise ordinance?

I have a neighbor that is out in their back yard until 3,4,5 am or later drinking and making extremely large and smokey fires in their fire pit.
Silly question, but have you talked to your neighbor about it? Chances are that they don't realize how disturbing they're being. I used to have someone who lived behind me in my last house who came home late with friends and was quite loud. The house was lower than mine (their house backed a hill and mine was at the top of that hill).. they didn't realize that all the noise from their house traveled up the hill and right into my room. When my wife told him that we could hear all the "noises" he & his girlfriend (and friends) were making in the hot tub, they immediately stopped.

Sometimes they just need to be made aware and a friendly chat can solve it.

Then again, if they're just being rude, getting drunk and annoying eveyone they may not stop and you should bring the local authorities in to talk to them. Good luck with that.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:58 PM

22 posts, read 119,927 times
SoCal is right. Try talking to your neighbor about it. In my case my Husband tried to establish a neighborley relationship first. He even went to the extreme of helping him finish roofing his house on a stormy day so his new plywood wouldn't get wet. It didn't matter, some people just don't get it. It wasn't until I cracked that I had to bring in the authorities. Although, I do have to say, this experience opened the door for me to become more involved with my community. I volunteered for the city and became a neighborhood watch leader. That was fun Best of luck!

Old 08-22-2008, 04:05 PM

I was going to go talk to them....Then that night I overheard them talking about how they like to break things and kick in windows, etc. and things like that. They do not sleep, they could be tweakers.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:29 PM

681 posts, read 2,702,971 times
Before you do anything I'd have a couple of weeks of taped conversations [that were clearly overheard on your property] stashed somewhere else. If they are what you think they are their comments might be significantly interesting to the local SO, and that could lead to your best solution. Also, it would be a shame if the state narcotics folk tested their property for traces of that residue and the building had to be emptied out, red-tagged and decontaminated. Could take months. [Give you a chance to catch up on sleep unless the contractors worked early or late].

But be safe. Don't rely on recording devices and records stored on your property, alone.

Once you have some "ammo" stored you might consider installing a motion-detector security light in your backyard. Pass the word in the 'hood its ostensibly because someone has been "prowling" in your yard at night, etc. The light coming on [maybe helped by you] for a few minutes from time to time should be noticeable to the neighbors and might get them to thinking about relocating their gab-site, which is what you're looking for anyway.

I agree with not challenging them directly, based on what you overheard. Getting involved with neighborhood watch groups can be quite rewarding. Best wishes.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the tips!

Ugh. I hear him out there right now raking out the fire pit. OMG I'm LOATHING nighttime! And I was so relaxed here....I'm going to have to get earplugs...and nose plugs! lol. Wish me luck!

Old 05-28-2017, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,974 times
We recently had two different neighbors start driving for towing companies in our neighborhood. They back their trucks out and down the steep street and the backing indicators come on at all hours of the night. Is this allowed in a residential area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties