Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:30 AM

277 posts, read 626,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
The area is absolutely beautiful, and you are completely away from the California congestion. I went there as a young child, and it's an awesome place. There is hardly any traffic, the summer's are extremely warm, but it does cool down at night. The low for the winter months is 31 with a high of about 60. The low for the summer months is about 61, with the high being 99 as a dry heat(weather.comApple Valley). I know little more, but head up there, I think you will like it alot.
The traffic is bad out there and the weather is not as nice as you think, I have seen winter temps as low a 4 degrees on a visit there in the 80's and summers temps can get well over 100, it does cool down at night most of the time.

I lived in Apple Valley for a few years in the 90's before buying a House in Phelan, the roads are better in Apple Valley but other than that I would take Phelan, Pinion Hills or Oak Hills anyday over Apple Valley. Apple Valley used to be a quiet retirement area but it has changed a lot over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 04:19 PM

215 posts, read 985,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
The traffic is bad out there and the weather is not as nice as you think, I have seen winter temps as low a 4 degrees on a visit there in the 80's and summers temps can get well over 100, it does cool down at night most of the time.

I lived in Apple Valley for a few years in the 90's before buying a House in Phelan, the roads are better in Apple Valley but other than that I would take Phelan, Pinion Hills or Oak Hills anyday over Apple Valley. Apple Valley used to be a quiet retirement area but it has changed a lot over the years.
So 20 years ago it was 4 degrees one day wow I've been here eights years and the coldest has been 20 degrees no where near 4 But I would have to agree on Phelan and Oak Hills rather then Apple Valley

Old 02-14-2009, 06:39 PM

277 posts, read 626,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booz30 View Post
So 20 years ago it was 4 degrees one day wow I've been here eights years and the coldest has been 20 degrees no where near 4 But I would have to agree on Phelan and Oak Hills rather then Apple Valley

I had single digit temps for several days in a row in January of 2008, we are usually only at most 5 or 6 degrees below Apple Valley temps at my elevation. The original post that I responded too mentioned lows of only 30 for winters there.

I run a weather station at home so I keep track of the weather here. Yesterday I had 3" of snow and the overnight low was 23.

To be accurate a thermometer must be properly sited so as to not be influenced by other temperature sources.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:55 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,332 times
The high desert weather sounds better in theory than it turns out to be. Windy, almost daily, with big ranges of temperatures, brutal summer heat, fog, ice and did I say wind? There are many nice days too, but it's a pretty challenging overall climate.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 AM

118 posts, read 388,781 times
I stumbled upon this thread when posting about restaurants in Apple Valley, Minnesota...

So I'm wondering why everyone has been so critical of Adelanto. My sister-in-law lives there with her husband and son (age 12), and I've never heard her complain about Adelanto, specifically. I'm not saying that anyone is wrong regarding their opinion of Adelanto, but no one has explained the basis of their opinions and others simply agreed with the negative opinions without elaboration. Just curious to know why Adelanto is seen as an undesirable place to live relative to other high desert communities.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,530,065 times
Adelanto in the "old town" areas was drug ridden. Not a place to go at night, most section 8 (the bad side of section 8) lived there. In the past 10 years Adelanto has added new homes, probably where your sister is maybe of Mojave or 395. Anyway, Adelanto also has a correctional facility and a medium security prision. Not that that bashes this city but it has it's troubles. Usually Med. prisions bring their families closer.
Victorville has grown leaps and bounds and IMHO is over grown with trouble now that the people from the LA and Inland Empire area moved up there.
Hesperia was a very nice place as well as I lived in Hesperia from the 90's to 2005.
I also lived in Phelan from the time I was 11 - 19, althought Phelan is nice (for a desert) and is in the middle of the desert. I believe it is not a place to raise children. The reason I say this is from my experiance from growing up in Phelan. It's the middle of the Hot desert, nothing in town for teenagers to do....so then what do they do. Drugs, parties, and such. Phelan needs to engourage a place for teenagers to go, like the movies or something. Yeah, we had the ATV's, put we used them to find parties.

I only miss the mountians!
Oak Hills and Pinon Hills in the same boat as Phelan...oh and Baldy Mesa

Old 05-06-2009, 04:17 PM

503 posts, read 1,454,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
The high desert weather sounds better in theory than it turns out to be. Windy, almost daily, with big ranges of temperatures, brutal summer heat, fog, ice and did I say wind? There are many nice days too, but it's a pretty challenging overall climate.
The wind keeps the smog away.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,235 times
Try Pinon Hills (butts up to Phelan)- it is a bit closer to Wrightwood and the school district is very good. My son lives there and they love it because they can ride their dirt bikes. He even has built track around the house for my grandson. Lots are 1+ acres and the existing houses are pretty far apart. My son has only 3 other houses near him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties